News Time for the Vic teams to leave Victoria - EDIT: Hawks to Hub in Barossa, 15 teams in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Right so Who’s taking bets cotchs injury Is a 32 dayer???

Living in fantasy land if you think the vic teams will be back here in 4 weeks.

Also its ******* poor you dregs injury trolling a bloke

The last afl teams are leaving today it's no coincerdience the border is closing tonight after they have left

Going to be tough for the players as it will create a lot of uncertainty for them regarding the season, when they can return home to see family next etc

Going to be tough for the players as it will create a lot of uncertainty for them regarding the season, when they can return home to see family next etc
Are you really an Eagles fan? I'm waiting for the Cotchin is soft and shouldn't be paid comment.

Valid reasons for not going to a hub.

1) Birth of a child
2) Special needs child.
3) Terminally ill parent and or family member.
4) Injury that would prevent you playing in the hub.

Any reason outside of these in my opinion would require some bloody good explaining to do so you can keep your career.
I reckon for the vast majority they are all trying to keep the game going and that is at all clubs with no exceptions. Decisions are being asked of players that have never risen their head before, nothing is easy here. I think as a group the AFL players are trying their best, there will always be some that may milk a situation but that is just life.

So with the VIC-NSW border closure what will this mean in terms of broadcasting games in NSW? Will Melbourne based commentators get travel exemptions or would they just call the game from a Melbourne studio? I’m sure they’ll be more logistical issues..

So with the VIC-NSW border closure what will this mean in terms of broadcasting games in NSW? Will Melbourne based commentators get travel exemptions or would they just call the game from a Melbourne studio? I’m sure they’ll be more logistical issues..
They’ll call from the studio, it’s what they’ve been doing for the QLD games. They’ll have one boundary commentator at the match that lives in the state (for us Alastair lynch) and that’s it.

I think they should do the honourable thing and not take the cash while sitting at home. A lot of people have been sacked in order to keep the game going. Lot of people doing it tougher than these two darlings.

If I was a fringe player battling away to be in the best 22 I wouldn't be able to respect their decision. It's weak. They're taking advantage of their seniority in the side.

They should go to the hub, and if their partner finds it all too hard then go back home.

Everyone is making a big sacrifice to keep this season going. Ablett is leaving his ill 18 month old son behind.

If you want to stay home, don't bludge on all the players that prepared to go hub. Don't take a the money. That's the least they should be doing if they aren't prepared to make the sacrifice.
I’d imagine if you were fringe 22 and a few first 22 locks weren’t going to hub you’d look at it as a massive opportunity to get games...

A lot of commentary was already remote. Can't remember which game it was this weekend but one of the commentators let slip that it would be easier to see something if they were there

Victorian-NSW Border to reportedly close....which teams are still in VIC at the moment? 👀

EDIT:

Ok they’ve got time, won’t impact the season

So nsw - weeks spent bashing queensland over the head for not opening the border.... have closed their border with victoria

Thats some spectacular Hypocrisy right there.

How much our country is ruled by these two parochial cities is something that needs to be contained.

I’d imagine if you were fringe 22 and a few first 22 locks weren’t going to hub you’d look at it as a massive opportunity to get games...
Yup this

you watch - there will be a few fringe blokes get consecutive games out if this and become best 22’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ll call from the studio, it’s what they’ve been doing for the QLD games. They’ll have one boundary commentator at the match that lives in the state (for us Alastair lynch) and that’s it.
Didn't realise that is what was occurring but that makes sense

Living in fantasy land if you think the vic teams will be back here in 4 weeks.

Also its ******* poor you dregs injury trolling a bloke
i think the plan is for a split round so vic players get a refresher at home for a fortnight before heading back out into hublife for another month

Leaving Cotchey behind will only disadvantage Richmond so no complaints here. About time we all pulled together on this one and support ALL teams and players trying to keep our national game going. I, for one, won't be dishing it out to Vic teams in this time of uncertainty in the world.

Valid reasons for not going to a hub.

1) Birth of a child
2) Special needs child.
3) Terminally ill parent and or family member.
4) Injury that would prevent you playing in the hub.

Any reason outside of these in my opinion would require some bloody good explaining to do so you can keep your career.
I reckon for the vast majority they are all trying to keep the game going and that is at all clubs with no exceptions. Decisions are being asked of players that have never risen their head before, nothing is easy here. I think as a group the AFL players are trying their best, there will always be some that may milk a situation but that is just life.

Given that Ablett's 18 month old has a degenerative disease and he's still going, there's not to many valid excuses.

They should go to the hub, and if their partner finds it all too hard then go back home.
Parenting a newborn with a partner is extremely tough, let alone as a single parent. Besides, those first few weeks are really crucial for bonding with your kid. Not to mention that we don't know what state Houli's partner is already in, given that she has just pushed a baby out of her own body.

Late-stage pregnancy is also tough, and birth is pretty awful. You don't want your partner to be stuck 12 hours away if you suddenly go into labour, let alone if you experience anything euphemistically known as a "complication". With the shutdown, there's only one or two direct flights per day between capital cities and Melbourne at the moment.

What each family decides is their own choice and responsibility.

I have no issue with that, as long as it's leave with no pay......

Given that Ablett's 18 month old has a degenerative disease and he's still going, there's not to many valid excuses.
Each person's circumstances and priorities are different. Ablett is probably in his final season of a 19-year career, so he most likely only has another dozen games or so left of AFL football in his life. A lot will depend on how much support his partner has and how she feels about it.

These kind of choices are decisions that you make as a family, and just because the Abletts make a certain choice, that doesn't mean that other families have to make that choice too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back