Game Day Time to bring back the Grand Final replay??

Should AFL HQ bring back the Grand Final replay??

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Normally I think Gerard Wheatley is wrong about most things but I think he might be close to the pulse on this one he mentioned on AFL360 tonight.

In the aftermath of the incredible World Cup Final last night( largely due to the tie at the normal match end) the super over and winning result based on the number of boundaries is a joke!!!

Imagine if the winner of the premiership in a season was based on the number of free kicks they had throughout the season versus another team if all other avenues where tied including 5 minutes each way!!!

Given it would be terrible if the circus result last night determined an AFL premiership should we bring back the Grand Final replay??

Normally I think Gerard Wheatley is wrong about most things but I think he might be close to the pulse on this one he mentioned on AFL360 tonight.

In the aftermath of the incredible World Cup Final last night( largely due to the tie at the normal match end) the super over and winning result based on the number of boundaries is a joke!!!

Imagine if the winner of the premiership in a season was based on the number of free kicks they had throughout the season versus another team if all other avenues where tied including 5 minutes each way!!!

Given it would be terrible if the circus result last night determined an AFL premiership should we bring back the Grand Final replay??

Except we can just keep extending the time, if that unlikely event were to happen. This was clear England bias, dictating the rules and the result. We won't have the same issues in the AFL, given that it's not one country's organization dictating the result against another.

Wheatley is a moron lol. He's Geelong, but he's still a moron. Grand Final replays are a product of a bygone era, and will never emerge again. Extra time is such a simple thing to add in a high scoring quick game like AFL, that rescheduling and bringing everyone back again serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.

Except we can just keep extending the time, if that unlikely event were to happen. This was clear England bias, dictating the rules and the result. We won't have the same issues in the AFL, given that it's not one country's organization dictating the result against another.

Wheatley is a moron lol. He's Geelong, but he's still a moron. Grand Final replays are a product of a bygone era, and will never emerge again. Extra time is such a simple thing to add in a high scoring quick game like AFL, that rescheduling and bringing everyone back again serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.

I agree, about your description about Wheatley but I think his point has merit.

Play the week later and the players can get a monetary bonus for winning it, the elite can stay away from the second grand final if need be, they are not relevant anyway and an eyesore and it would be like the Ivansevic/Rafter wimbledon final for the people with better crowd involvement and pricing for the people. Fans would love it, the parade second time around etc.. can be ignored!!

I had no issue with Pies versus Saints second time around.

I just think if a team wins not during normal time it is not a real premiership win no matter what spin the authorities might wish to put on it.

Who thinks England really convincingly won it after all??

I think a second Grand Final replay is part of the uniqueness and beauty of Aussie Rules and if there was a third Grand Final replay needed so be it!!! It helps make our unique game special in my eyes where a lot of other sports are crap regarding the contest and entertainment value!!

We haven’t had one draw in 144 games so far this year. This thread is a little premature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We haven’t had one draw in 144 games so far this year. This thread is a little premature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if some club winning it becomes a farce!!!

Imagine if Richmond won it after 30 plus years on some count back or whatever and kids would not give other kids the required kudos because of a trial decision was the determination and so did not respect the supposed victory.

Does that mean more hell for the fans and they have to wait another forty years for affirmation???

A premiership surely is an important thing and should not be trivialised in some mickey mouse time gimmick!!!

The super over let alone the count back was not as exciting as the non-catch on the boundary or the deflection and the result of the initial tie in the match!!! Stil the teams can go at it again in another four years. Some clubs might not have a chance for another sixty years or longer to get it right and reward effort rather than the chance of a flip of a coin!!!

I'm all for a gf replay but the AFL will never do it now that it's gone to extra time. It's all about them working less for more $$$ these days.

This was clear England bias, dictating the rules and the result. We won't have the same issues in the AFL

England bias? Did they change the rules in the moment to ensure a victory? No... The rules were known before the game was played, England won based on the rules already set out. How could that possibly be seen as a bad thing?

Secondly, we do have that problem in the AFL. The AFL change rules to suit their agendas and will reverse on field decisions (St Kilda vs Freo) if they want to.

In this day and age of teams from all over Australia it’s not really fair to ask say west coast to come back a week later to play a replay. The main problem is golden point, imagine winning a flag off a rush behind? Just keep playing 5 mins of extra time until scores aren’t locked... simple.

I don’t think Gerrard was suggesting a return to the GF replay. He was just posing the question that, if a GF were tied, is the 2 x 5 mins then ‘golden point’ a satisfactory ending? And, like most of us, he thinks it’s not.

I think for most of us the ‘golden point’ aspect is the sticking point. Surely just keep playing 2 x 5 mins.

Here's an idea, if scores are locked after 10 minutes of extra time, play another 5 minutes? Unlikely event scores are still locked after that 5 minutes? Play next goal wins.

It's not that hard to avoid a replay which is the worst way of all to solve it and shouldn't even be a suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gil on radio saying the two halves are no time on and so players will know from clock when its approaching the 5 min mark and if golden score will apply.

Issue i have is no time on. What if player does bad injury and stretcher / buggy called and 3-4 mins of grand final extra time is lost?!?

ET is fine. Golden point however, is bulls**t. Just keep playing ET like the NBA.
Exactly. Absolutely no need to front up the following week. Complete anti climax and totally unnecessary. Just continue playing extra time until a clear winner is produced. Exactly how the World Cup final should’ve been decided; another super over.

Replay would work if there was a week break in between... Give everyone, players, fans, media to digest the draw and generate proper build up for the replay ... However it would Clash with racing, cricket preparations, and possibly WWE

The build up to the 2010 replay was almost non existent... Felt like a Round 28 home and away game

Getting rid of the replay was spot on. Think of how you'd feel when you've finally scored a ticket to a grand final after years of supporting your club only to get no result. Let alone fans that travel from outside of Victoria, indeed outside of the country (I know of a bloke that travelled from Iceland to get to the 2015 Grand Final).

Extra time until there is a winner is the best and fairest approach.

Picture this. A Grand Final is played in a uncharacteristically blustery September day. There is a gale blowing to one end of the ground. All game the team kicking with the win has had a 5 goal advantage. So much so that scores are dead level at the end of the fourth quarter. We then go into extra time and the wind picks up some more. The team kicking with the wind first nails 3 goals straight in the first 5 minutes. The teams switch ends and the team kicking with the wind second then levels things up and as the clock passes 5 minutes scores are once again level.

The game then goes to golden point just as the ball gets back to the centre square. The team kicking against the wind clears the ball from the centre but is unable to penetrate far into their attacking fifty. The team kicking with the wind gather the ball and with two long bombs have a stoppage deep in their forward line.
The ball is thrown up and the attacking ruckman fists it through for a behind and his team then become premiers.

Obviously this is extremely unlikely to happen, especially with the Grand Final at the MCG. But you've got to factor in unlikely scenarios when you're implementing rules.

I am just very anti golden point :p

We've had 3 drawn grand finals in league history. 122 seasons for 3 times a drawn grand final and replayed the next week.
One every generation is pretty normal but no reason you could not have another one happen any time soon. The very first football game I ever watched was 1977 grand final. It was a draw. So having seen two of them already I would not be surprised if another happens.

Back