List Mgmt. Time to demand Reid and Co. to be sacked.

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
I’m stressing until season’s end about where that Giants pick ends up. Depends how good that player + McAsey end up compared to Ash and Stephens, given we could’ve drafted either (I assume it would’ve been Stephens given his SA connections and being a midfielder).
Wasn't the strong rumour that we would have picked McAsey regardless, so the GWS pick is just gravy?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
How much of our diabolical (sub F-) list management can be excused by the club falsely believing we were still in the premiership window after 2017/2018?

I mean, is that a good excuse? Isn't it your job as list manager (or the list management team) to recognize when players are past (or going to be past) their prime?
It's a fair point but I have no doubt that poor coaching and fitness has brought about the ends of some careers much faster than usual. Plenty of clubs have guys 30 or over and still contributing good footy. Our team on the other hand has guys looking cooked at age 28 ffs.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's a fair point but I have no doubt that poor coaching and fitness has brought about the ends of some careers much faster than usual. Plenty of clubs have guys 30 or over and still contributing good footy. Our team on the other hand has guys looking cooked at age 28 ffs.
You should have a chat to some Collingwood folk. A few I know constantly talk about their players falling off cliffs in their late 20's. Pendlebury has been a ray of hope for them

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Had to bump this...
Pick 4 for pick 6 and 9
Jake Lever - $750k
Mitch McGovern -> McAdam, McHenry +$500k

You're rubbish Reidy
I like the Freo trade last year too. We somehow got a better pick and gave up nothing we were going to use

Plus that GWS trade, where we turned one 2nd round pick into two?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
That deal that nabbed us Shane McAdam is starting to look like a masterstroke and not only some some of his high flying marking etc it's the pressure he brings with his closing speed. Just hope he looks after himself over the break and has an injury free pre-season then I can really see him taking off into one of the premier small/medium forwards in the League for the next few years.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
That deal that nabbed us Shane McAdam is starting to look like a masterstroke and not only some some of his high flying marking etc it's the pressure he brings with his closing speed. Just hope he looks after himself over the break and has an injury free pre-season then I can really see him taking off into one of the premier small/medium forwards in the League for the next few years.
Just imagine if McHenry does make it too.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the times I've been most happy to be completely wrong about a guy in here!

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just imagine if McHenry does make it too.
I've said it before, but I have a feeling that McHenry started his offseason weights program over a month ago. Along with Fish.

Both are still a very solid preseason away from being physically up to the level they would want to be to play the roles they want to play. They both got a good taste this year, and will be better for the sample, but adding another 5kg to Ned and 5-10kg to Fish will be vital before round 1 2021.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
I didn't like the deal when McAdam showed up unfit but wow , he is a gun. If he could only kick. Given time I think Stengle also will turn into something Eddie like. Already has the tackling and sneaking in goals. It took Eddie a while to make it at Carlton.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You've short change Lever by $50K, he got the same amount as McGovern, both were correctly offered $550K by the Crows.
If that's the case (and I don't doubt it at all) they would have been the highest paid defender and forward on our list respectively.

Wow those trade's look bad for opposing teams. Just goes to show how important it is to develop your own KP players. Going after them in trade is risky business!

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If that's the case (and I don't doubt it at all) they would have been the highest paid defender and forward on our list respectively.

Wow those trade's look bad for opposing teams. Just goes to show how important it is to develop your own KP players. Going after them in trade is risky business!
There's nothing wrong with going after KPPs intrades, it's when you offer 800k to a third defender/forward and want to make them the #1 guy, that's when you have troubles!

I haven't seen too many dogs games this year, but can only see from stats that Alex Keath is having a year no better than Kyle Hartigan, who is probably earning about $500k less and not on a long term contract.

I trust these people who have called for Reid to be sacked will show up and admit they were wrong.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's nothing wrong with going after KPPs intrades, it's when you offer 800k to a third defender/forward and want to make them the #1 guy, that's when you have troubles!

I haven't seen too many dogs games this year, but can only see from stats that Alex Keath is having a year no better than Kyle Hartigan, who is probably earning about $500k less and not on a long term contract.

I trust these people who have called for Reid to be sacked will show up and admit they were wrong.
Exactly, and that's the point, to trade them in you need to pay overs in both trade value and salary. And then hope they're good traits gel with your current back 6 or front 6.

That's why its always good to have good young developmental KPP at the club IMO. Something that the Crows are actually pretty good at historically!

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

You know we are paying part of Betts salary this year, Jenkins this year and next, Gibbs payout, likely Davis payout? Sloane in the end will prove costly.

We also got unders on the Keath and Greenwood trades, so I wouldn’t starting beating your chest just yet.

He’s had some good wins but some poor losses too.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know we are paying part of Betts salary this year, Jenkins this year and next, Gibbs payout, likely Davis payout? Sloane in the end will prove costly.

We also got unders on the Keath and Greenwood trades, so I wouldn’t starting beating your chest just yet.

Davis payout? Lol

He got a 2nd for Keath, right on the money, not unders or overs. We will likely turn Keath into Hately.

Gibbs I'm hearing will go into this year and won't be much at all.

Jenkins, not good, but better than keeping him (note Noble was still ops manager for this one, so his fingerprints are over this too).

It's so far from Time to demand Reid and Co. to be sacked it's not funny

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Exactly, and that's the point, to trade them in you need to pay overs in both trade value and salary. And then hope they're good traits gel with your current back 6 or front 6.

That's why its always good to have good young developmental KPP at the club IMO. Something that the Crows are actually pretty good at historically!
If you are going to bring players in, you need to make sure you get the right ones, that fit with TPP, picks, contract length / age and then where your team is at in it's 'window'.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Davis payout? Lol

He got a 2nd for Keath, right on the money, not unders or overs. We will likely turn Keath into Hately.

Gibbs I'm hearing will go into this year and won't be much at all.

Jenkins, not good, but better than keeping him (note Noble was still ops manager for this one, so his fingerprints are over this too).

It's so far from Time to demand Reid and Co. to be sacked it's not funny
Why Davis LOL? you don't think he will be let go or no big deal paying out a contract?

I've noticed in your defence of Reid you are loose with the truth.

For Keath we received pick 45 and their 2020 pick, which is likely to be about 30, but we gave back our 2020 third rounder which will likely be about 40. So for a bloke they gave a 4 year deal on reasonable money we walked away with a third rounder and a slight pick upgrade, that's poor.

Gibbs you are hearing? Where from? Even if it is this year, we are paying him $$ and we could have reshuffled contracts and freed up cap for next year by bringing $$ into this year.

Jenkins was s**t and you like to blame Noble for this one which is bulldust.

No mention of Betts? Sloane on 5 years? Greenwood?

Reid's performance is definitely worthy of scrutiny, some good deals but a heap of poor decisions.

Also pick 30 for Hately is one big LOL

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Throw in Tex, Seedsman and possibly Lynch and that's where the errors have been made.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Why Davis LOL? you don't think he will be let go or no big deal paying out a contract?

I've noticed in your defence of Reid you are loose with the truth.

For Keath we received pick 45 and their 2020 pick, which is likely to be about 30, but we gave back our 2020 third rounder which will likely be about 40. So for a bloke they gave a 4 year deal on reasonable money we walked away with a third rounder and a slight pick upgrade, that's poor.

Gibbs you are hearing? Where from? Even if it is this year, we are paying him $$ and we could have reshuffled contracts and freed up cap for next year by bringing $$ into this year.

Jenkins was sh*t and you like to blame Noble for this one which is bulldust.

No mention of Betts? Sloane on 5 years? Greenwood?

Reid's performance is definitely worthy of scrutiny, some good deals but a heap of poor decisions.

Also pick 30 for Hately is one big LOL
Realistically, the stuff you mention really isn't that big.

Keath was about right. Betts was probably one year too long and Sloane will be - but that happens with your key veterans.

Jenkins was the right contract and the right length - the issue, really, was keeping him at all. Jenkins isn't cooked physically, he just isn't a person teams want anymore.

Every side has small things like this. His wins far outweigh it.

Back