MaroonBoy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2003
Hobart 7000
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FFC(Roys), Manly, Feyenoord, Barca.
Is there any point to this Fitzroy board now? Fat Pizza's doing a retrospective (bless him!), Mobbs has bade farewell and the Royboys are little more than an Ammo's team and a heartfelt reminisce. Dont get me wrong, I love a good look back down Memory Lane (the most beautiful Lover's Lane if ever there was one), but I've now reached the view that this board has served its purpose. It's basically out of character with the other boards here. They're about the here and now on an AFL level, as well as some anecdotes about the past. The Fitzroy board? Well, if people really want to know about the Reds surely the place for it is at the FFC or Reds site. As for fantasy footy, is a Fitzroy board the place for that? Sort of diminishes the Royboy memory for me. Of course this is just my opinion; maybe everyone else still thinks its worthwhile keeping a Roys connection here at Bigfooty? I can't help thinking its time to move the Memory elsewhere. 'Cause that's basically all it is now. Memories. Beautiful, yes, but nothing more. MaroonBoy. :eek:

I'd forgotten supporters of other teams would want to have their say...can't help it I guess.

Perhaps supporters from other teams could show some respect and just let us FITZROY people discuss the issue free from any distractions or bias. Thanks!

This forum has more posts than Sydney, Carlton and Hawthorn.
Motor board, money and humour boards would be in front of this one tbh

Close it and open a Reminicence Board.

Let's not forget, you weren't the only ones to 'disappear' from the Aussie Rules community.

There was a certain team in the SANFL that were 'forced' to merge. There is a thread regarding them in the Regional Leagues Board.

I'll never forget the Lions as they were either. The guernsey stood out beyond all others. 'Tis a pity that the game moved on but you guys couldn't keep pace (membership etc).

Another question altogether; how do you feel about being affiliated with a team in QLD?? Do you have a good supporter base in Melbourne? Do you feel comfortable with what happened? Do you think the AFL could have helped with cash injections (such as they do for the Bullies etc) to help promote the Club?

Cove Cobra said:
Close it and open a Reminicence Board.

Let's not forget, you weren't the only ones to 'disappear' from the Aussie Rules community.

There was a certain team in the SANFL that were 'forced' to merge. There is a thread regarding them in the Regional Leagues Board.

I quite like that idea CC, my local team was taken over by corporate outsiders and turned into something I now loathe.
You could fill a book with clubs from here that have gone down in the last twenty years.

BTW: the SANFL team you're referring too, Woodville?

:eek: No. Keep it going. It doesn't matter that we're not in character with the other team boards. We've always been different. There's plenty more Fitzroy trivia left in me, once I've finished this retrospective. I enjoy reading about the Reds, the Fantasy Roys & any other Fitzroy-related news.

It has been a bit quiet around here lately, but it is the off-season. Personally, I've just been on a pilgrimage to visit Mt Fitzroy in Argentina.

But we need more posts and interesting tidbits.

For the sake of it, I do the Fitzroy Past Players' newsletter and I may release items from that as a news item. How does that sound?

Cheers, Tim

Fat Pizza said:
:eek: No. Keep it going. It doesn't matter that we're not in character with the other team boards. We've always been different. There's plenty more Fitzroy trivia left in me, once I've finished this retrospective. I enjoy reading about the Reds, the Fantasy Roys & any other Fitzroy-related news.

It has been a bit quiet around here lately, but it is the off-season. Personally, I've just been on a pilgrimage to visit Mt Fitzroy in Argentina.

LOL, This post cracked me up, but in a good way. Keep on punching mate. The first footy game I ever seen was Adelaide v Fitzroy, in '92 or '93, we won by 3 points in absolutley terrible conditions (p***ing with rain).

BTW, I hope Brisbane wear the bright red and blue Fitzroy jersey in this years heritage round if there is one.

Keep the board alive. I think it's great there are still old Fitzroy supporters out there passionate enough to keep this board more active than some other boards of current teams.

If the board had 5 posts in the past year then there'd be a good argument to close it. But that's far from the case.

If you don't like it... don't come in here.

I move to close the bloody wrestling board if anything :rolleyes: Seconded anyone? Carried!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim the Toolman said:
But we need more posts and interesting tidbits.

For the sake of it, I do the Fitzroy Past Players' newsletter and I may release items from that as a news item. How does that sound?

Cheers, Tim
Sounds good to me. I reckon you'd also have some great stories to tell from your time working with the players.

Why should our Board be closed. Our Club has just had successful talks with the Brisbane Lions to wear our heritage jumper against Hawthorn at the G. We mightn't have our own team but we are still involved in football at junior and senior levels. Leave us alone. As long as there is enough of us to use the Fitzroy FC Board, we have every right to be here. Or are Fitzroy members & supporters to be banned from football too!

jesus, does it really need to be closed? Let it stay open, good on the ppl who still remember the ol Roy boys and want to talk about them. I still get a thrill when an old Fitzroy game is on Fox, and its good see the board here when i come to visit my own teams board.

Is it getting in anyone's way ? No, I don't think so. The fans didn't ask for their team to be merged, so let them relive the past through this.

The AFL is trying every way possible to do away with the past, so what's wrong with using this forum to hold onto some of that.

I'm a proud passionate Hawthorn man, have been for 30 years, but had I not played for the Reds, I would not have met any FFC people, and now I'm glad I did.

If we close this forum, then close the Roos, the Dogs and most of all, the Blues, after all, in 1996, a club was killed for their sort of debt !

Mappa said:
If we close this forum, then close the Roos, the Dogs and most of all, the Blues, after all, in 1996, a club was killed for their sort of debt !
Hey hold on a second :mad:

Of course i don't want those clubs to fold, I was merely making a point. FFC was not given the benefit of the AFL Competitive Balance Fund, and because of their debt (which was probably a lot less than some teams going around now), they were lost to the AFL, and more importantly, the fans.

This forum is as good a place as any to remember them.

Go Roys, go Reds and go Hawks

Good on you Mappa. Actually our debt was a poultry 2mill and you can get that from the AFL hardship fund for poor clubs now! ( Reds should apply for Some.)
Who cares, all I know is that the only football clubs from C'wood to Royal Park are the Fitaroy Junior Fc & the Fitzroy Reds.
(Sponsored by thr FFC Ltd.)

Planck said:
Hey hold on a second :mad:

Aha, now see the bind you're in. Now you have to fight for the Reds board to stay open, or close your own team's board. :p

Now seriously, though, this thread is what you might call a beat-up. MaroonBoy, who started this thread, and whom I have met and reckon is a top bloke cause he buys me beers while trying to immortalise me, was simply acting upon incorrect info.

He thought I had died. I had not. I am alive. Hence all is well.

Of course if I did die, it would be time to close this board, all the other boards, and Disneyland. I am, of course, the most important element of everything that has ever existed.

But ... I live. So breathe easy. The board isn't closing. It was just one bloke going through a bout of the March Fly ... a defeatist moment suffered by many Roys fans annually as the AFL season prepares to commence.

It comes under the banner of PTSD. There's another one that hits Roys fans on Sep 1.

Its best not to take anything a Roys fan says, too seriously, at either of these times of year.

It's that time of the year again when the soul of a Roy is truly tested. In the weeks leading up to the start of the AFL season, you hear & read the thoughts of football supporters & media types predicting what will happen in the coming season. The only time of the year when all clubs are level on points & anything is possible. Although I follow Brisbane, 'tis not with the same passion & fury that I have for Fitzroy, and I still find myself with feelings of pain that I cannot voice my hopes for the Roys. But alas! time wounds all heals and you cannot walk away from the siren call of the FFC.

This Sunday marks the beginning of Roydom for 2005 with the AGM. I enjoy the AGM, it is a reminder that our great club still exists. Not at the top level, but existince is existince is existince. It also demonstrates something else. That I am not alone in refusing to let my love of Fitzroy wither, like so many that have jumped onboard the Lion train and refuse to have any interest in Fitzroy at a lower level. We have so much to contribute. To the Fitzroy Reds, to the Fitzroy Juniors & acting as an independent reminder to Brisbane that the merger comes with responsibilities to those Fitzroy people who have become supporters.

There are so many reasons to keep this board going, that to point them out is not neccessary. As the great Mobbenfuhrer points out, March is the season of our great sorrow and it does things to a Roy not seen outside of Hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back