Roast Time to drop the pointless aggression from games

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure they'd do fine. Kids of today are no different to kids in our era (I assume I'm similar vintage) good and bad, energetic and lazy - nothing much as changed.

This tendency to a) look at everything in our era through rose-coloured glasses and b) insult the kids of today as lazy and not good enough is seriously a load of bollocks.

I didn’t insult them, I said they seem to be having many issues with mental health , anxiety etc that we didn’t seem to have. My question was why is this? Change of parenting? Lack of resilience? Always seem to be tired?
what is different today than it was for us at 16-25 years old?
I wish I knew the answer as I simply don’t understand.

I didn’t insult them, I said they seem to be having many issues with mental health , anxiety etc that we didn’t seem to have. My question was why is this? Change of parenting? Lack of resilience? Always seem to be tired?
what is different today than it was for us at 16-25 years old?
I wish I knew the answer as I simply don’t understand.
Mental health, perhaps back in the day it was seen as soft, weak, gay if you had a mental illness ergo people never spoke of it. Ergo no speak no problems.

I believe as we get older, our fondness of memories of yore increase. Just as players in bygone eras become better players as the years go by

Mental health, perhaps back in the day it was seen as soft, weak, gay if you had a mental illness ergo people never spoke of it. Ergo no speak no problems.

I believe as we get older, our fondness of memories of yore increase. Just as players in bygone eras become better players as the years go by

No doubt people had issues back in the day and had little or no help and it must of been very difficult for them. It is great we have somewhere to turn now to get help.
On the flip side of that the toughen up princess era also helped many people find a way forward to get past their issues.
With that totally gone now we simply have many people with issues. Some minor, some major.
I think Ablett Snr is the best footballer I have ever seen, I don’t compare him to modern players as I think they are playing a different sport. I have always thought the greats of any sport stand the test of time.

The verbal niggle has been around forever in footy, of course a few decades ago this led to being physical and fortunately the violence has been removed from the game.
The young people today can do as they want, doesn’t bother me as they are the ones waking up daily dealing with issues in their heads we didn’t deal with.
Very glad I grew up in the era I did, we were not in a cocoon and not protected by our parents from the real world. We knew right from wrong and had to decide what our actions were based on that. We did the wrong thing we were punished.
Totally different world to now with totally different outcomes for the people.

cumon not the old back in my day routine.

I lived back in those days and it was way easier in every aspect in life. From education requirements to get a job to housing costs to costs of living. It’s utter bs by my generation and generations before me. It plays into the I’m tuff because it was harder routine. It’s why younger generations laugh at the puffed out chest, firm handshake & deep voice generation. I cringe sometimes when I catch up with some of my older friends who still think they’re 18 when really they’re old enough to be grandfathers.

Those days are never coming back & never will because they’re from a bygone era just like horse and carts will never come back or the s**t can out the back or fellas givin the mrs a hiding or piss heads at the pub asking someone out the back.

Move on or get left behind living in the past.

What happens when you put your forearm or back of your hand on your opponent at a stoppage to get and maintain contact thru the ball up? It is necessary contact as its how players get proprioceptive feedback about how an opponent is going to move.

What about when they push you away to stop you?

Its a contact sport and not all that contact is violent. Some of it is positional, some is for info gathering purposes and some is related to the contest.

That stuff is in the usual play of the game, & is covered by current rules & interpretations.

Cheap unnecessary pushes & bumps deliberately caused by an aggressor & not legitimately part of the game or play, are the problem.

I lived back in those days and it was way easier in every aspect in life. From education requirements to get a job to housing costs to costs of living. It’s utter bs by my generation and generations before me. It plays into the I’m tuff because it was harder routine. It’s why younger generations laugh at the puffed out chest, firm handshake & deep voice generation. I cringe sometimes when I catch up with some of my older friends who still think they’re 18 when really they’re old enough to be grandfathers.

Those days are never coming back & never will because they’re from a bygone era just like horse and carts will never come back or the sh*t can out the back or fellas givin the mrs a hiding or piss heads at the pub asking someone out the back.

Move on or get left behind living in the past.

Utter rubbish mate. There is nothing harder now to do if you want to do it. What are you prepared to sacrifice to get what you want?
See it however you like mate, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

I lived back in those days and it was way easier in every aspect in life. From education requirements to get a job to housing costs to costs of living....

......a public service where if you could stand upright and breathe for long enough you got promoted !!

Utter rubbish mate. There is nothing harder now to do if you want to do it. What are you prepared to sacrifice to get what you want?
See it however you like mate, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

yeh it’s easier having to have a forty year loan than a twenty year loan for a house or that the majority of work out their for the younger generation is casual. Yeh so much easier. That just there says enough. I’ve seen enough of my older generation to see if they started now it’d be the dole queue or low paid nothing work.

It is the way I see it and a lot of Aussies do to.

......a public service where if you could stand upright and breathe for long enough you got promoted !!

Or the old finish year ten go into an unskilled manufacturing job and cruise along on great pay that gets you owning a house by 40. And if your dumb enough you’ll end up being mates with the leading hand and get a promotion.

I couldn’t care what anyone said I’d hate to be starting my life now than when I did decades ago.

No doubt people had issues back in the day and had little or no help and it must of been very difficult for them. It is great we have somewhere to turn now to get help.
On the flip side of that the toughen up princess era also helped many people find a way forward to get past their issues.
With that totally gone now we simply have many people with issues. Some minor, some major.

Sorry - I know it seems like I'm picking on you but a statement like that is wrong. There are still plenty of hard kids out there. For a start you generally have both parents working these days so a lot of kids are shoved out the door having made their own breakfast (for example) and get their way to school. Equally a lot are driven to school.

Maybe I'm lucky - I've got three daughters and I find their group of friends are generally beautifully spoken, very polite, play sport and have a part time job and have all done pretty well. As said earlier, we were pretty much guaranteed employment coming out of school or Uni - much tougher now for the kids and forget trying to afford a house.

Equally I have a nephew who literally sleeps to 4:00pm each day - so go figure !! :rolleyes:

yeh it’s easier having to have a forty year loan than a twenty year loan for a house or that the majority of work out their for the younger generation is casual. Yeh so much easier. That just there says enough. I’ve seen enough of my older generation to see if they started now it’d be the dole queue or low paid nothing work.

It is the way I see it and a lot of Aussies do to.

There were just as many lazy, play the victim people in our era also.
I agree that lots see it as you do and hence why nothing gets better. Don’t rock the boat is easier than trying to find out why so many are struggling.

Sorry - I know it seems like I'm picking on you but a statement like that is wrong. There are still plenty of hard kids out there. For a start you generally have both parents working these days so a lot of kids are shoved out the door having made their own breakfast (for example) and get their way to school. Equally a lot are driven to school.

Maybe I'm lucky - I've got three daughters and I find their group of friends are generally beautifully spoken, very polite, play sport and have a part time job and have all done pretty well. As said earlier, we were pretty much guaranteed employment coming out of school or Uni - much tougher now for the kids and forget trying to afford a house.

Equally I have a nephew who literally sleeps to 4:00pm each day - so go figure !! :rolleyes:

Pretty similar here, I have two girls who have both had no issues, they hang around nice friends, they all work, they both save for what they want and both know that nothing is for free. We never fixed things for them we always have them options and guidance of course but we wanted them to stand up for themselves and solve their own issues.
My sisters 3 kids on the flip side never heard the word no, got everything they want, their parents solved everything for them and all 3 of them really struggle with life and my sister just doesn’t understand why?
Nothing is ever easy and each individual is different of course. But laying around saying poor old me won’t fix it. However I don’t know what will fix it.

Pretty similar here, I have two girls who have both had no issues, they hang around nice friends, they all work, they both save for what they want and both know that nothing is for free. We never fixed things for them we always have them options and guidance of course but we wanted them to stand up for themselves and solve their own issues.
My sisters 3 kids on the flip side never heard the word no, got everything they want, their parents solved everything for them and all 3 of them really struggle with life and my sister just doesn’t understand why?
Nothing is ever easy and each individual is different of course. But laying around saying poor old me won’t fix it. However I don’t know what will fix it.

That I agree with. As parents our major job should be to equip the kids with life skills e.g pay a bill, get their car fixed, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were just as many lazy, play the victim people in our era also.
I agree that lots see it as you do and hence why nothing gets better. Don’t rock the boat is easier than trying to find out why so many are struggling.

They’re struggling because previous generations ignored the changes and just thought well I worked at the local manufacturing plant, bought a house, popped out a few kids, then self medicated with piss every night. And so will my boy.Never thinking how different and difficult life will be later on. It’s not playing the victim it’s how life is. The world changes, you either change with it or live in the past that’s never coming back.

It’s like the stupid old coots that pine for the shirt front or the good old biffo in the forward pocket. It’s from a bygone era that ain’t ever coming back. The majority of generations believed theirs was the best and funnily it gets repeated by every generation. Go look on the cricket boards on here and read what people say about t20, it’s basically the same as what was said in the late 70’s about one day cricket. Pyjama cricket, it’s a fad etc

The no niggle is ideal to aim for, it would be great for people that don't cope well with bullying. BUT, at the ELITE level there is obsessively competitive people pushed to the absolute limit of performance. Add performance pressure, crowd pressure, social media abuse, anxiety in public, combined with a borderline obsession to win and extremely hard physical contests. There will be spillover.

The vast, majority in here will never, ever get close to those pressures, maybe some state level people around but for the most part, you don't understand what it is to be them. So stop treating them like robots and understand that this stuff will always exist in some form or another.

They’re struggling because previous generations ignored the changes and just thought well I worked at the local manufacturing plant, bought a house, popped out a few kids, then self medicated with piss every night. And so will my boy.Never thinking how different and difficult life will be later on. It’s not playing the victim it’s how life is. The world changes, you either change with it or live in the past that’s never coming back.

It’s like the stupid old coots that pine for the shirt front or the good old biffo in the forward pocket. It’s from a bygone era that ain’t ever coming back. The majority of generations believed theirs was the best and funnily it gets repeated by every generation. Go look on the cricket boards on here and read what people say about t20, it’s basically the same as what was said in the late 70’s about one day cricket. Pyjama cricket, it’s a fad etc

Mental health issues is hardly a fad, and it’s growing at an alarming rate. I genuinely am worried about it and don’t understand why.

Mental health issues is hardly a fad, and it’s growing at an alarming rate. I genuinely am worried about it and don’t understand why.

Its more recognised now. Just like dementia used to be accepted as old timers and it was just accepted that is what happened when you were getting old, imo it’s always been there it’s just that as a society we’ve become educated to what it is. mental health issues are viewed as a destabilisation of someone’s life and long term can have catastrophic outcomes. Some will view it as losing a loved one others will view it as losing a tax payer either by not being able to function in regular daily activities or death.

In the old days older people like us just looked at the local drunk at the pub as the drop kick at the end of the bar spending his dole check on piss. Now we should realise he may have massive issues and it’s his way of medicating. it’s why what they’re doing with spuds legacy is important. We could save a mate, brother or father.And like I’ve said a tax payer.

It literally can happen to anyone, The happiest, saddest, poorest or richest person, the best or worst sportsman. That’s what you would be worried about.

Society progresses. A long time ago imo people with asthma would have been viewed as weak. “They just need to try harder”.

But like I’ve said times change. People become more open minded. People accept that these things exist. And I’ll put my hand up I was one that never believed this type of thing existed when I was younger.

I think you will find most people believe and acknowledge what you have written about mental health.

On the flip side, it's not too much to acknowledge that the AFL would have a nigh on impossible time adjudicating penalties for said niggle. Every little bump at a congested stoppage, it would make staging worse and we'd end up with soccer. Not to mention slowing stoppages down even more so we can make sure everyone is abiding by the rules. Clearly the AFL is trying to speed things up atm.

That stuff is in the usual play of the game, & is covered by current rules & interpretations.

Cheap unnecessary pushes & bumps deliberately caused by an aggressor & not legitimately part of the game or play, are the problem.
If its not during play its hard to police tho. Because the head high and in the back rules are for conduct during play as part of the game. Random frees for unbecoming conduct or some such thing could ... well imagine Ray Chamberlain with that much more power.

And I agree they are a problem. the thing about the old days was people got belted for doing that stuff, unless they were too tough themselves but ... well there is always someone tougher. Anyway it was self policed to a degree and everyone understood (umps, tribunal etc etc) that side of things. You might criticise that as old man bullshit but it was how humans have behaved for a long time. But all social mammals do it, even unsocial ones when they are interacting in groups.

Changing onfield behaviour isn't really gonna happen at AFL level. It requires a rethink in how we interact and a lifetime of training to overcome genetic programming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back