Time to get positive. Things aren't as bad as they seem.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a reasonably positive person and I loves me footy with a passion, but gotta say, this opening 6 matches has been hard viewing. Watched the Hobart game in a pub surrounded by Tiges supporters, so relatively speaking, I was in a pretty positive place. But.....we are playing a pretty average brand of footy. If Nostradamus could pop in now and say it is all going according to plan as in the previous years, and we are just getting into gear for a barnstorming second half of the season, then, yes, I could be more positive. But last I heard Nossy is relaxing on a beach in the Caribbean with his phone turned off, so I am just taking it as I see it.

The two frustrations or disappointments have been our midfield and coaching. I would say the only midfielder playing his part in contested footy, tackling, working hard both defensively and offensively, and making good decisions is 203cm tall. That the rest of our midfield isn't capitalizing on having the leagues outstanding ruckman in such dominant form is hard to accept. Cunners has dropped off badly (opposition coaches know not to corral him or give him space), Gibbo just ain't getting it (DE has improved, but simply not enough D to justify that), Basti has had his moments, just not enough moments, JZ has been the best of them, but still not dominant in any way, Spitta been ok but not damaging, Boomer losing his mojo (!?!) and/or being badly coached, Ats simply struggling to impact, Wood been good, but just learning the caper, Wellsy is in that 2-week blackhole, NDS in Siberia, Levi is just a blurred memory, and Dumont has played one of the best quarters of all of them but can't get a game because of our brilliant midfield (!!!!!!?????!!!!). Not a lot to be positive about there.

The coaching/team selection has been poor, at best. On team selection, there are many cases....leaving Benny Brown out in round 1, dropping Sammy Wright, the Benny Jacobs revolving door, selecting unfit players who become late omissions (not good for preparation for the emergencies)....the balance between selecting based on structures and roles versus form is simply out of kilter. Also think that opposition analysis has been weak. It is not a case of one-size fits all. To beat the Hawks, Port, Adelaide a tight man-on-man game is needed. The corral game simply gets picked apart by precision footy. We can get away with it against the turnover kings of the jungle, the Lions and the Tigers. We will beat Essendon by strangling them with pressure. We can match Freo by a tight defensive game and hard two-way running. We can beat the Pies by matching their tackling intensity. We will beat the Eagles by blocking their delivery into the 50. I just get tired of hearing about "getting back to playing the game on our terms". Game day coaching hasn't been much better with Tippett being left as a lamb to the slaughter in round 1, Harvey being played in the wrong position, Clarkson giving Brad a beating to which Brad humbly rolls over. And the 'not flying the flag' stuff wasn't well thought out.

The biggest positive of the season has been Goldy and the form of several 'depth' players. Goldy has been a match winner. Sammy Wright, Robbie Tarrant, and arguably, Ben Jacobs, have carried our defense. Benny Brown has been our dominant forward. Robbie Nahas has shown up many others with his intensity. And Mason Wood has looked right at home.

All in all I think it's a case of 'time to try and get positive, things might not be as bad as they seem'....'but then again they might be'....Essendon, Freo, Collingwood, and West Coast will help sort things out. 6 & 4 after round 10 would be positive.

Last edited:

Lol was a cracker hey.

Imagine what we'd look like last Sat with no higgins and Boomer. a s**t show that's how. 6 years in and the ball movement around the ground is woeful under any sort of pressure.

I was one of the only vocal doubters in the offseason about us potentially falling off a cliff post retirements. Nothing I've seen so far does anything to suggest otherwise.

we will eventually lose a gun to free agency too. But likely receive pick 17 for compo in a bumper draft.

Unlike doggies and saints, who have just netted some decent picks and will continue to do so, we won't be that s**t. We will remain competitive with the guys we have, competitive, but never dominant, but never totally s**t. ...neither here nor there really. ...

I'm taking the piss, but in all honesty, if old mate nostradamous wrote that between 2015 and 2025 the nmfc will have neither flag nor top 3 draft pick, would anyone bet their house against it?

Last edited:
Agreed once again. Nice to see the players that have stepped up, for instance Wright, but there's a lot that need to join him. Still I would've taken 50/50 at this point, so hopefully the skill level & decision making can improve.

50/50 is not good given the circumstances though, if we had beaten the teams we had lost to then the Crows would be a team travelling at 3-3 while Hawks and Port would be travelling at 2-4. We have missed a golden opportunity to be well entrenched in the top 2, like Fremantle, and set ourselves up for a home final and double chance.

But no, we are 3-3 cruising in 9th position in the Brad Scott mediocre position.

It is disappointing because we should have taken that next step after last year, that top 2 was within our grasp but we haven't come out and shown we are a top 4 contender. Only people that are content being mediocre should be happy with how we are going.

My glass is less full than in previous years, due in part to rising expectations and the age and experience profile of the team. I have 'lost all hope' of us being genuine contender - that is, I don't subscribe to the 'make top four and anything is possible' idea, but I do hate the polarising that goes on which puts you in one camp or the other. It's irritating.

I expected to see the belief gained from last years finals experience and another year of maturity translate into more consistency and a greater capacity to perform in high pressure situations which hasn't turned out to be the case. I'm now doubtful it will with this group, or with this coach and I've got a long record of supporting Brad and being a "glass half full" guy. I don't see the steel and/or mongrel needed. edit: or leadership.

Yes, you'll take winning ugly. Yes, there is potentially more upside to the team when injured players get back and when we find our groove. Yes, the finals are a different scenario, but I don't fancy taking on the likes of Freo or Sydney or Port away in a final. The only serious Melbourne contender are the Hawks and unless we're at home, I fear any finals campaign will be fruitless other than to say we made finals and perhaps won one (or two if we're lucky).

I'm also not enjoying the way we're playing, regardless of ladder and prospects. It's not just ugly it's unskilled and dumb.
Agree with all of this.

FWIW, the Squiggle basically has us treading water so far this season, just at the front of the pack chasing the top 5 (and I don't really belive WCE belong in the breakaway group; their squiggle is distorted by a couple of low scores against). All things considered tolerable, with injuries, a horror against Adelaide and integrating a couple of recruits into important roles. There's upside to come.

Hardly a joy to watch so far tho.

50/50 is not good given the circumstances though, if we had beaten the teams we had lost to then the Crows would be a team travelling at 3-3 while Hawks and Port would be travelling at 2-4. We have missed a golden opportunity to be well entrenched in the top 2, like Fremantle, and set ourselves up for a home final and double chance.

But no, we are 3-3 cruising in 9th position in the Brad Scott mediocre position.

It is disappointing because we should have taken that next step after last year, that top 2 was within our grasp but we haven't come out and shown we are a top 4 contender. Only people that are content being mediocre should be happy with how we are going.

get a grip man
top 2 is possible if we have our top 22 all playing 100%
absolutely every player at their best

they play finals in Sept

Jeez Taz, normally I enjoy your posts, but why the overwhelming negativity ? Where were Sydney at the same stage last year ? Pretty sure they were 3 from 6 with an easier draw than we've had and they finished top of the ladder
Its only 6 rounds in. We've had lots of injuries, and crap preseasons in a number of players. Lots of upside there. Nothing like a win to kick start things & who cares how the win happens

get a grip man
top 2 is possible if we have our top 22 all playing 100%
absolutely every player at their best

they play finals in Sept

Nobody has their top 22 always available playing 100%, ever.

Having our top 22 available wouldn't matter given we have numerous top 22 players playing ordinary football.

Our standard is not good enough. You are just happy to make up the numbers come finals, I want to see us win a flag. I am never going to get people who are happy with mediocre to agree with me.

Jeez Taz, normally I enjoy your posts, but why the overwhelming negativity ? Where were Sydney at the same stage last year ? Pretty sure they were 3 from 6 with an easier draw than we've had and they finished top of the ladder
Its only 6 rounds in. We've had lots of injuries, and crap preseasons in a number of players. Lots of upside there. Nothing like a win to kick start things & who cares how the win happens

Why overwhelmingly negative? Because we are playing like complete garbage.

We are not Sydney. Sydney have recently won flags, they are proven performers.

People need to stop using injuries as an excuse, players out injured does not explain why our best 22 players who are not injured can't execute the basic skills properly. Our four core midfielders which include our captain, vice captain, 2014 B&F winner and leader managed less than 3 effective kicks each and an average of 16 disposals against a team that wouldn't have beaten anyone on the weekend.

We are so far off it isn't funny, people who are pencilling in wins against teams like Dogs, Saints, Melbourne, etc the way we are going are delusional, if we bring this s**t week in and week out we are no certainties in any game. Our ball movement and system is worse than teams that are tanking for picks, are people watching games we are playing or are you guys just following radio broadcasts?

Well this thread has gone south hasn't it.

Would someone please mail me a razor (hard work with an electric razor) so I can rectify the situation?

485181429-man-slitting-his-wrist-with-a-razor-gettyimages.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the next 6 games will tell us all we need to know regarding our chances come September.

We have had a tough draw to this point. and to be 3-3 is not the end of the world. We are starting to get players back, but overall its our midfield that is really letting us down, which doesn't make much sense given Goldy's work.

Freo
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
GWS

Before the bye. At absolute worst we would want to be 7-5, but really should expect to be 8-4 if we are going to be worthy of a place in the 8.

Our second half of the season is much much easier than the first half. Just need to tick wins off now when we aren't playing well and hope we can start to put it together in the second half of the season.

Well this thread has gone south hasn't it.

Would someone please mail me a razor (hard work with an electric razor) so I can rectify the situation?

485181429-man-slitting-his-wrist-with-a-razor-gettyimages.jpg
Personally I find it telling that people who have backed the Scott era, some veteran posters, who historically post with a balanced oulook, have begun to voice some concerns as to our prognosis.

I know people like to paint either a black or white position on here, but generally I think most supporters live in the grey. Not vehemently negative, not fanatically positive.

Anybody who fails to acknowledge both good as well as the bad probably aren't worth listening to.

Personally I find it telling that people who have backed the Scott era, some veteran posters, who historically post with a balanced oulook, have begun to voice some concerns as to our prognosis.

I know people like to paint either a black or white position on here, but generally I think most supporters live in the grey. Not vehemently negative, not fanatically positive.

Anybody who fails to acknowledge both good as well as the bad probably aren't worth listening to.

latest

I think the next 6 games will tell us all we need to know regarding our chances come September.

We have had a tough draw to this point. and to be 3-3 is not the end of the world. We are starting to get players back, but overall its our midfield that is really letting us down, which doesn't make much sense given Goldy's work.

Freo
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
GWS

Before the bye. At absolute worst we would want to be 7-5, but really should expect to be 8-4 if we are going to be worthy of a place in the 8.

Our second half of the season is much much easier than the first half. Just need to tick wins off now when we aren't playing well and hope we can start to put it together in the second half of the season.

This is the rest of the draw:

Essendon
Freo
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
GWS
------------------------ Bye
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Very very few gimmes in that, obviously a case could be made for a big run after the bye leading into Fremantle, but the damage may already be done by that stage.

Really think we are looking at 6-6 or worse going into the bye in current form, I'd mark down Sydney/Fremantle as losses in current form given our inability to execute against pressure sides; Essendon, Collingwood, West Coast and GWS are genuine 50-50 games taking into account both sides form this season. We have the potential to beat all of those 4, but my head tells me we are dropping at least 1 of them.

If we are 6-6 or worse, we pretty much need a 6 or 7 games winning streak after the bye to make finals, I think in current form top 4 is a pipe dream.

And there it is from Mr. Blonde, a good balanced post bringing back some sanity. Thank goodness.

Much much better than one of Tas's typically negative posts. Has Tas ever posted anything remotely positive? The (North Melbourne) world is indeed a very dark dark place it seems when viewed through Tas's eyes.

To be fair Horace there was little to get excited about in terms of the quality of footy played on Sat. It was a low standard game albeit still had it's moments where we looked ok - especially the third quarter.

I think supporters have every right to be concerned about how we are playing. Our midfield would have to be close to worst in comp at the moment, important players are terribly out of form.

Our backline has been mostly solid despite the ball constantly coming in hence the high against score for year, and the fwds have shared their load well, to enable us to win a few games despite being way off our best football.

Essendon
Freo
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
GWS
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Very very few gimmes in that, obviously a case could be made for a big run after the bye leading into Fremantle, but the damage may already be done by that stage.

Really think we are looking at 6-6 or worse going into the bye in current form, I'd mark down Sydney/Fremantle as losses in current form given our inability to execute against pressure sides; Essendon, Collingwood, West Coast and GWS are genuine 50-50 games taking into account both sides form this season. We have the potential to beat all of those 4, but my head tells me we are dropping at least 1 of them.

If we are 6-6 or worse, we pretty much need a 6 or 7 games winning streak after the bye to make finals, I think in current form top 4 is a pipe dream.

That is the problem Pykie, we are travelling as a borderline finalist who are looking to pick games up against soft opponents, how do teams that track like that generally go in finals football?

Essendon
Freo
Collingwood
West Coast
Sydney
GWS
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
Brisbane
Carlton
Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Yep lets say we win 4/6 before the bye and i'm being generous on current form..

Then we can only afford to lose 1 or 2 games tops out of the last ten to have the 15/16 wins u need to make the top four so going on that ur right if we don't we can kiss the top four goodbye..

Everyone knows u need top four to have a chance and if we want to improve on last year lets face it 5-8 isn't going to cut it..
But i haven't given up it is still possible and there is alot of improvement left in our club..
People say u don't win Flags in May also true but if the team doesn't pull their finger out winning 8 out of the last ten will be what we are left with.
For those that think we are a 5/6 club thats fine but i believe we are bettet than that and want us to improve on last year so anything less then a Grand Final is a failure for me actually winning the big one is what i expect but ill keep it real....

Guys, Phillyroo has already confirmed we are only a game off second place, so not sure why the negativity.

It's round 6.

my thoughts

round ------ Expectation ----Result---------- Feeling
1 ----------- Loss-------------Loss------------Concerned about the lack of effort - wanted a senior player dropped
2 ----------- win--------------win------ Lacked fluencey moving the ball forward, could have given a 100+ point thrashing
3 ------------win--------------Loss------ yeah look disappointed we couldn't quite but pressure was good
4 ------------ win ------------Win------- Good because of venue, bad because Geelong are a shadow of what they were
5------------Loss -------------Loss----- - We rolled at the end which was disappointing considering the use of the match as a tribute
6 - ---------win -------------win---------- untidy but about what i expected.

We are a 50/50 win behind where I thought we would be.

I don't think we have the balance quite right yet. Was the third quarter on the weekend our best quarter of the year? We have a heap of senior players who are not where they will get to through the year.

THe most disappointing thing for me this year was round one as my expecation that we would have put non competative efforts behind us was brought back to earth with a thud.

Hopefully the ugly win in Tassie spurs a decent win this week and some ok form into the Freo match, which if I was going to call I would say we lose given the teams relative form, but things change.

I'm not buying the year being as gloomy as I first thought it would be after round 1. It has yet to have me believe that we are where I thought we could be in the pre season.

I think we are a one week at a time prospect at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back