Time to land the next big fish

Remove this Banner Ad

Martins contract was front loaded. Lynch's may not be. Happy to be corrected. In the last couple of years we have lost Rance, Grigg, Ellis off the books. future deals with Jack, Cotch, Shedda won't be as costly (if they even decide to go on), and Houli who is on good coin must be close to winding up as well. I don't think it's as bad as you think.
I thought Martin's contract was pretty evenly spread out and besides when it's 1.2mil ish even if you weight it one or the other it's still a fair chunk each year, and Lynch was only on 500 ish on his first year with us so his yearly salary now would be a fair bit. I don't think grigg, ellis or houli would be taking up too much space, and jack cotch and sheds still have a year or so after this don't they?

On the flip side (a positive or negative depending on how you look at it), other than bolton and potentially balta I can't see us getting hit too hard on any re-signings so we shouldn't need to bank too much for that

As some have said, you'd have to think our salary cap would struggle to fit in a Josh Kelly (or Viney, Cripps etc, even if they were gettable).

Bradshaw, maybe? Not sold Crouch would be worth the $. Gets the ball, but not creative or damaging enough to be worth paying $750k+. If North go full rebuild would the entertain a Cunnington trade? And does he have good footy left in him?

Is it worth looking at the value prospects from around the comp? We're possibly beyond the stage of those types, but a bigger inside bull could be the one exception. Charlie Constable? Will Brodie? Or could RCD be just as good, and is already on our list? Ross if he bulked back up and was set purely for an inside ball winning mid role?

I do tend to think with Cotch entering his final years, we need a genuine inside ball winner. Will be interesting to see if the club targets anyone, or backs in the younger guys already on the list.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

As some have said, you'd have to think our salary cap would struggle to fit in a Josh Kelly (or Viney, Cripps etc, even if they were gettable).

Bradshaw, maybe? Not sold Crouch would be worth the $. Gets the ball, but not creative or damaging enough to be worth paying $750k+. If North go full rebuild would the entertain a Cunnington trade? And does he have good footy left in him?

Is it worth looking at the value prospects from around the comp? We're possibly beyond the stage of those types, but a bigger inside bull could be the one exception. Charlie Constable? Will Brodie? Or could RCD be just as good, and is already on our list? Ross if he bulked back up and was set purely for an inside ball winning mid role?

I do tend to think with Cotch entering his final years, we need a genuine inside ball winner. Will be interesting to see if the club targets anyone, or backs in the younger guys already on the list.

I posted in the trade thread that we should go after Cunnington .He is a contested beast the equal of Cotch .Turned 29 in June so has 3 good years left easily .The only problem is he's contracted for 2 more years .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I posted in the trade thread that we should go after Cunnington .He is a contested beast the equal of Cotch .Turned 29 in June so has 3 good years left easily .The only problem is he's contracted for 2 more years .

3 good years... if his back isn't rooted.

Lol, one close loss, playing a young midfield, against the clear ladder leader (with recognised strengths inside the contest) and we need to rebuild the midfield?

Yeah, nah.
I think it's more a case of looking to the future, and recognising that we lack that one bigger inside bull. Especially if you take Cotchin out. I'd imagine it's why we drafted RCD, but we're yet to really see what he's likely to provide at AFL level.

Our midfield showed they are not up to it without Edwards and Cotchin, both in their 30s. Prestia, injury riddled...

Graham, Ross, Pickett all can play cameo roles, but other than Shai Bolton, no one has arrived.

We need, simply need, a contested king in that midfield. We need Shane Tuck ❤❤

Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch, we need to be aggressive and go for this. Simply must. What Port did to us, will be exploited by teams this year, Cotch, Prestia and Edwards will return and support, but we need another 1 or 2 midfielders who are instantly gonna win us the pill.

The way we were smashed around the midfield tbis weekend was a red alarm bell right on our head
see free agency thread

I think it's more a case of looking to the future, and recognising that we lack that one bigger inside bull. Especially if you take Cotchin out. I'd imagine it's why we drafted RCD, but we're yet to really see what he's likely to provide at AFL level.

Didn't we win two premierships lacking the "one bigger inside bull"?

IMO, Port's midfield beat us because they got a strong contribution from more players, not a bigger contribution from one star. Butters was as good as any of them, at 71kg. "The Big Fish" probably wouldn't have won us the game. Even if they did, it's a H&A game. The clubs that rely on The Big Fish generally don't play finals.

So I'll stick with my yeah, nah. It's an over-reaction on the basis of one game and the un-ending fascination BF has with The Big Fish. I'll back our player development to deliver us 3 or 4 good midfielders, rather than cross my fingers for a trade to bring in one great mid.

Didn't we win two premierships lacking the "one bigger inside bull"?

IMO, Port's midfield beat us because they got a strong contribution from more players, not a bigger contribution from one star. Butters was as good as any of them, at 71kg. "The Big Fish" probably wouldn't have won us the game. Even if they did, it's a H&A game. The clubs that rely on The Big Fish generally don't play finals.

So I'll stick with my yeah, nah. It's an over-reaction on the basis of one game and the un-ending fascination BF has with The Big Fish. I'll back our player development to deliver us 3 or 4 good midfielders, rather than cross my fingers for a trade to bring in one great mid.
It's been a concern of mine for a while. Not just a reaction on Saturdays game. It was just exposed even more so with Cotchin out, and our younger, smaller midfield getting smashed in clearances - I'm not talking "big fish", I'm just talking a bigger body. And again, I'm really talking about future proofing the list for a post-Cotchin world... I'd rather his replacement be 190cm and 90kg, rather than 180cm and 80kg.

Rance, Butler and Ellis off the books, we should have some cash to throw at a big fish ? But before we do, lets lock in Vlastuin, Prestia and now Bolton. Absolutely must be a hardened mid as Cotchin and Edwards might have 1-2 seasons left in them as mids ? I'd prefer we move one of the two permanent forward and go after Wines or Brayshaw. I think Cripps and Kelly are beyond our means.

I think you’re marking him to harshly , having a good year . Not sure he’d be motivated to leave in any case but Brayshaw might shake loose

Oliver would burn in a club right Richmond. He's the one i would take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a concern of mine for a while. Not just a reaction on Saturdays game. It was just exposed even more so with Cotchin out, and our younger, smaller midfield getting smashed in clearances - I'm not talking "big fish", I'm just talking a bigger body. And again, I'm really talking about future proofing the list for a post-Cotchin world... I'd rather his replacement be 190cm and 90kg, rather than 180cm and 80kg.

The debate about big midfielders is interesting .None of Ports midfielders on the weekend were bigger t han 187 cm .
We had the biggest midfielder on the ground in Dusty .
Boak ,Wines ,and Rockliff smaller and lighter only Powell Pepper is the same weight as Dusty .

The debate about big midfielders is interesting .None of Ports midfielders on the weekend were bigger t han 187 cm .
We had the biggest midfielder on the ground in Dusty .
Boak ,Wines ,and Rockliff smaller and lighter only Powell Pepper is the same weight as Dusty .

They pantsed our stand in midfield , Lambert 5p , are you kidding me, he should be getting that a Qtr. I’m sure it’s not lost on our coaches that we need to find another mid like we’ve discovered Bolton. Put some time into RCD first then Dow to determine just how far away they are.

Our midfield showed they are not up to it without Edwards and Cotchin, both in their 30s. Prestia, injury riddled...

Graham, Ross, Pickett all can play cameo roles, but other than Shai Bolton, no one has arrived.

We need, simply need, a contested king in that midfield. We need Shane Tuck ❤❤

Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch, we need to be aggressive and go for this. Simply must. What Port did to us, will be exploited by teams this year, Cotch, Prestia and Edwards will return and support, but we need another 1 or 2 midfielders who are instantly gonna win us the pill.

We could definitely do with one or both of Tuck and Jackson still, missed them both since the season's they left.

Wines is just as likely to get half a dozen touches, bugger all clearances and be anonymous as he is to dominate. Crouch is a pretty limited player. Kelly is a great on-baller, but I classify him as more outside than in and under. Viney is getting on, pretty injury prone and not really a 'bull', IMO.

Neale was the perfect fit for us, sad we missed him considering what he went for. Highly doubt we could shake either loose, but Oliver and Dunkley would be good fits in terms of age and style.

On the flip side (a positive or negative depending on how you look at it), other than bolton and potentially balta I can't see us getting hit too hard on any re-signings so we shouldn't need to bank too much for that

Chol will require a significant boost and he's earned it.

Chol will require a significant boost and he's earned it.

Don't get me wrong I'm really excited by chol and he can do some really special things, but I think he'll need a bit higher output consistently before he's after serious coin, his salary would be very low at the moment and I think through his performances he's more guaranteed that he'll get a contract renewal rather than a big pay rise

Don't get me wrong I'm really excited by chol and he can do some really special things, but I think he'll need a bit higher output consistently before he's after serious coin, his salary would be very low at the moment and I think through his performances he's more guaranteed that he'll get a contract renewal rather than a big pay rise

Very low up to a mid-range seems likely, other clubs will be swarming and we need to keep him on-side.

Bolton was a first round selection off memory? And Stack was touted as a top 10 pick talent, but his issues have been well documented. We have two A graders left after Cotchin retires in Prestia and Martin. Have faith brother.
Bolton is exemplary. An absolute marvel and elite talent.

I referred to Ross, Graham and Pickett.

Stack has potential but we can't wait for him to come good, we need to be aggressive and target a need for a contested beast. From all our guys,

Contested midfielders
Cotchin, Prestia, Graham, Ross, Bolton

Contested with silky disposal
Cotchin, Bolton

Outside midfielder
Edwards, Caddy, Ross, Graham, Prestia, Pickett, Bolton

Outside with silky disposal
Edwards, Bolton, Pickett (kicking)

Other
DUSTIN MARTIN

Our contested midfield stock is low, need to beef it up.

Lol, one close loss, playing a young midfield, against the clear ladder leader (with recognised strengths inside the contest) and we need to rebuild the midfield?

Yeah, nah.
Who said to rebuild the midfield?

Quite clearly you read wrong.

We lost the inside 50s 55-24.

We lost the centre clearances 20-5.

Our three midfielders out, two are over 30. Its called planning for the future. Not rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back