Time to be bold and grab a market share in the US and overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Buying US stocks is a bit too risky. The most corrupt stock market in the world

Their stock markets have been going up lately, how the * does that make sense? Unemployment is massive there, people dropping like flies

Expansion plan?

No new teams needed.

Using existing footage and hundreds of AFL players and media people sitting around doing what? SFA.

It's a marketing opportunity to explore when you can't do anything else. Its something that can be done during a lockdown.

Open you mind......and use it.
There was already a plan in discussion to play a game of AFL in the US, much like the China game.

As far as marketing goes, if you’re suggesting that we invest heavily in rights to prime ESPN time slots without those games being live... then your idea is worse than I thought.

Buying US stocks is a bit too risky. The most corrupt stock market in the world

Their stock markets have been going up lately, how the fu** does that make sense? Unemployment is massive there, people dropping like flies
Because it dropped 20% previously?

There was already a plan in discussion to play a game of AFL in the US, much like the China game.

As far as marketing goes, if you’re suggesting that we invest heavily in rights to prime ESPN time slots without those games being live... then your idea is worse than I thought.

Where did I say the AFL should invest heavily in rights to prime time slots?

I didnt.

I said we should utilise internet marketing and all the media, players currently twiddling their tumbs at home plus existing footage to provide new content to educate a market and people who will be looking for new content.

Is that stupid? No it isnt. Its putting valuable resources to good use that currently lay idle. If it doesnt work what have we lost? Time and effort from people who currently are at home, training and self isolating.

If games here start before the US sports industry does its an opportunity of the type never seen before.

West Coast could move to the US and be based on the west coast. Lots of Eagles there too, wouldn’t even have to change their name.

Richmond could tap into the new reality tv show going bananas in the US, Tiger King.

Get three current players to get married to each other and watch the ratings soar.;):cool:

Can Rance be the celebrant?

Those Richmond players are s tight group remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that stupid? No it isnt.

...and backs it up with this.

Richmond could tap into the new reality tv show going bananas in the US, Tiger King.

Get three current players to get married to each other and watch the ratings soar.;):cool:

Can Rance be the celebrant?

Those Richmond players are s tight group remember.

The award for the best Shitpost since the AFL has gone on hiatus goes to the one above!

(and that includes a West Coast Eagles supporter claiming that per capita COVID-19 data is irrelevant and it's only the total number of cases in a state demonstrates how 'risky' that state is0.

I have family in the US, they bought some of their friends last time they came down here. One of the friends came to a crows games and he’s been keeping tabs on them over the past few years.

Europe and America are a very long way off, just play Aussie rules on fox there (I’m sure they will) and see the response.

Forget the betting aspect, give them something to watch. At the least the AFL and clubs should increase their social media followings and go from there, who knows they might be able to sell some footys or merch there.

We already saw the US response to footy being the only sport on in the one round we got away. They loved it (In particular Pat McAfee, a former NFL punter who has been talking about it on his show ever since). If we can get up and running before their sports leagues come back, I think we could pick up a fair few permanent fans.

We need to make game more attractive to market it as such.
It is too congestive and a tacklefest for big chunks of game to be as attractive as you would hope.
Seeing just a few minutes of games from early 90's and earlier on Fox Footy 50 good games, only highlights more to me, how less compelling to watch as a sport the game has become since rotations came into vogue.
Really hoping something can be done about this before we re-start. This break gives plenty of time to think about the game overall and how we run it financially and watch has changed for the worse for the pure sport.
Then it could be incredibly marketable in a time like this if footy starts up here for 3 or 4 months before it does in USA.

It will also be interesting to watch the UFC attempt to have fights on some undisclosed island in coming weeks to see what that does for the sport growth too.
Not many others sport can get off the ground right now, so if Dana White can really pull that off in next week will be interesting to see how many eyeballs watch that sport this April. Amazing opportunity for sports that get up going months before others can.

Last edited:
We already saw the US response to footy being the only sport on in the one round we got away. They loved it (In particular Pat McAfee, a former NFL punter who has been talking about it on his show ever since). If we can get up and running before their sports leagues come back, I think we could pick up a fair few permanent fans.
I think this is probably what the OP was referring to. There were plenty of extra viewers for round 1 and while there is no sport in most of the world, US sports lovers will want to watch something.

Where did I say the AFL should invest heavily in rights to prime time slots?

I didnt.

I said we should utilise internet marketing and all the media, players currently twiddling their tumbs at home plus existing footage to provide new content to educate a market and people who will be looking for new content.

Is that stupid? No it isnt. Its putting valuable resources to good use that currently lay idle. If it doesnt work what have we lost? Time and effort from people who currently are at home, training and self isolating.

If games here start before the US sports industry does its an opportunity of the type never seen before.
It's such a large if that it makes your point really not worth mentioning. They're moving into summer, us into winter. I'd keep my powder dry.

As for the normal television market, it just doesn't work for the same reason that even EUFA with all their squillions have struggled for US viewership. No US teams, no US players, no games in the US (= no live broadcast in prime-time). Unless we are going to cross one of those thresholds then it's a dumb idea as an investment.

Also just by the by what do do you mean 'nothing to lose'? Do you know how much marketing on major sports websites and channels would cost?

Australians vastly overestimate how interesting our sport is over other sports. The game is 150 years old and for all intents and purposes is unknown outside of Australia.

No doubt it's the greatest sport on Earth, but I think there is a 0% chance that Aussie Rules ever gains any sort of meaningful foothold in the United States.

You have nearly touched on one of the big issues that our game faces if we wanted to market it internationally. Yes, there are problems with the game itself but they will get ironed out in time.

What would need to be dramatically addressed is the quality of the broadcast and the associated commentary. Can you imagine how potential international viewers are going handle hearing Bruce and his "special" type of comments ?? Nearly all of the commentators we have just speak utter s**t and give no real insight into the game or the tactics being used.

Prior to trying to break into an international market, we have to improve the product we are offering first !!

Zero chance.
Zero.
People understimate the cultural factors in sports.
The sport itself is secondary.
Australians falsely believe we are close in culture to Americans. This is because we grow up with their tv shows and their movies.
But people need to understand this is a one way street.
They have absolutely zero cultural affiliation with us.
We are much much different folk than we imagine. Completely different people .
They will never embrace our game. It is a one sided fantasy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back