News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

If they’re playing games in states that have had 0 local cases for 2-3+ months, I fully believe we will. At the moment QLD, WA and SA have achieved that and really, as long as one state continues to stay like that, we’ll get through the next 4 months. WA with it’s hard border will be extremely safe for a long period of time too.
You are delusional mate, they have to come home at some point and one of them already caught it before it started to spike. If one of them doesn't catch it next time they come home or before they leave Monday half the clubs will boycott any plan that sees them spending the rest of the season out of the state.

And Collingwood and geelong get full houses

eddie and cook streets ahead.

usually you would expect kennett to be on top of things - but hes got that bullheaded vic pride - doesnt know when to fold.....

such a sign when cook and eddie went early for the west coast hub.
Of course they went early to go to WA both sides over there are easy wins right now and a foot into the finals

You are delusional mate, they have to come home at some point and one of them already caught it before it started to spike. If one of them doesn't catch it next time they come home or before they leave Monday half the clubs will boycott any plan that sees them spending the rest of the season out of the state.
Why do they “have to come home at some stage”? They are contracted football players, contracted to play where and when the AFL fixtures them to play. In my working days I had to spend up to 16 weeks away from home because my employer determined that I had to do that (training). Either I did that or I could look for other employment. Bit of concrete required.

You’re telling me half the Victorian teams won’t agree to be away for an extra month than what they already have? And by doing so lose about 200 million dollars in revenue and see every player in the league lose an extra 50% of their pay? Seriously?

Why do they “have to come home at some stage”? They are contracted football players, contracted to play where and when the AFL fixtures them to play. In my working days I had to spend up to 16 weeks away from home because my employer determined that I had to do that (training). Either I did that or I could look for other employment. Bit of concrete required.
It wasn't part of their contractual agreement and the AFL would be opening itself up to lawsuits if they wanted to push it that far.

The difference between your situation is you agreed to that before starting, none of these players did.

You’re telling me half the Victorian teams won’t agree to be away for an extra month than what they already have? And by doing so lose about 200 million dollars in revenue and see every player in the league lose an extra 50% of their pay? Seriously?
You already had the WA teams wanting to go home after 4 weeks, what kind of idiots thinks the Vic teams will be happy away for 4 months?

They won't care about the comp, if they all act together and use the aflpa they will get their way and they will get their money because the AFL is requesting something outside their contracts.

Last edited:
Yes. So whoever freo played in their last qld game is irrelevant to whether they need to quarantine.

Sorry if this has been answered, just catching up

If Freo and WC have to quarantine upon returning to WA anyway then why did the AFL back a deal of Geelong and Collingwood playing each other while in quarantine before playing the wa sides? If they're all quarantining anyway then surely it doesn't matter which teams play when??

If Freo and WC have to quarantine upon returning to WA anyway then why did the AFL back a deal of Geelong and Collingwood playing each other while in quarantine before playing the wa sides? If they're all quarantining anyway then surely it doesn't matter which teams play when??
WA wants to say look at me and have a 60k home derby, if they played the Vic teams probably be a half full stadium.

You already had the way teams wanting to go home after 4 weeks, what kind of idiots thinks the Vic teams will be happy away for 4 months?

They won't care about the comp, if they all act together and use the aflpa they will get their way and they will get their money because the AFL is requesting something outside their contracts.
They won’t have to be away for 4 months, they’ll be away for 2 months + finals. A 32 day block for rounds 6-10, and a 32 day block (maybe 39) for Rds 12-17. And already guaranteed they’ll get a week or two back home in between that.

I don’t usually like to take pot shots at other states, but if VIC players can’t do that, they are seriously soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s because they’ll be in different quarantines, WA teams are doing home quarantines that aren’t that restrictive whereas the VIC teams will be in a hard hotel quarantine and they don’t want them interacting in that time

They won’t have to be away for 4 months, they’ll be away for 2 months + finals. A 32 day block for rounds 6-10, and a 32 day block (maybe 39) for Rds 12-17. And already guaranteed they’ll get a week or two back home in between that.

I don’t usually like to take pot shots at other states, but if VIC players can’t do that is seriously soft.
We have 11 rounds to go plus 4 weeks finals that's a minimum 15 weeks without interruption (in case you missed it we already have a game to catch up on) and everytime they leave Victoria you will be looking at 2 weeks without games because they have already played each other and the state governments won't allow them to play their sides.

I'd fully support my team telling the AFL to gagf, west coast and Freo already have.

WA wants to say look at me and have a 60k home derby, if they played the Vic teams probably be a half full stadium.
Ooooh..didums, look at you being all bitter and salty because a state and those that live there understand whats needed as compared to another that just DGAF by the looks...:weary::weary:

We have 11 rounds to go plus 4 weeks finals that's a minimum 15 weeks without interruption (in case you missed it we already have a game to catch up on) and everytime they leave Victoria you will be looking at 2 weeks without games because they have already played each other and the state governments won't allow them to play their sides.

I'd fully support my team telling the AFL to gagf, west coast and Freo already have.
I’m a fixture nerd and love doing this so I’ll write this out for you:

Rounds 6-10: 32 days away till Sunday 9th August
Round 11: 14 days (Split Round) ends Sunday 23rd August
Rounds 12-17: 39 days away (32 days if they play 6 games in 5 weeks, very possible) ends 3rd October (or 27th September)
Bye week: 9th-11th October (or 2nd-4th October)
Finals: 16th October - Saturday 7th November (or Saturday 31st October)

Victorian teams out of state for 64 days (two months basically) with two breaks back at home for 10-12 days.
Then at MOST for two teams, 4 weeks away for finals, but no player is missing a final let alone a team forfeiting a match because they have to spend a few extra weeks on the road

Last edited:
It’s pretty convenient to sound off about vic players this and wa players that when we all know a significant portion are already working away from their state of origin.

These comments are just stupid. You cant on a weeks notice drop on players they are stuck in a hotel under hub quarantine for the next 16 weeks. It would be pretty negative on their mental health with the pressures they are under. That's not how it works in the AFL and the AFLPA won't stand for that.

I don’t usually like to take pot shots at other states, but if VIC players can’t do that, they are seriously soft.
Many players will do what's required, probably the majority. It will be individual cases like players with babies on the way, or newborns, or unwell relatives, or other significant personal issues that might pull out for whatever reason.

That's perfectly reasonable, would you call a player soft if a man wants to be there for the birth of his first child or supporting an extremely ill relative? Some things are more important than football...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back