Time for wholesale change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
The inevitable question. Two series losses, admittedly to two very strong test sides, but does this mean heads have to roll?

Hayden likely has to go. His form slump isn't as bad as the media pressure suggests, but in what looks like a re-building period there is little point persevering with 37 year old openers. Enter Phil Hughes. Katich has shown enough to hold his spot for now, but I question his mental application, being dismissed so often after making solid starts.

Ponting is still the best number three in the world. Nuff said. Hussey will ride out the first major wobble of his career, but its a shame to see his average come back to the pack. Clarke is playing very ordinary cricket, and whilst he is probably safe for now, a few more failures might warrant some attention. Scratchy knocks, poor shot selection, and not showing great leadership or temperament. Hodge's time has passed, but I would like to see David Hussey get an opportunity if Clarke continues along the same path.

A mentally and physically fit Symonds is a walk-up start. I just don't know if we will see a mentally or physically fit Symonds again. At present Watson looks a far better option with youth and more potent bowling on his side.

Haddin looks to be firming up his spot nicely.

Spinners look like they will be played as required from this point on. Don't follow closely enough to know what's what, but hopefully there is some more exciting talent than Hauritz coming through the ranks.

Easy to forget that Lee took career best figures just a couple of tests ago and is the reigning AB medallist. On form deserves his spot, but playing him injured or underdone discredits both team and player. Once his pace drops off there is too much sameness to his bowling, and he doesn't look overly threatening. Personally I think let him recover form and fitness at state level, and allow Siddle or Hifenhaus an opportunity.

Johnson is now our number one strike bowler. Great to see him mature as a player.

Stuart Clark, depsite his age, still gets a starting gig in my team. Offers consistency and variation with his higher armed action and bounce.

So all up, post South Africa my changes would be -

Hayden out Hughes in.
Symonds out Watson in.
Lee out, Clark in when fit, failing that Siddle or Hilfenhaus.

Any other thoughts or left field suggestions?

There really isn't a need to ever rebuild when your team only has 11 players in it.

The top 5 is solid, though Hayden has not been in the greatest of form. Watching him bat this morning I'd stick by him a while longer, he's been playing some good shots and is a very damaging player when on song.

Symmo I think has to go. He isn't good enough to bat 6, and I think most will agree that Watson is a better bowler.

I don't see a lot of domestic bowlers, but Lee's time is up. Clark to replace Lee when he comes back. Siddle and Johnson are worth perservering with. Not too sure on the spinner.

IN: Watson, Clark
OUT: Symonds, Lee

I'd probably make Clarke captain as well.

Clarke is playing very ordinary cricket, and whilst he is probably safe for now, a few more failures might warrant some attention. Scratchy knocks, poor shot selection, and not showing great leadership or temperament. Hodge's time has passed, but I would like to see David Hussey get an opportunity if Clarke continues along the same path.

WTF?

You lost me here. The guys last 11 knocks have included 2 tons and 3 50's. In the first innings here, he was cleary struggling, but showed fantastic temperament to guts it out to 88*, while other guys were still scoring quick enough, but getting out. Seemed to be just what was needed really

Short memory, can you remember anything beyond the last ball he faced?

I dont think Matty Hayden should be left out of the squad for South Africa and the Ashes. He provides us experience in the opening position which we will not have if Jaques or Katich open with Hughes.
My squad would be

Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Katich
Siddle
Johnson
Hautriz
Krejza
Nannes
Bollinger
Marsh
Hayden
Hussey (both)
Klinger
Rhonci
Watson
White

We need to give Krejza time, starting with Sydney, to gain Test match experience, and develop a more defensive side to his game, instead of telling the bloke to do what he did in India, then dropping him for it. He is a big turner of the ball, and thats a great foundation to build on

WTF?

You lost me here. The guys last 11 knocks have included 2 tons and 3 50's. In the first innings here, he was cleary struggling, but showed fantastic temperament to guts it out to 88*, while other guys were still scoring quick enough, but getting out. Seemed to be just what was needed really

Short memory, can you remember anything beyond the last ball he faced?

His last 10-12 innings have also included scores of 0, 6, 8, 9 & 11, often at times when we have needed him to step up. Since India he has performed to about his average...nothing more nothing less. I maintain that he is playing poor, scratchy cricket, and that includes his 88 in the first innings.

Out to poor shots twice in Perth. The second innings we obviously needed him to knuckle down.
Out to a very average part time bowler against the Kiwi's when on 98. Poor concentration.
Failed today when we needed some application. Never looked likely.

I think my memory's just fine.

We need to give Krejza time, starting with Sydney, to gain Test match experience, and develop a more defensive side to his game, instead of telling the bloke to do what he did in India, then dropping him for it. He is a big turner of the ball, and thats a great foundation to build on

Agreed. With no Clark the pace attack looks a bit exposed, and leaks a few too many runs. I suppose the spotlight was always going to fall on Krezja a bit.

His last 10-12 innings have also included scores of 0, 6, 8, 9 & 11, often at times when we have needed him to step up. Since India he has performed to about his average...nothing more nothing less. I maintain that he is playing poor, scratchy cricket, and that includes his 88 in the first innings.

Out to poor shots twice in Perth. The second innings we obviously needed him to knuckle down.
Out to a very average part time bowler against the Kiwi's when on 98. Poor concentration.

yeah lets drop a guy who averaged 52 for the year.....:rolleyes:

wtf :confused: lets drop the whole team then he averages over 50 in recent times

Your memory is woeful.

The scores of 8 and 9 are the only single digit scores in his last 11 innings. Go back much further than that and its not really basing anything on exposed form, is it?

yeah lets drop a guy who averaged 52 for the year.....:rolleyes:

I didn't say drop him...I said a few more failures might warrant some attention.

My points stand that he is playing scratchy cricket. He has been poor at crucial times when a team should be able to rely on a Vice Captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too far in the past for mine, thats going back before India, to the West Indies in May!

Anyways, you can argue til youre blue in the face, but like him or not, I reckon you will be seeing him in the Baggy Green til 2015-18

I'd get Shane Watson to develop his ability to open the innings further. He's done it in ODI's and has the temperament to bat opener. Of course that may be insignificant once Jaques (remember him?) gets fit again, but perhaps a RH/LH combination is what we need. However for Sydney he'll bat at #6 replacing Symonds who should concentrate on ODI's/Hit and giggle and find another opener (be it Hughes/Rogers/Klinger/whoever) until the Pro is fit.

As for the bowling, even though Hauritz did OK Krejza should never have been dropped and should be drafted in until next summer at least. As for a Lee replacement, they'll get him in for the RSA tour if he's fit but Hilfenhaus will get the gig in Sydney unless the selectors go with 2 spinners with Hauritz keeping his spot.

Too far in the past for mine, thats going back before India, to the West Indies in May!

Anyways, you can argue til youre blue in the face, but like him or not, I reckon you will be seeing him in the Baggy Green til 2015-18

It's not a matter of disliking him...although those ****ing KFC ads are grating on me.

And I agree that he will probably be around long term, I just think he should be at a stage where he is contibuting more when needed. Not just pulling out the big knocks when everything is going our way.

This is the sort of hard, grinding series where you show your worth as a cricketer, and Ponting, Johnson and maybe Siddle and Haddin aside we are not really looking too flash.

I think Hayden is gone he has been a great player but its time to move on.I would put Rodgers ahead of Hughes but make sure Hughes travels to Sth Africa for exp.David Hussey also has to came in to calculations.Start bringing new blood in and watch them became confident.
Just look at Sth Africa.

I think Hayden is gone he has been a great player but its time to move on.I would put Rodgers ahead of Hughes but make sure Hughes travels to Sth Africa for exp.David Hussey also has to came in to calculations.Start bringing new blood in and watch them became confident.
Just look at Sth Africa.

Your opinion is worth more than everyone else's, because you post in bold.

My Team for SCG would be:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Michael Hussey
6. Shane Watson
7. Brad Haddin
8. Jason Krejza
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Peter Siddle
11. Ben Hilfenhaus
12. Doug Bollinger

Not wholesale changes, but what about this for an Under 30s side for the future:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Phil Jacques
3. Michael Klinger
4. Michael Clarke (c)
5. Marcus North (vc)
6. Shane Watson
7. Tim Paine (W)
8. Jason Krejza
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. Shaun Tait
12. Doug Bollinger

not bad IMO

My Team for SCG would be:

Not wholesale changes, but what about this for an Under 30s side for the future:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Phil Jacques
3. Michael Klinger
4. Michael Clarke (c)
5. Marcus North (vc)
6. Shane Watson
7. Tim Paine (W)
8. Jason Krejza
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. Shaun Tait
12. Doug Bollinger

not bad IMO
Don't rate Klinger (I know he's made runs this year)

Get Marsh in at 3 and you've got me.

EDIT - and not Paine keeping - he isn't great with the gloves

The loss has been disappointing, but I think it's crazy to call for excessive changes.

Ultimately, Australia was in a winning position in both Tests, but was unable to press the advantage because of a ramshackle bowling attack.

Clark was missed, Lee is either injured or a spent force. And we still don't have a spinner. In light of that, it's not entirely surprising that we struggled to take 20 wickets.

Hayden is on the way out, but after that, it's all about the bowling.

Clark will return. Johnson and Siddle have both shown some good signs.

We need to find a spinner, or bite the bullet and play four quicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back