Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
delete what for ?
I’m not ahead of myself or pre emting anything
Just pointing out we live a long way away
Bastard flight companies know and steadily start putting up the prices till it’s robbery
So at some point it becomes a gamble
I have tried both strategies in the past and neither are appetising

The funny thing is - we get bagged and laughed at for it.

But unless you live in WA - you don't realise the logistical nightmare that is getting to the GF.

Buying tickets now is not saying we are guaranteed a GF spot, it is simply saying we are in the mix and should we happen to make it, I want to guarantee my ability to get there.

Booking cancellable tickets now will end up cheaper than buying the cheapest fare on the weekend of the prelim final should we make it.

Moley27

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Booked mine last week after the Richmond game, not in any expectation that we will actually get there more in reality that if I left in any longer I wouldn't be able to afford the flights, they have already gone up $300 since then.

I'm hopeful we make it, if not I'll just enjoy the atmosphere in Melbourne regardless of who gets there.

Illeagle

Senior List
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Sneakily went and booked a few meetings for work in Melbourne for grand final week. So i had them book me flights and accommodation for the GF. Head office based in QLD didn't even catch on to what i was up to besides asking why I'm booking flights 4 months in advance. "Yeah i just like to be super organised". Ha!

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Sneakily went and booked a few meetings for work in Melbourne for grand final week. So i had them book me flights and accommodation for the GF. Head office based in QLD didn't even catch on to what i was up to besides asking why I'm booking flights 4 months in advance. "Yeah i just like to be super organised". Ha!

That's very good, well played.

StateOE

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone get the email about the Grand Final package?
What happens if Eagles don't make the Grand Final?

kit_kath

Debutant
Oct 12, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
I remember reading that there are about 12,000 Category 1 members (which includes Club 86 etc). I think each competing GF club gets about 15,000 tickets from memory? so if you are Category 1 you are guaranteed a ticket. It will be a lottery for the rest...

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont want to put a downer on anything but if we manage to make the gf its most likely going to be against a MCG tenant. Not sure I would want to spend money on what is a likely outcome.

I genuinely believe we can beat richmond and in particular melbourne there on grand final day. TBH i think part of the trick will actually be in building up the media and umpires to the dropping the ball scenario.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone get the email about the Grand Final package?
What happens if Eagles don't make the Grand Final?
I purchased one last year through the club as one of my mates had never been and wanted to experience one (we were not expecting the Eagles to make it). I've had a look at the packages for this year and the Eagle's look like the best value by far for the cheaper seats (AFL official packages are $300 more expensive). If I wasn't away in Europe for grand final (I know - you should never book September holidays!), then I'd roll the dice and buy flights now as well as seriously consider buying a package. Not only do the flights go up as you get closer to September but the cheap packages sell out quickly as well, especially when a big club like Richmond is doing well.

It's all a gamble but it's the only way to be sure you'll get there without having to spend $5-$6K if you leave it to the last minute. In 2015 I rolled the dice and bought it all in August - it made the prelim final against North very interesting when we didn't kick a goal in the first quarter and I realised I could be off to watch Hawks v North. In hindsight, that might have been a more entertaining game :)

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I remember reading that there are about 12,000 Category 1 members (which includes Club 86 etc). I think each competing GF club gets about 15,000 tickets from memory? so if you are Category 1 you are guaranteed a ticket. It will be a lottery for the rest...

I think your right ... it’s kinda like Cat 1 has replaced note holders

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
I think your right ... it’s kinda like Cat 1 has replaced note holders
If it's 12,000 then yep, Cat A / P1 members would be guaranteed a ticket if they go in ballot. Clubs got 17,000 last year.
But would love to see something official from the club re numbers.

pretty much all note holders had the chance to be cat 1 too
Yeh they did, so if they chose cheaper Cat B-E (P2) tickets, that was their choice - so they have no right to complain on loss of priority WCE we make it. Though I think most Noteholders took the Cat A tickets on the northern wing.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If it's 12,000 then yep, Cat A / P1 members would be guaranteed a ticket if they go in ballot. Clubs got 17,000 last year.
But would love to see something official from the club re numbers.

Yeh they did, so if they chose cheaper Cat B-E (P2) tickets, that was their choice - so they have no right to complain on loss of priority WCE we make it. Though I think most Noteholders took the Cat A tickets on the northern wing.

Kind of sucks if you preferred other seats but we’re happy to pay the same price as cat a.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GUys way to early its round 11 and we have more than half a season a lot can change
Sure, no guarantees at all we'll be there - but getting to Melbourne will just get harder and more expensive as the season goes on. It's understandable people are considering there options with flexible flights etc.

If we make it, looks like I'll end up taking a road trip.

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Sure, no guarantees at all we'll be there - but getting to Melbourne will just get harder and more expensive as the season goes on. It's understandable people are considering there options with flexible flights etc.

If we make it, looks like I'll end up taking a road trip.

how much you reckon that costs fuel sleep and food etc and how long 3 days … curious, driving Nullarbor etc been on my bucket list

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
how much you reckon that costs fuel sleep and food etc and how long 3 days … curious, driving Nullarbor etc been on my bucket list
I've done the nullabor a couple of times - once with a tent, once with a camper trailer. Some may find it boring, but I'm a big fan of long trips

It hard to say how much without knowing how much fuel your car uses - or if you tow or not.
You should be able to do the sums for fuel - it's just under 7000 k round trip (plus what ever driving you do in Melbourne).
Accommodation costs depends if you sleep in car / camp / caravan / stay at roadhouse accommodation.
Food is similar - packing food for the trip v buying at roadhouses makes a big difference money wise.

There would be 4 of us if I drive over, so cheaper than flights for me.

Time depends how you much your willing to drive v sleep if you have a couple of drivers. Even with 2 drivers, I'd stop over night, so would be 3 to 4 days for me. You may want to take longer to do tourist stuff on the way over.

Royals

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I've done the nullabor a couple of times - once with a tent, once with a camper trailer. Some may find it boring, but I'm a big fan of long trips

It hard to say how much without knowing how much fuel your car uses - or if you tow or not.
You should be able to do the sums for fuel - it's just under 7000 k round trip (plus what ever driving you do in Melbourne).
Accommodation costs depends if you sleep in car / camp / caravan / stay at roadhouse accommodation.
Food is similar - packing food for the trip v buying at roadhouses makes a big difference money wise.

There would be 4 of us if I drive over, so cheaper than flights for me.

Time depends how you much your willing to drive v sleep if you have a couple of drivers. Even with 2 drivers, I'd stop over night, so would be 3 to 4 days for me. You may want to take longer to do tourist stuff on the way over.
thanks for that another option

Back