News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Its hardly on a pathway to swallowing up Aussie rules, what the AFL has done to Aussie Rules they could not of had it easier.

If you dont think soccer is coming - think again

look at that 6-14 age group -46%

the afl thinks its going to break into the nsw and qld market by being the same old parochial vic suburban league.... 02600DE3-A7F4-4C3E-B8F3-62DBB8254D76.jpeg

The concept that victorians would desert the game in hundreds of thousands if their team was relegated to a feeder league

Read my posts again, I've been clearly consistent. Clubs relegated (vic ones anyway) are likely to be followed to their relegated league. Merged clubs would be different coz it's not the same club anymore. The fans would be gone.

Yet you still in this and other threads claim the wa and sa public 'sacrificed' their teams and that is somehow the VFL's fault, when it's the public that dropped them like a bad habit. Those clubs you claim have been 'sacrificed' are still there - more than 100 years after their inception.

This is not trolling, it's you and others leaving them. 'Sacrifice' gives the impression they don't exist anymore which is just bs, and that's how you imply it.

I think I know where the trolling is coming from...........................

the afl thinks its going to break into the nsw and qld market by being the same old parochial vic suburban league....View attachment 903467

I really couldn’t give a rats mate, I will be long gone by the time or if Soccer is the biggest sport in Australia.

Cotchin and co think they are above the game. No surprise they're not performing at the moment. It's really a disgraceful attitude and the AFL need to show leadership and just send the club anyway, and leave the silver spoon brigade at home.
His smirk when he said in today's interview the premiership will be "well earned" reeks of arrogance. Fact is his clubs premierships have an asterix due to the favorable fixture. Lost all respect for Cotchin, pathetic.

Read my posts again, I've been clearly consistent. Clubs relegated (vic ones anyway) are likely to be followed to their relegated league. Merged clubs would be different coz it's not the same club anymore. The fans would be gone.

Yet you still in this and other threads claim the wa and sa public 'sacrificed' their teams and that is somehow the VFL's fault, when it's the public that dropped them like a bad habit. Those clubs you claim have been 'sacrificed' are still there - more than 100 years after their inception.

This is not trolling, it's you and others leaving them. 'Sacrifice' gives the impression they don't exist anymore which is just bs, and that's how you imply it.

I think I know where the trolling is coming from...........................

Theres no joy in watching a league that has the best players taken from it

I know this because ive experienced it - you dont know it - because you never have

A couple of hundred thousand to 11 million.

the afl will never be an absolute force across australia until they give up being a suburban league pretending to be a national league.

soccer will one day swallow us whole.

I assume the 11 million you're talking about is north of the Murray, which has never had more than a passing interest in AF anyway, and doesn't look they will any time soon.

Far reaching (trolling) again! How about you stay on topic. There are other threads (one you've recently created) for your salt and toy throwing.

Cotchin and co think they are above the game. No surprise they're not performing at the moment. It's really a disgraceful attitude and the AFL need to show leadership and just send the club anyway, and leave the silver spoon brigade at home.
His smirk when he said in today's interview the premiership will be "well earned" reeks of arrogance. Fact is his clubs premierships have an asterix due to the favorable fixture. Lost all respect for Cotchin, pathetic.
Self entitled drop kick with a silver spoon up his sphincter.

Absolutely disgraceful

Drops off pretty quick once your nuts drop
Soccer in young kids is popular because mums see it as a safer sport to play.

When concussions and CTE are linked to constant heading the ball (which there is already strong evidence for) the number of kids playing it will plummet.

Reiwoldt and Betts on 360 atm.
Betts and Carlton are positive.

Where as Richmond are not......
They don’t want to leave their kids.

Theres no joy in watching a league that has the best players taken from it

I know this because ive experienced it - you dont know it - because you never have

It's no secret that players left wa and sa (and other parts of the country) from as early the 50's (maybe even earlier) to play in the vfl, usually for better careers and exposure, you imply they were forced to.

You come across as trying to blame victoria coz it was and still is the biggest centre for AF - always has been. And you wanna lay blame because of a blunt reality you don't like.

Move you're whinging to a relevant thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is the quote from Cotchin? Posters seem to be taking something as fact that I have never seen quoted anywhere. Anonymous sources mean nothing, the journo spins to suit the audience.

Happy to be proven wrong with a quote though, since I don't like agreeing with Richmond fans.

I assume the 11 million you're talking about is north of the Murray, which has never had more than a passing interest in AF anyway, and doesn't look they will any time soon.

Far reaching (trolling) again! How about you stay on topic. There are other threads (one you've recently created) for your salt and toy throwing.
If its a waste of time why have we spent the last 30 years throwing treasure at it?

Stop diverting.

For the 20 years leading up to 1986, the player drain from the WAFL was a consistent trickle. Annoying but not terminal to the WAFL.

WC in 1986 was something completely different altogether, it absolutely decimated the competition. WC took the 40 best players from the WAFL in one go. Just as importantly it diverted all support of footy in WA away from the WAFL. It was these combined factors that made the WAFL irrelevant basically overnight.

I guess though it is noble of WC to fund WA footy ongoing. It is kind of like colonial settlers “funding” local indigenous populations after they have stolen their land and natural resources. Noble indeed.

In 1986 there were 78 Western Australians playing in the VFL .That is 78 out of 160 players each week in the WAFLs eight teams of twenty players .Basicly the top 6 or 7 from each club and then some.So strong was the VFLs thirst for WA players they had over spent and the VFL was as good as bankrupt. Players that played on a half back flank in the WAFL for very low remuneration were able to get thousands of dollars plus perks plus a cushy job in Victoria playing in the VFL .But sadly the gravy train could not last so in order for the cash cow and good times to keep on rolling for WA footballers WA had to throw money into the VFL via the West Coast Eagles.Everybody was fine with it in WA as the WAFL wasn't exactly a well supported strong state league at the time.
The original Eagles had a squad of 34 players 4 players recruited from VFL teams.Some of them had cronic injurys hidden by their VFL clubs (Phil Narkle) others couldnt get paid by the struggling financially VFL clubs (Dean Turner from Fitzroy) also a few retired veterans came back to play the Eagles (Glendinning and Robert Wiley) as well as a few former fringe VFL players that were contract less like Geoff Miles and Peter Davidson.The original Eagles squad was allowed a maximum of five players per WAFL club and a minimum of two to minimize the strain on individual clubs.
Local indiginous people and their land and resourses had nothing to do with the Eagles.

It's no secret that players left wa and sa (and other parts of the country) from as early the 50's (maybe even earlier) to play in the vfl, usually for better careers and exposure, you imply they were forced to.

You come across as trying to blame victoria coz it was and still is the biggest centre for AF - always has been. And you wanna lay blame because of a blunt reality you don't like.

Move you're whinging to a relevant thread.
Nothing to do with the vfl borrowing unsustainably

ill move to the relevant thread when you stop quoting me in this one.

Know for fact that during the AFL wide meetings, Trent Cotchin in early March said he would not go into any hub under any circumstances. Meeting was between a bunch of AFL head honchos and a representative of each club. Brad Sheppard and Trent Cotchin were each sides. Meeting happened once the season was called off and options put out. His narrative changed when announced it was to be a Eagles/Freo/Adelaide/Port only hub. He was all of a sudden very much for it and voted in its favour. Cotchin didnt know Brad Sheppard was present at both of these meetings and essentially Brad called him out on it in the middle of the meeting. Cotchin just had to sit there and take it
Good stuff.

Poor sooky Trent. Gets a bit hard when the VFL don’t gift you 7 home games to end the season, doesn’t it !!

Probably doesn’t like the idea that the crowds will be allowed in SA and WA and he is use to having a big crowd cheering him and the rest of the team on at the G whereas that won’t be the case in the non-Vic hubs.

the afl thinks its going to break into the nsw and qld market by being the same old parochial vic suburban league....View attachment 903467
Drop off rate in participation of adults is significant in Soccer though Kranky. The largest by a fair way. That’s the biggest problem with Soccer- the pathways. Been that way for a long time. Until that get fixed, it will never be a serious threat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back