Coach Time for tough decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

hard to see simmo ever saying that

if something like that was said, it wouldve been along the lines of "take risks, pull the trigger, back your skills etc" meaning that we should not be afraid to take the game on and win.. since we have the 2nd chance. can see how this could be misinterpreted

Having brander on a wing makes very little sense.if they persist with it(and they might) i hope it turns out well but having brander,sheed and redden makes us a slow midfield that other teams will take advantage of
Its early in the season tho so who knows

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Having brander on a wing makes very little sense.if they persist with it(and they might) i hope it turns out well but having brander,sheed and redden makes us a slow midfield that other teams will take advantage of
Its early in the season tho so who knows

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I feel they are just trying to fit him in because he is young.

I feel they are just trying to fit him in because he is young.

They are trying to fit all the highest ranked players into the same side no matter where they play.

It's a folly to think playing 'a "team of stars" will work better than playing a balanced "star team"'.

That gets proven time and time again but some people never learn or take a while to work it out.

Last edited:
In fairness to Brander he played the wing role in the reserves last year and for a while he was the only young player looking to push for selection. I feel it will take a bit of time for hin to adapt to AFL level. It doesn't help that he keeps playing in losses either

They are trying to fit all the highest ranked players into the same side no matter where they play.

It's a folly to think playing 'a "team of stars" will work better than playing a balanced "star team"'.

That get proven time and time again but some people never learn or take a while to work it out.

I don’t think this applies to Brander, who they are seemingly convinced will develop as a winger, but I certainly feel it applies to Redden on the wing.

In 2018 Simpson made a much more deliberate effort to play players in their natural spots, not to play the players he felt he needed to play. Sheed couldn’t fit in the midfield? Sheed plays WAFL.

There was no more of this Mitchell and Priddis in the centre so we squeeze Redden awkwardly in as a HFF/wing. If you were lining up in the forward pocket it’s because you were a crafty forward, not because there wasn’t room in the midfield but we feel we probably should play Player X.

It’s frustrating because Simpson had the realisation, leaned into hard, won a flag, admitted that it was a conscious choice to go with that strategy and we all saw the results.

With the arrival of TK, Redden seems to be the odd one out. If a mid gets hurt, Brander stays in the side on the wing. If a mid gets hurt, Redden will move back into the midfield and we’ll bring in someone more suited to playing a wing/HFF. To me that says that to a degree we’re back to selecting the “best” players, not selecting the best players in each role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there is any merit in sending Redden to hff to tackle his arse off as a defensive forward. Tackling pressure in the forward half is a current weakness and it is one of his strengths. Obviously we have very few forward options for this sort of roll without the likes of rioli and cameron available.

I wonder if there is any merit in sending Redden to hff to tackle his arse off as a defensive forward. Tackling pressure in the forward half is a current weakness and it is one of his strengths. Obviously we have very few forward options for this sort of roll without the likes of rioli and cameron available.
His tackling would primarily be in tight, I doubt he’s the forward pressure type. He was very average last year and has to lift.

His tackling would primarily be in tight, I doubt he’s the forward pressure type. He was very average last year and has to lift.
I agree which is why I thought that role would be better than wing. If he gets to every forward.markjng contest and treats it like a ruck contest and nails any campaigner who tries to waltz it out it may be a valid alternative if we cant fit him in the guts.
Its amazing to.think how.many b lokes have droppes off big time since 2018. Reddo was probably our best finals player. Cripps was all time.in 2018, Hutch who was.making the best mids in the game his bitch amd Vardy was outstanding. It all clicked for us that year and it looks a long way back to hit thise highs again.

I agree which is why I thought that role would be better than wing. If he gets to every forward.markjng contest and treats it like a ruck contest and nails any campaigner who tries to waltz it out it may be a valid alternative if we cant fit him in the guts.
I think Redden down back would be reminiscent of Adam Selwood running in mud near the end of his career.

I don't see a spot for him there, but I think Redden would be good as a half back flanker in the Shepp mould. Good tank, decent size, good overhead, penetrating and tidy kick. Better handball than Shepp (not hard, sorry love you Shepp).

Duggans a stinker of a goal kicker so I wouldn't roll him up beyond the wing. Could Tommy Cole play HFF? He strikes me as one who would relish the defensive forward role.

Probably time I open another beer :drunk:

Can someone explain why Cameron, a guy who can actually tackle and bring down guys way bigger (rugby skills for you), isn't getting more game time?

He really shone for us. Granted he wasn't perfect, but more consistent than half the rookies out there.

Secondly, why is Sheed still there?
Can't tackle.
Can't run.
Can't crumb.
Can kick.

The premiership was 2018. He did f-all last season and is a total waste of space: he's an empty jumper.

Can someone explain why Cameron, a guy who can actually tackle and bring down guys way bigger (rugby skills for you), isn't getting more game time?

Probably has something to do with the long term injury which has rendered him unavailable.

Secondly, why is Sheed still there?
Can't tackle.
Can't run.
Can't crumb.
Can kick.

The premiership was 2018. He did f-all last season and is a total waste of space: he's an empty jumper.
2019: 26 touches per game, third in i50s, third in clearances, led our mids in goals.

Probably has something to do with the long term injury which has rendered him unavailable.

2019: 26 touches per game, third in i50s, third in clearances, led our mids in goals.

I just read in another post he's injured. Fair call - I pray he's ready soon (read he's back at training).

Sheed can kick (goals), no doubt. I've seen him boot the ball as soon as he gets it when he's in the 50 (because he can't outrun anyone).

But tackle, run and crumb and fight for it hard? Not from what I can tell.

HBadge, you back him in?

I just read in another post he's injured. Fair call - I pray he's ready soon (read he's back at training).

Sheed can kick (goals), no doubt. I've seen him boot the ball as soon as he gets it when he's in the 50 (because he can't outrun anyone).

But tackle, run and crumb and fight for it hard? Not from what I can tell.

HBadge, you back him in?

As an All-Aus? No.

As a best 22 mid. Absolutely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back