Opinion Time to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35

Should Jaidyn Stephenson be afforded the opportunity to wear the #35 throughout his career?

• Yes

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't know about the rest of you but I've never liked the decision we made surrounding our #35 jumper.

To me it was a rushed decision made by a President basking in the euphoria of a Premiership win.

While I respect the playing career of Simon Prestigiacomo and his selfless decision to rule himself out of our 2010 Grand Final side for someone of my age the #35 is more intrinsically linked to that of Peter Daicos anyway.

Like many I'm sure, he remains my favourite all time Collingwood great and his number 35 was worn proudly on the back of my jumper so for me it's a great shame we have taken away the possibility this number will again adorn the backs of the next generation of supporters because no player will get the opportunity to make an entire career wearing it and the potential to become a star while doing so.

All football clubs have numbers more famous than others and while it might seem quaint to some I just like how it's a simple yet effective way of linking past greats of a club to modern day champions and keeping tradition alive in the face of a game increasingly imposing gimmicks on us the members and supporters.

So I respectfully ask of Ed to allow another to make their mark wearing the #35 for Collingwood because surely if their was ever a perfect moment, with the perfect player, then it's now with a footballer by the name of Jaidyn Stephenson.

Let Stevo Keep it

Stephenson to get number 1 (sorry Fas)

De Goey to get 42. Always thought no player was worthy of Pants number but I will make an exception for Jordan. Jordan has something that Millane had in spades and that is presence.

35 can wait for the son of.

De Goey to get 42. Always thought no player was worthy of Pants number but I will make an exception for Jordan. Jordan has something that Millane had in spades and that is presence.

Son of whom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pants was a Club legend let’s not lose sight of that please boys & girls.

Why? You seem to have a problem with players and drugs but no problem with alcohol?
I choose to ignore the cause of his death, and remember, as pointed out by Daicos last night on The Footy Show, the sacrifices he made during the 1990 finals campaign.
One of the best things that came out of his death was the raised awareness of the consequences of drinking and driving.
Unlike the druggies you refer to, who got an underserved second chance, Pants paid the ultimate price for his stupidity.
The #42 should remain retired as a permanent reminder of the consequences of that choice.

Pants was a Club legend let’s not lose sight of that please boys & girls.

Seeing his number running around inspiring us still is respect, hiding it away does nothing to inspire new generations.
I actually like Stevo in 3....bit of talent on that bench then DeGoey in 2, Stevo in 3, Grundog in 4, Elliot in 5

I choose to ignore the cause of his death, and remember, as pointed out by Daicos last night on The Footy Show, the sacrifices he made during the 1990 finals campaign.
One of the best things that came out of his death was the raised awareness of the consequences of drinking and driving.
Unlike the druggies you refer to, who got an underserved second chance, Pants paid the ultimate price for his stupidity.
The #42 should remain retired as a permanent reminder of the consequences of that choice.
Thomas has kicked over 30 goals this year, the footy he's played this year clearly shows he deserved his second chance.

Seeing his number running around inspiring us still is respect, hiding it away does nothing to inspire new generations.
I actually like Stevo in 3....bit of talent on that bench then DeGoey in 2, Stevo in 3, Grundog in 4, Elliot in 5

I agree Robroy22 but unless Denise gives the all clear for its release I will just enjoy the memories.
Jordan is the closest past Pies player I could compare to Pants. Very similar characters both on and off the field.

As for Stevo I really don't care what number he has because this kid will own whatever number he gets.
Love him.

They actually did make sure to offer it to Josh when he was drafted. McGuire and Pert kinda pestered him about it, but Josh was resolute on making a name for himself in another number.

It was this failure to get another Daicos into #35 that sealed Pert's fate...

Thomas has kicked over 30 goals this year, the footy he's played this year clearly shows he deserved his second chance.
Actual output is no relation to whether he deserved a second chance.
He blew his chance at Collingwood.
If he deserved a second chance it should not have been at Collingwood.
Only a strong culture would enforce that.

Back