Time to get positive. Things aren't as bad as they seem.

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair Horace there was little to get excited about in terms of the quality of footy played on Sat. It was a low standard game albeit still had it's moments where we looked ok - especially the third quarter.

I think supporters have every right to be concerned about how we are playing. Our midfield would have to be close to worst in comp at the moment, important players are terribly out of form.

Our backline has been mostly solid despite the ball constantly coming in hence the high against score for year, and the fwds have shared their load well, to enable us to win a few games despite being way off our best football.

We won. it is round 6. We are without Wells and Dal Santo. Levi has left. We are bound to be a little below where we were at the end of last year when we were playing some pretty handy football.

I do not see the midfield in the same light as others do. They are in better form than many here are saying, especially Cunnington, who had 16 possessions, 13 of which were contested, more than anyone else on the ground. Yes his overall stats are down, but guess what, as reigning B&F, he is going to be the first targeted by any opposition.

We are ninth on the ladder. Other teams who have the same win/loss ratio as us are Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, *essendon and Geelong, all with pretty handy credentials. There is a long way to go this year. When all teams have played 16 games rather than 6, then we will have a far better idea of where we are at.

Nothing wrong with being concerned but there are posters here who post negative stuff all the time, yes all of the time, and I for one am sick of reading that rubbish. Imagine having to live with those sorts of people. Would be bloody well impossible. They adopt holier than thou negative attitudes all of the time and for what benefit? None whatsoever because, guess what again, what we say here counts for SFA as far as the club's coaching people are concerned.

Last edited:
Lol was a cracker hey.

Imagine what we'd look like last Sat with no higgins and Boomer. a s**t show that's how. 6 years in and the ball movement around the ground is woeful under any sort of pressure.

I was one of the only vocal doubters in the offseason about us potentially falling off a cliff post retirements. Nothing I've seen so far does anything to suggest otherwise.

we will eventually lose a gun to free agency too. But likely receive pick 17 for compo in a bumper draft.

Unlike doggies and saints, who have just netted some decent picks and will continue to do so, we won't be that s**t. We will remain competitive with the guys we have, competitive, but never dominant, but never totally s**t. ...neither here nor there really. ...

I'm taking the piss, but in all honesty, if old mate nostradamous wrote that between 2015 and 2025 the nmfc will have neither flag nor top 3 draft pick, would anyone bet their house against it?

I don't think post retirement is the issue, when you wind the clock back to 2012, which I think was the pinnacle year of Brad Scott's era despite the season being a fizzer in the end, it was the last year before JB talked to him about his coaching and he went on to his career saving negative football campaign.

In 2012 we were feared by opponents, sure, we were brittle in defense and really nothing has changed other than us throwing back more numbers to try and clog some space but we were brutal on the rebound and we had players suited for that style of play and when we were on it was exciting to watch. We were able to move the ball quickly, cleanly and with purpose. We had McMahon playing back then who was a very reliable clearance kick (we now kick to a contest and hope it turns into a stoppage), we had players prepared to take the game on which creates space and creates holes in zones and presses.

Our midfield back then was Swallow, who averaged 25.8 disposals and amassed 165 tackles and 151 clearances who was the only pure extractor, Ziebell played 17 games but floated between forward and midfield while Cunnington played more shut down roles against opposition inside mids, he racked up 107 tackles and 80 clearances.

Our barometer were guys like Adams who played on the inside, while he wasn't a pure inside or outside player, he ran and carried the ball, when he won a clearance it usually wasn't a s**t clearance. Our midfield were invested in how we played, they ran and carried the ball even though we had stodge in the side like Anthony and Gibson, the style suited the strengths of these players.

Yet, we also had the X-factor. Harper couldn't find the footy in 2012 either, only averaged 8.8 disposals but kicked 25 goals and had 9 goal assists, it suited Bastinac floating games who was also dangerous up forward, he averaged 22.7 disposals, kicked 12 goals and had 17 goal assists. Wells was super dangerous, averaged 21.9 disposals, kicked 14 goals and had 21 assists. Mullett came in and played 6 games and showed that spark and run off half back, MacMillan showed promise in the middle, while he only averaged 15.6 disposals kicked 11 goals and 5 assists. Boomer played predominantly as a midfielder, averaged 22.6 disposals, kicked 35 goals and had 18 assists. Campbell was also dangerous for us, showed some spark and while he only played around 50% of game time in 15 games kicked 9 goals and had 10 assists.

We had good goal kicking spread, we had a lot of goal assists, we were third in the AFL for scoring. Sure, we needed to improve our defensive side of the game and the two-way running a lot more and we had to deal better with the pressure of the top teams at the time but we have changed the game radically and it doesn't really suit our players.

Adams is now cactus, as is Wells. Mullett has been laid out for the better part of two seasons now. We pissed off Campbell, Harper has had his development completely ****ed, we have had Ziebell gone on a Jenny Craig diet and he looks physically worse than he was when he came to the club and is KOing himself because he lacks the physical power he once had. He could be an awesome match winning half-forward mid but is now Scotted into a mediocre midfielder. Bastinac, MacMillan, Gibson and co aren't the physical type players who play the Swans/Freo style in the middle and Swallow has been severely hamstrung... Achillestrung? Thankfully he is playing better than last year but will he get back to his best? The only highlight of the negative s**t has been Cunnington thrived in that environment when he was the extractor, he has progressively looked lost ever since Swallow has returned.

We are three seasons on and all the kids have largely had 50+ more games of experience and have gone from 20-50 game players to around 100 game players and we have gone nowhere individually or as a club. This style we are playing doesn't suit our players and we aren't going to win Jack s**t playing slow, negative football with guys who can't tackle or do 1%ers. We are just going to maybe bowl out a team or two worse than us and then get bundled out of the finals by a real contested team.

I don't think post retirement is the issue, when you wind the clock back to 2012, which I think was the pinnacle year of Brad Scott's era despite the season being a fizzer in the end, it was the last year before JB talked to him about his coaching and he went on to his career saving negative football campaign.

In 2012 we were feared by opponents, sure, we were brittle in defense and really nothing has changed other than us throwing back more numbers to try and clog some space but we were brutal on the rebound and we had players suited for that style of play and when we were on it was exciting to watch. We were able to move the ball quickly, cleanly and with purpose. We had McMahon playing back then who was a very reliable clearance kick (we now kick to a contest and hope it turns into a stoppage), we had players prepared to take the game on which creates space and creates holes in zones and presses.

Our midfield back then was Swallow, who averaged 25.8 disposals and amassed 165 tackles and 151 clearances who was the only pure extractor, Ziebell played 17 games but floated between forward and midfield while Cunnington played more shut down roles against opposition inside mids, he racked up 107 tackles and 80 clearances.

Our barometer were guys like Adams who played on the inside, while he wasn't a pure inside or outside player, he ran and carried the ball, when he won a clearance it usually wasn't a s**t clearance. Our midfield were invested in how we played, they ran and carried the ball even though we had stodge in the side like Anthony and Gibson, the style suited the strengths of these players.

Yet, we also had the X-factor. Harper couldn't find the footy in 2012 either, only averaged 8.8 disposals but kicked 25 goals and had 9 goal assists, it suited Bastinac floating games who was also dangerous up forward, he averaged 22.7 disposals, kicked 12 goals and had 17 goal assists. Wells was super dangerous, averaged 21.9 disposals, kicked 14 goals and had 21 assists. Mullett came in and played 6 games and showed that spark and run off half back, MacMillan showed promise in the middle, while he only averaged 15.6 disposals kicked 11 goals and 5 assists. Boomer played predominantly as a midfielder, averaged 22.6 disposals, kicked 35 goals and had 18 assists. Campbell was also dangerous for us, showed some spark and while he only played around 50% of game time in 15 games kicked 9 goals and had 10 assists.

We had good goal kicking spread, we had a lot of goal assists, we were third in the AFL for scoring. Sure, we needed to improve our defensive side of the game and the two-way running a lot more and we had to deal better with the pressure of the top teams at the time but we have changed the game radically and it doesn't really suit our players.

Adams is now cactus, as is Wells. Mullett has been laid out for the better part of two seasons now. We pissed off Campbell, Harper has had his development completely stuffed, we have had Ziebell gone on a Jenny Craig diet and he looks physically worse than he was when he came to the club and is KOing himself because he lacks the physical power he once had. He could be an awesome match winning half-forward mid but is now Scotted into a mediocre midfielder. Bastinac, MacMillan, Gibson and co aren't the physical type players who play the Swans/Freo style in the middle and Swallow has been severely hamstrung... Achillestrung? Thankfully he is playing better than last year but will he get back to his best? The only highlight of the negative s**t has been Cunnington thrived in that environment when he was the extractor, he has progressively looked lost ever since Swallow has returned.

We are three seasons on and all the kids have largely had 50+ more games of experience and have gone from 20-50 game players to around 100 game players and we have gone nowhere individually or as a club. This style we are playing doesn't suit our players and we aren't going to win Jack s**t playing slow, negative football with guys who can't tackle or do 1%ers. We are just going to maybe bowl out a team or two worse than us and then get bundled out of the finals by a real contested team.

I think teams glued on to the run and gun style pretty quick. The following year teams got up for us and applied more defensive pressure, and we saw moves like Atley getting tagged. Pretty much every team's defensive work has improved tenfold since then, including ours. That run in 2012 was fools good somewhat, we had an extremely good run of games that allowed us to build confidence probably to levels we haven't seen since. Still, we were shown up big time in a final.

The game plan has evolved pretty nicely, we were able to win some games off the back of our defensive work last year and we won 2 finals. Our depth is being exposed at the moment, not the game plan. We sorely miss the composure of Wells and Dal Santo. Moving Harvey back up the ground definitely helped us correct that a bit. Add to that we have some key players out of form. If all goes to plan I'm confident we'll look like a much better side in 10 weeks.

I think teams glued on to the run and gun style pretty quick. The following year teams got up for us and applied more defensive pressure, and we saw moves like Atley getting tagged. Pretty much every team's defensive work has improved tenfold since then, including ours. That run in 2012 was fools good somewhat, we had an extremely good run of games that allowed us to build confidence probably to levels we haven't seen since. Still, we were shown up big time in a final.

The game plan has evolved pretty nicely, we were able to win some games off the back of our defensive work last year and we won 2 finals. Our depth is being exposed at the moment, not the game plan. We sorely miss the composure of Wells and Dal Santo. Moving Harvey back up the ground definitely helped us correct that a bit. Add to that we have some key players out of form. If all goes to plan I'm confident we'll look like a much better side in 10 weeks.

Atley was tagged a lot more from 2013 onwards, but we had changed the way we played from the 2012 pre-season onwards and was indicative of the type of players we moved on in the wake. Atley's problem are his second efforts, he will often stop after dishing the ball off. Mullett surpassed him in 2013 because his second efforts were far superior. Atley's lack of midfield nous is the principal reason why efforts to shut him down have been effective, he allows his opponent to drag him out to parts of the ground he can't get in the game when the opposition move to block him he will dish off and stop and thus stop his run. He just hasn't got the smarts and we haven't had coaches that have the midfield smarts to teach him.

Our game plan is a debacle, we are negative but we don't tackle or put pressure or win one-on-one contests. We are a stoppage heavy team who are incompetent once we win the stoppage, our best form of attack is to give the ball to the opposition and hope we can rebound out of defence. We are complete s**t in the middle. Nothing would make me happier if we were awesome in the middle and I could say we are awesome but lying to myself isn't going to make me feel any better.

Wake up and smell the beans, Wells and Dal Santo were in the round 1 team, Dal had 20 disposals and had zero impact, Wells had 11 and had zero impact, them missing isn't the problem.

Atley was tagged a lot more from 2013 onwards, but we had changed the way we played from the 2012 pre-season onwards and was indicative of the type of players we moved on in the wake. Atley's problem are his second efforts, he will often stop after dishing the ball off. Mullett surpassed him in 2013 because his second efforts were far superior. Atley's lack of midfield nous is the principal reason why efforts to shut him down have been effective, he allows his opponent to drag him out to parts of the ground he can't get in the game when the opposition move to block him he will dish off and stop and thus stop his run. He just hasn't got the smarts and we haven't had coaches that have the midfield smarts to teach him.

Our game plan is a debacle, we are negative but we don't tackle or put pressure or win one-on-one contests. We are a stoppage heavy team who are incompetent once we win the stoppage, our best form of attack is to give the ball to the opposition and hope we can rebound out of defence. We are complete s**t in the middle. Nothing would make me happier if we were awesome in the middle and I could say we are awesome but lying to myself isn't going to make me feel any better.

Wake up and smell the beans, Wells and Dal Santo were in the round 1 team, Dal had 20 disposals and had zero impact, Wells had 11 and had zero impact, them missing isn't the problem.

Round 1 we were complacent and paid for it. Adelaide were primed and we'd spent all pre-season reading our own press. The effort was deplorable across the board. I was disgusted at the time, but I think it's fair to say that wasn't a true account of how we want to play. Wells and Dal Santo aren't ever going to feature heavily if we can't get our hands on the ball. Since then, we've done a pretty good job of winning the ball, despite Ziebell, Swallow and Cunnington etc. not being in the greatest of form. I will agree our use and decision making when we have it has been average, and as such we've been average offensively so far. Wells and Dal Santo and improved form and confidence will change this, we've seen it last year.

Defensively we've been pretty good the last few weeks. Hansen is nearly our most valuable player, his ability to drop into the space and at times intercept and create is massive for us. I think the whole corralling guys on the wing can work if you have a fit Hansen, Tarrant and Thompson ready to intercept and attack. On Atley, I think we should just leave him back where we know he can play. At least attention on him creates space for other guys. Overall we just need to build some form and confidence and the fluidity in the game plan will come.

Last edited:
We won. it is round 6. We are without Wells and Dal Santo. Levi has left. We are bound to be a little below where we were at the end of last year when we were playing some pretty handy football.

I do not see the midfield in the same light as others do. They are in better form than many here are saying, especially Cunnington, who had 16 possessions, 13 of which were contested, more than anyone else on the ground. Yes his overall stats are down, but guess what, as reigning B&F, he is going to be the first targeted by any opposition.

We are ninth on the ladder. Other teams who have the same win/loss ratio as us are Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, *essendon and Geelong, all with pretty handy credentials. There is a long way to go this year. When all teams have played 16 games rather than 6, then we will have a far better idea of where we are at.

Nothing wrong with being concerned but there are posters here who post negative stuff all the time, yes all of the time, and I for one am sick of reading that rubbish. Imagine having to live with those sorts of people. Would be bloody well impossible. They adopt holier than thou negative attitudes all of the time and for what benefit? None whatsoever because, guess what again, what we say here counts for SFA as far as the club's coaching people are concerned.
Nah Hozza clearly you're Content With Mediocrity, and that's everything that's wrong with the club because they all take their cues from BF.

:rolley eyes look:

We had no Hansen for the first 5 rounds... he was crucial to our structures last year hence the reason why we were one of the best defensively in 2014. When he is in his prime, our defence is hard to crack. I thought we looked much better with him in the side against Richmond. Thompson looked MUCH more confident on Saturday, didn't hesitate to take the game on knowing he had Spud, Lmac, Tarrant AND Hansen to help out. Hansen can also start some of our counter attacks because don't forget that he is a good kick. Our defence is balanced enough to take *Essendon since we are very tall down back. I wonder why our contested marking was so low... we had one of our best 1v1 out! I'm going to remain optimistic.

We aren't playing great footy, but I've seen a lot of negativity on this board. Time to breed some positivity.

We are currently sitting 9th on the ladder, one game outside of the top four. Our percentage isn't great, but here's why that isn't a big problem.

We've played 3 out of the top 5 teams of 2014 in the first five rounds. We're 3-3 and now the draw starts to open up. Sorry but some of these teams that are currently getting scalps against teams are going to fall away by the time to we get to play them, Bulldogs, GWS etc. therefore percentage boosters!

I guess the beauty in that is, other than the crows, who are actually "OK" we haven't had a team beat us that shouldn't have in theory.

Obviously we could have beat Port and we'd be in an even better position, but I'm ever the optimist and for a season that has been underwhelming thus far, we're only 1 game outside the top four.

I'll take that.
GWS, WB and StK = % Boosters???? I'll take a win against these sides. I guarantee we won't beat all 3.

C'mon Horace. I for one am gutted we wont win the May premiership..

Actually well written stuff and I agree with all of it. With age comes wisdom !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 we were complacent and paid for it. Adelaide were primed and we'd spent all pre-season reading our own press. The effort was deplorable across the board. I was disgusted at the time, but I think it's fair to say that wasn't a true account of how we want to play. Wells and Dal Santo aren't ever going to feature heavily if we can't get our hands on the ball. Since then, we've done a pretty good job of winning the ball, despite Ziebell, Swallow and Cunnington etc. not being in the greatest of form. I will agree our use and decision making when we have it has been average, and as such we've been average offensively so far. Wells and Dal Santo and improved form and confidence will change this, we've seen it last year.

Defensively we've been pretty good the last few weeks. Hansen is nearly our most valuable player, his ability to drop into the space and at times intercept and create is massive for us. I think the whole corralling guys on the wing can work if you have a fit Hansen, Tarrant and Thompson ready to intercept and attack. On Atley, I think we should just leave him back where we know he can play. At least attention on him creates space for other guys. Overall we just need to build some form and confidence and the fluidity in the game plan will come.

Defensively we were pretty good? Hansen was out-bodied by Morris. I think it is indicative of our one-vs-one competitiveness. Teams that can hit targets and push their spare player(s) into the middle kill us. Teams with s**t skills who turn it over when not under pressure we can beat. The teams we have beaten (Brisbane, Richmond and Geelong) were woeful with the ball.

The problem is even if we improve in the second half, our inability to play to a decent enough standard in the first half of seasons means we are a borderline finalist and a borderline finalist is making up the numbers.

It is disappointing because Cunnington was in great form last year, Ziebell was feared as a half-forward, he has dropped a lot of weight and lost a lot of his physical power and is KOing himself and he isn't a better midfielder because of it. Cunnington is playing like a dog again with all three see-ball-get-ball mids in there at the same time. Our player development is poor, we are not developing players well like Ziebell, Harper, etc. We don't play to the strengths of the players and our game plan doesn't utilise the strengths of the team.

We are just not playing like a smart football club, you need to be smart to have success. We have heaps of talent on our list but we are wasting it.

Atley should have been a midfielder, we should have had a midfield coach who knows what he is doing showing Atley where he should be at contests and what he should be doing, we are not talking about rocket science, even if he observed the way Gibson played and talked to him about what his thought process is at stoppages and each scenario you could teach a monkey how you need to position to receive the ball. You know, standing flat-footed 5m from the extractor isn't going to be a recipe for success.

To win a flag you have to do a lot of the little things well and it is just disturbing to see us still in rookie mode, we make the same mistakes and players have the same flaws since the day Brad walked into the club. Players have got better with maturity and experience but we haven't fixed the major flaws in the game of most of our recruits. There are too many other teams out there fixing the flaws in their players. We aren't doing enough to be the best, not this season, not any time soon.

Writing round one off as complacency is just putting fingers in ears and closing eyes. We got torched by a side who put extreme pressure around the contest, spread hard and quickly and used the ball well. Which is what often happens whenever teams do that to us, and is exactly what elite teams do.

When we are not winning clearances or controlling the footy, we are absolutely ripe for the picking as we are simply not good enough defensively. And as soon as the opposition puts a good forward press on, we are a walking turnover.

As a plus, we are very dangerous when we get a roll on, but I fear that hides a lot of flaws (ie - the Port game, where they were better for 70% of it and really should have put us away).

Defensively we were pretty good? Hansen was out-bodied by Morris. I think it is indicative of our one-vs-one competitiveness. Teams that can hit targets and push their spare player(s) into the middle kill us. Teams with s**t skills who turn it over when not under pressure we can beat. The teams we have beaten (Brisbane, Richmond and Geelong) were woeful with the ball.

The problem is even if we improve in the second half, our inability to play to a decent enough standard in the first half of seasons means we are a borderline finalist and a borderline finalist is making up the numbers.

It is disappointing because Cunnington was in great form last year, Ziebell was feared as a half-forward, he has dropped a lot of weight and lost a lot of his physical power and is KOing himself and he isn't a better midfielder because of it. Cunnington is playing like a dog again with all three see-ball-get-ball mids in there at the same time. Our player development is poor, we are not developing players well like Ziebell, Harper, etc. We don't play to the strengths of the players and our game plan doesn't utilise the strengths of the team.

We are just not playing like a smart football club, you need to be smart to have success. We have heaps of talent on our list but we are wasting it.

Atley should have been a midfielder, we should have had a midfield coach who knows what he is doing showing Atley where he should be at contests and what he should be doing, we are not talking about rocket science, even if he observed the way Gibson played and talked to him about what his thought process is at stoppages and each scenario you could teach a monkey how you need to position to receive the ball. You know, standing flat-footed 5m from the extractor isn't going to be a recipe for success.

To win a flag you have to do a lot of the little things well and it is just disturbing to see us still in rookie mode, we make the same mistakes and players have the same flaws since the day Brad walked into the club. Players have got better with maturity and experience but we haven't fixed the major flaws in the game of most of our recruits. There are too many other teams out there fixing the flaws in their players. We aren't doing enough to be the best, not this season, not any time soon.

disagree about atley ,seems to me to have neither the body strength, or the ball handling skills to be a midfielder at this point
disagree about JZ, lighter better been playing good footy
disagree about cunners, sure makes a few blues, big deal gets the ball whenever he wants to
disagree about team strengths, the big fwds and fast smaller brigade are blending quite well
disagree about developing players, brown wood luke Jacobs all going well

glass half full

Some food for thought

we are 15th for contested possessions

we are 8th for uncontested possessions

we are 9th for marks inside 50

we are 17th for clearances

we are 15th for center clearances

we are 6th for rebound 50's

we are 18th for tackles

we are 16th for one percenters

we are 13th for inside 50's

That is all pretty damming on our mids i would have thought.

Some food for thought

we are 18th for tackles

Oh boy...

Some food for thought

we are 18th for tackles

Pretty bloody damning for the team as a whole...

Its actually ******* embarrassing for a team trying to step up and improve on last season...

Some food for thought

we are 18th for tackles

Thread is ungrounded?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back