Time to abandon GWS & Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

That and Darwin's complete lack of population and enormous distance between it and any other population centre. People advocating the NT have absolutely NFI.

The ole why aren't the AFL spending money and taking the game to Darwin and Alice Springs and not China mob.

The AFL isn't spending a $ to play in China, if they do upfront, its fully reimbursed by sponsorship $$ and Mr Gui's underwriting fee to make sure the game breaks even.

These same dills should be asking why isn't Penfolds sponsoring a game in NT like they do in China? Or why isn't Austrade (or whatever it has changed its name to) or the Vic government or the SA government sponsoring a game in NT like they do in China?

Is it finally time to abandon the the Giants and the Sun?
The extraordinary amount of money the AFL has invested in these ventures for little in return.
I believe now is time to distribute the players/coaches across the remaining 16 clubs and the money would be much better spent on real clubs with a real supporter base in these uncertain times..thoughts

I have been saying this for a while, actually before COVID19 ever came to be.
They have always been a drain on the AFL financially and football-wise, promotion wise they have been advertised like a new toy and that costs money too.

This has diluted the competition, we could only just stand up succesfully with our 16 clubs.
Anyone who knows Australian Football at the elite level, knows that continually recruiting football smart players, and footy brained athletes to the level they have to get to, the fitness and especially skill to play this sport at the top, is a terrible task with only just 16 clubs!

Now the general groups of also-rans in the AFL from before "18 clubs" set up existed, are falling back even with more hardships to keep winning AND... to have fans GO TO THE FOOTBALL AND KEEP PAYING???!!!

We see some traditional clubs still lingering without finals and without grand finals worse, without premierships let alone even a slight chance in playing off!
Waiting in some cases, decades to win a premiership.
Even the latest of the traditional State football clubs Fremantle haven't had a look in, since 2013 and s**t if GWS had have won a flag before them, then what I say is this, what we do to our real football, throw money at new ones with no tradition , and I'll tell you Femantle has two WAFL clubs with traditions as old as some of the old starter clubs in Victoria or anywhere else. So that's another angle to look at, about the drain the two new ones are placing.

Now because I am a stirrer and I love people who follow footy, and I like General Giant when he comes on, I will try not to make this so much about THE newbies.
BUT ANY ENTITY that is added to anything that creates a disadvantage, to those already there, and to those who administer the sport as well, dilution has seen the recruiting get harder the rules get messed up, the political correctness over done, results changed, umpires running the game too much, and that was in the air before these new teams came about, the powers that be knew that things would change, but they went ahead anyway, and before it ever started, it was a bad idea1

Yes Demitriou wanted AFL Team movement! Not two new clubs?

So this type of overreach never works, it may have gone on and the whole thing could have changed the game to something else and I do blame this expansion plan for what has happened over the last several years.Our game is keepings off , it aims at less contact therefore less contest.

My point is that GC17 and GWS were a bridge too far before COVID19 turned ever up.
And that has set the reality patterns in minds going and the rethinking.
If this downturn breaks the banks of some clubs, then the AFL must remove the clubs which were not needed anyway, let the players spread their talents around 16 clubs, even move some Vic clubs by them having no choice, Tasmania, or Greater Western Footscray???? Maybe not they saved themselves before but South Melbourne and Fitzroy moved.
If not keep it the same 16 and play full seasons in Tasmania with North and Hawks and Saints playing games shared down there. There is always a way.

So after having my little gloat, probably to some of you.
I am not actually. I have been consistent for years with how I viewed the two new clubs, we can't have topline traditional football with too many clubs in a 25,000,000 population and expect to breed in 6 or 7 hundred elite footballers every year to keep the standard up for the future.
And the standard has, dropped.
Half are not up to it and the other half are always winning, and 2019 was one of the most aggravating annoying terrible seasons I can remember.

So for real football Australian style, let's take the opportunity from this world tragedy, to get our game back to reality, and add maybe 60 to 100 elite capable footballers to our 16 traditional clubs, and have real competition instead of regular massacres, maybe Melbourne might get a flag, maybe Fremantle might get a flag, maybe no more 100 point victories, only once in a while, and maybe with more skill spent on less numbers of teams.
Lets hope we can get the umpires to actually get back to what they are meant to do, adjudicate!!! And that does not create the minor infringements invented by the rules committee, so that every few seconds the game stops, the run and flow of our game. Is poisoned by over umpiring and petty rules that are never needed.And that half the audience don't understand. Just the brainwashed 12 year olds ( and not all of course) that think it normal to get a free if you get a feather touch near the shoulder, that does NOTHING TO IMPEDE!!!

That is what they've done, to a diluted sport.
That's exactly and honestly how I feel, I want the game back much much better than 2019, and only 16 clubs!

Darwin would be lucky to have a permanent population the size of Launceston. Absolutely no chance.
Easy in a hard situation like "no money" don't set up a team in Darwin then if you can't???
Maybe GC17 and GWS PROVE EXACTLY THAT, OR MAYBE WHAT IS IN NT, IN NUMBERS WOULD FLOOD TO THE FOOTY.
Unlike West Syders!

We went through this in the 1990's when Footscray were really Footscray and it ain't gonna happen. The umbilical cord between AFL House and the Melbourne clubs is impossible to sever.
Not now. And severing in that cut off manner, does not need to happen anyway, if Saints, North and Hawks shared games each season down there then they could all pick up fans in that state and play maybe 5 games each, a year or swap 5 and 5 and one team on its given year does 7 games, and money saved from no GC17 and no GWS could back it up subsidise it until it succeeded, and it would because Tasmania is a footy state!
Then they get 17 matches a year! in Tassie whichever way the fixture works. 17 or 22.
See it only takes some people/person with guts, to say "we're going to try", not sit back and say "what if... this or that... or, what if we just sit and whine at let it fall over" thats the problem! no one DOES anything.
WELL, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO something, as J.K.-senior once said, in 1975!

Easy in a hard situation like "no money" don't set up a team in Darwin then if you can't???
Maybe GC17 and GWS PROVE EXACTLY THAT, OR MAYBE WHAT IS IN NT, IN NUMBERS WOULD FLOOD TO THE FOOTY.
Unlike West Syders!
Flood to where?

16 players on the field to help clear up congestion with 6 on the bench instead of 4.
Why not 16 balls?

B8TzBK_CAAA8rTa.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL owns the club's name, nicknames, and the jumper designs.
Where are they going to play? Alberton Oval? Old VFL venues? who is going to spend the millions to bring them up to standard?
I'm sure any breakaway League would be locked out of the Adelaide Oval and all other major Australian venues by long term contracts with the AFL.
World Series Cricket had to play at the Melbourne showgrounds and VFL Park, hardly ideal venues for the so called cream of the world's cricket talent.
Eventually WSC folded when Packer got his way with the TV rights. Advertising revenue, that's all he was interested in.
I'm sure WSC bowling/batting averages etc. aren't included in any cricket records.

Anyway, any new League would probaby initially have one club in SA, WA, NSW, QLD, TAS, NT, ACT maybe, and 3 or 4 in Vic.
Say goodbye to the WAFL, SANFL, TFL clubs as they will go the way of the old VFA clubs and fold. The driven by profit private owners wouldn't give a stuff about the junior grass roots competitions throughout the country.

I live in the City of Glen Eira, a local council area in Melbourne, it has a larger population than the NT.
Whoops, made a mistake, I was out by 90k, Glen Eira is 153K, but with the adjacent Kingston City of 163K just these two would be much more then the entire NT pop of 246K.

Nah. Scrap St Kilda, Norf and the Bulldogs first. Pointless clubs. Especially St Kilda.

The Dees survive for historical value only.
The Dee's are most irrelevant to the modern era out of all of those.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Not now. And severing in that cut off manner, does not need to happen anyway, if Saints, North and Hawks shared games each season down there then they could all pick up fans in that state and play maybe 5 games each, a year or swap 5 and 5 and one team on its given year does 7 games, and money saved from no GC17 and no GWS could back it up subsidise it until it succeeded, and it would because Tasmania is a footy state!
Then they get 17 matches a year! in Tassie whichever way the fixture works. 17 or 22.
See it only takes some people/person with guts, to say "we're going to try", not sit back and say "what if... this or that... or, what if we just sit and whine at let it fall over" thats the problem! no one DOES anything.

If you think that would ever fly in Tasmania then I don't think you've ever met a Tasmanian.

And yet they're still not a basket case like the other three have been since the dawn of time.
Dee's were a basket case only a decade ago when St Kilda and Bulldogs were doing comfortably.

Swings and roundabouts.

They were fortunate to ride on a lot of goodwill regarding Stynes.

Dee's were a basket case only a decade ago when St Kilda and Bulldogs were doing comfortably.

Swings and roundabouts.

They were fortunate to ride on a lot of goodwill regarding Stynes.

Dee's getting Roos did a lot more then the goodwill for Stynes. St Kilda were doing fine on the field but their finances were still deplorable and the Dogs were an absolute basket case until they hired Beveridge. The Tom Boyd contract could have broken the camels back if it wasn't for the flag they won in 2016.

Caro again pushing for something to happen to North Melbourne. Saying she's hearing that many clubs/some AFL execs think pushing them to Tasmania is the logical option.

I wouldn't wish that on Tasmania, they need their own team. Vlad not forcing North to Gold Coast 13 years ago was the biggest * up the league has made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back