Time for this Board to Close?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am horrified at the suggestion that this board should close. While I rarely get time to visit and let alone post, it is just wonderful to see the name, the passion that still and will forever exist, the memories and the anecdotes.

Whats left of Fitzroy today is in my opinion very tangible and viable and this board is just one part of that. We can't afford to lose anything more and there is no reason to lose this.

I probably (perhaps make that definitely) live in fantasy land but still continue to dream that we might come back in some form or other at a higher level than the Reds, perhaps at VFL level. We need to have a forum that is still very much in the public eye and this board is a very critical part of that.

I rarely post also, but still drop in from time to time.

I am British born and bred, but Fitzroy introduced me to this great sport and will always be my team.

Fitzroy still exists as a Club, it still has an AFL presence through the Lions and it's jumper will, again, be seen in the AFL this year, TWICE. No, our board shouldn't close (or move).

Meanwhile, I am slowly working on my master plan, to become a multi-billionaire and then I will de-merge the Brisbane Lions back into the Bears and, of course, the Fitzroy Lions.

Fitzroy, we have not gone away, we have just gone home.

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Aha, now see the bind you're in. Now you have to fight for the Reds board to stay open, or close your own team's board.
I knooow. lol I can't help but think sometimes it would be nice to follow one of the stronger teams :p I think we must be paying for our sins in a previous life by being Dogs/Fitzroy fans :p

Fitzroy is gooooone peeps. its over for christs sake.

Get a ********en life u ********ers.
You're the perfect example for why your club is widely hated. Don't flatter yourself by thinking "It's cause we're strong and other clubs are jealous" either :rolleyes:

I believe it is a good board but I think it should be renamed so it discusses all the old players/old teams ie: South Melbourne..

Hasus said:
I believe it is a good board but I think it should be renamed so it discusses all the old players/old teams ie: South Melbourne..

It would be good for all crusty fans of those old clubs and representations of clubs to have a voice, eg Brisbane Bears fans, South (at South) fans.

These options and arguments were raised a number of times over the years. The deciding factor at the time was : Roys fans came in their drove to lobby for a Roys board, whil support for the other manifestations was nominal, if not in humour.

Yes, drove is singular in our case.

BulldogMike said:
I wish Fitzroy were still in the AFL. They were a good club despite the financial concerns and bad form during the end of their time.

Empathy noted :)

Did you know that your second team was formed in 1920, folded in 1956, and played against Manangatang for much of its time, later wearing red & black vertical stripes but earlier wearing maroon and blue, just like the colours.

Unless of course if you mean your soccer club. Which you do. I know. Coincidence still stands. Loosely. :eek:

Stan. said:
Fitzroy is gooooone peeps. its over for christs sake.

Get a ********en life u ********ers.
My oh my, such intellect and eloquence, such mastery of the English language and indeed yes he can actually write a word or two. Put him up for president of the pathetic pies I say. Imagine if he got elected and had to give a victory speech.

It would go like this.

"Got no *******en idea why i got ******en elected and now I got no ******en idea what to do. But doesn't matter cos you ******kn *******ers wouldn't *******en know either".

The sad part is that he would be right, they wouldn't know either. The lad has the IQ of a deformed maggot born without a brain.

Oh and just by the way Stanley what about 2002 and 2003, what happened to the pathetic pies in those two years. Who stitched the pathetic pies up those years? Fill us in laddie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mappa, I have to say I find your comments extremely refreshing!! Good on you! :)

And just on the subject of this board closing, I think that would be a very sad thing. I've found it to be a great place to reminisce and congregate with other fans, and even get the latest news on the club and related events!! I think we have every right to have our board here, I'm involved with a forum similar to this one and we have a Fitzroy board there that I am hoping will generate as much discussion as it does on this site!!

I can understand the March/September PTSD episodes, I think we all suffer from them in varying degrees. My reaction this year is a big fat 'MEH' that is said whenever anyone discusses the upcoming opening round of matches. :p

I probably DISagree more often than I AGREE with the posters on this board about the demise of the Fitzroy Football Club, being one of those who embraced Brisbane and was horrified at what Fitzroy became as a football team over the last 35 years of its existence.

However, I will fight to my dying breath, and keystroke, to maintain the hard-won right of the fine people who post on here to have this forum, which they have created from almost literally nothing, to continue. You should ask some other posters on this forum if they think it would be a good idea to enter into an argument-to-the-death with me.

Apart from any other consideration, I enjoy it. If you don't, sod off.

Well said Skilts, you have my full support. As a 38 year football nut some of my finest memories involve the mighty Roys. I very much enjoy visiting this board and reading the wonderful ( and sometimes quite touching ) tales of Lion devotion. If this board were to go all of my age group would lose a hell of a lot. It demands retention.

Hasus said:

The Sydney Swans board can cover South Melbourne quite well. They are, after all, the same club.

Old VFL-AFL players can be discussed on their respective team boards.

I'm not sure how much discussion would actually occur about University's 7 years in the VFL/AFL. They won 27 games, lost 97 and drew 2. No finals matches, 4 wooden spoons. Highest ladder position: 6th.

Fitzroy had 100 years in the VFL-AFL and still exist in their own right in Melbourne, sponsoring a couple of teams such as the Fitzroy Reds. They still have a stake in a current AFL team the Brisbane Lions (such as the Lions wearing of the Fitzroy jumper in 2005), who are discussed here on the odd occasion.

The Brisbane Lions are a new club formed in 1997, and located in another state. The 10 years of the Bears could perhaps be a sub-forum of the Brisbane Lions. While the Bears were more successful than University, they too only lasted for 10 years.

Don't you dare close this board. It is a damn fine read for all of us diehard Royboys. Besides, I never realised that cyberspace was at a premium...

I think everybody has answered the original question with the vast majority of replies too it. Everybody who has replied obviously visits this board so theres obviously alot of people who still come here.
For people who want it closed you dont have to come here.

I miss Fitzroy...blokes like roosy, gale brothers and so on
I wish Fitroy was still around, then Collingwood would have 2 Premierships :)
Anywayz, dont close the board, the roos should never be forgotten.
PS...i hated playing you bastards, you had the wood on us in the late 80's to the early 90's

Onya kleos ... Pies and Roys had some most enjoyable clashes over the years! My family apart from me is Collingwood, and members, and once in early 90s they sent one sister around with a memb card so I could get in see them (right behind your bench at Vic Park), Roys were winning at the time and we kicked a goal just as I headed down the aisle deep in Pie territory. I "acted boisterously" and strike me if my popularity level didn't plummet!

(we went on to get thrashed by yers!)

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Onya kleos ... Pies and Roys had some most enjoyable clashes over the years! My family apart from me is Collingwood, and members, and once in early 90s they sent one sister around with a memb card so I could get in see them (right behind your bench at Vic Park), Roys were winning at the time and we kicked a goal just as I headed down the aisle deep in Pie territory. I "acted boisterously" and strike me if my popularity level didn't plummet!

(we went on to get thrashed by yers!)

Ill always have a soft spot for the roy boys.
They were my second side in the vfl/afl
LOL @ your story dude, brings back some great memorys
the worst thing for me being a collingwood supporter was, when we played you on a saturday and it was raining, i knew we would get beat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back