Time to land the next big fish

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, one close loss, playing a young midfield, against the clear ladder leader (with recognised strengths inside the contest) and we need to rebuild the midfield?

Yeah, nah.

why would you not improve the best22 if you have the option?

the idea should be to bring in more flags in the current era not worry about 10 years planning, IMHO

richmond only have 7 players contracted long term; https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/richmond.1223137/

lots of options

the idea should be to bring in more flags in the current era not worry about 10 years planning, IMHO
You've got to do both, but we should be leaning towards maximising flags, agree. You get one Dusty every 40 years, if you're lucky.

You've got to do both, but we should be leaning towards maximising flags, agree. You get one Dusty every 40 years, if you're lucky.

precisely,

houli old
edwards old
cotchin 31
astbury 30
dusty 30
grimes 30

lambert 29
pickett 29
lynch 28
prestia 28
?broad 28

strike when the iron is hot

if you have the chance at adding more 'AGraders' to the best 18 i would think about it.

if richmond sucks in 2027/28 so be in. at least there was the 2017-? dynasty and invest in good scouts

1. NicNat
2. Fyfe
3. Toby

:moustache:

Bolton was mid 20s. But seen as a top 20 pick on talent. Just a bit flaky. Pretty good perception by the draft watchers. The club gave him some tough love, but lots of positive development. From here the sky is the limit. If he has learnt the lessons properly he'll continue to improve for at least a fw more years, and maybe we have that A grader.

Stacky did so well last year, and then seems to have gotten over comfortable. I reckon he'll respond well to learning that AFL ain't easy. You can have his talent, and play 2's.

If those 2 develop to their ability we have the basis for a very good midfield right there.
Great call. Any don't forget RCD to come through. hE WOULD'VE PLAYED 20 GAMES AT MOST OHTER CLUBS BY NOW.

precisely,

houli old
edwards old
cotchin 31
astbury 30
dusty 30
grimes 30

lambert 29
pickett 29
lynch 28
prestia 28
?broad 28

if you have the chance at adding more 'AGraders' to the best 18 i would think about it.

if richmond sucks in 2027/28 so be in. at least there was the 2017-? dynasty and invest in good scouts

1. NicNat
2. Fyfe
3. Toby

Exactly what the Hawks did .

The Cats are just about to go over the cliff as well .

History shows you get around 5-6 years at the top if your lucky .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

precisely,

houli old
edwards old
cotchin 31
astbury 30
dusty 30
grimes 30

lambert 29
pickett 29
lynch 28
prestia 28
?broad 28

1. NicNat
2. Fyfe
3. Toby

Yeah but you're dreaming with the names you want to bring in.

precisely,

houli old
edwards old
cotchin 31
astbury 30
dusty 30
grimes 30

lambert 29
pickett 29
lynch 28
prestia 28
?broad 28

1. NicNat
2. Fyfe
3. Toby

Grimes and Astbury both 30+.
Thats enough to convince me that we should be into Moore.

I’ve been against chasing DeGoey in previous posts but you could put an offer in front of both these guys and hope to squeeze one out of Collingwood.

All very good points brought up here about getting that fine balance right between age profile, experience and youth to keep us in the premiership window but one thing to consider is how do we know which of our older guys are the most likely to fall off the cliff the quickest when their bodies start to fail them, who has to be constantly managed. I look at the list and with a heavy heart i would think it's only Cotchy, Bachar and Jack that fall into that category. All 3 are guns and we love em but that's a discussion for Dimma to have with them when the time is right. Rest of our older guys still look pretty durable though at this stage.

He’d need those hammys to stand up first. Not convinced they will ... or he has the zip either. He’s never been that dangerous around the pegs either.
I’ll just hold hope he can play another season in the middle without the pinging
That’s my only concern , fitness , no doubt at all he can play , genuine doubt he can be up for more than 12g a year
Am ok if he lobs a punt rd on our terms , and cgaf if he went to cats either

All very good points brought up here about getting that fine balance right between age profile, experience and youth to keep us in the premiership window but one thing to consider is how do we know which of our older guys are the most likely to fall off the cliff the quickest when their bodies start to fail them, who has to be constantly managed. I look at the list and with a heavy heart i would think it's only Cotchy, Bachar and Jack that fall into that category. All 3 are guns and we love em but that's a discussion for Dimma to have with them when the time is right. Rest of our older guys still look pretty durable though at this stage.
Start of the year I was convinced this was bachars last season, he seemed closer to retirement, but not being able to play much this year might keep him going for one more.
Cotch is hammys are a real concern, has at least one year left him (hopefully) and maybe more if we can fill his position with another big body.
Jack has really hit the wall this year, showed some better signs last few weeks but his leap and any speed he had is pretty much gone, hope I’m wrong but I think this could be his last season (definitely if we win it)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am dead against giving away picks. I don't want to go down the Swans, Hawks, Geelong road of topping up. I want a continual refresh while at the same time keeping an eye out for free talent via Free Agency.

Nobody really comes to mind as far as Free Agents go. The best of them of look to me like Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams and Isaac Smith. Certainly, Smith would be a bit quicker on the wing than Josh Caddy but, really, I'm not too enthused. I thought Nick Haynes was going to be available but he must have re-signed.

Given the emergence of Noah recently, we wouldn't have needed Haynes anyway.

We are better resourced than most clubs, so, in a compromised year (both draft/academy/father-son and virus-wise) we should be better equipped than others to find some good talent.
Issac Smith needs a zimmer frame

Was thinking this morning, Ainsworth at Gold Coast was a Richmond supporter from Morwell, surely he'll be interested in heading back to Melbourne.

Haven't watched much of him, so don't know how he's developing, but might be one to keep an eye on.

Was thinking this morning, Ainsworth at Gold Coast was a Richmond supporter from Morwell, surely he'll be interested in heading back to Melbourne.

Haven't watched much of him, so don't know how he's developing, but might be one to keep an eye on.
He's going okay without setting the world on fire. Playing a high half-forward role.

Think he's pretty happy up there .
His parents moved up there two years ago .

We don’t need one, with Bolton the new Dusty and Rioli junior coming. We have Dow, Dawkins and Ross. Just draft a tall forward like Jack. That should be be the main aim. Strengthen the midfield and defence further also

Better disposal than Treloar yes.

Excellent outside mid, but I think we need to look at inside mids to assist/eventually replace Cotch and Prestia.

Don’t be fooled that Kelly is an outside player, he is a complete midfielder. GWS just don’t need him to go inside with Taranto, Coniglio, Hopper, Ward, De Boar and there host of young inside kids like Caldwell, Hately and Green. None of them expect maybe cogs can damage on the outside like Kelly and therefore they need him (and Whitfield) on the outside more.

At Richmond this year he’d be our number 2 clearance player with 4.1 a game behind Shedda 4.2 a game. No.1 tackles 4.5 to Graham’s 4.23 a game, no.3 cp winner 9.2 vs Cotch 10.3 and dusty 10.2.

He is no brute through the centre like say a Cripps, but he is brilliant in the middle like a Pendlebury and isn’t afraid of the tough stuff.

Plus he is a brilliant runner, would thrive in our system

Kelly is not a finals player .
His record in finals is sh!t .
Good skills but soft when it counts .

you mean he had an awful granny?

QF vs Swans - 24p, 5c, 19uc, 1cl, 5t, 4i50, 4r50 and 1ga.
PF vs dogs - 29p, 9c, 20uc, 5t, 1cl, 6i50, 4r50

QF vs crows - 33p, 6m, 12c, 21uc, 4cl, 7t, 7i50, 1ga, 2b
SF vs WCE - 33p, 4m, 8c, 25uc, 8t, 4cl, 4i50, 1ga
PF vs Tigers - 29p, 10c, 19uc, 4m, 6cl, 8t, 8i50, 1g, 1b

QF vs swans - 7p and got injured, didn’t play the next week

EF vs WB - 22p, 12c, 10uc, 3cl, 2t, 3g, 7i50
SF vs Lions - 27d, 12c, 15uc, 3cl, 2t, 1g, 6i50
PF vs pies - 27d, 13c, 14uc, 5cl, 8t, 6i50, 1ga
GF vs tigers - 16p, 4c, 12uc, 3cl, 6t, 2i50

So one game he got injured and along with his entire team a dud in the GF vs us. Every other game has been top notch.

We would be kissed on the dick to get him. Given our history and his I reckon we’d manage his injuries a bit better too.

We don’t need one, with Bolton the new Dusty and Rioli junior coming. We have Dow, Dawkins and Ross. Just draft a tall forward like Jack. That should be be the main aim. Strengthen the midfield and defence further also

But wouldn't it be nice to get one anyway?

Everyone is improving. It's hard to stay at the top.

Richmond are probably not even on the highest rung this season a touch behind. Geelong, port, wce. ( :( )

If we can tie down balta, vlastuin, Bolton on long term contracts - id be open to a large fish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back