Time to move Gold Coast suns to Tasmania.. Could we? Should we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its crucial it does all you say.

So far its cost an absolute fortune.
The AFL have redistributed the following in the last 10 years
$162 million Giants
$160 million Suns
$152 million Saints
$148 million Lions
$140 million Bulldogs
$133 million Kangaroos
$129 million Demons
$117 million Power
$113 million Tigers
$113 million Blues
$112 million Swans
$109 million Bombers
$107 million Magpies
$104 million Hawks
$103 million Cats
$100 million Dockers
$99 million Crows
$96 million Eagles

For a grand total of nearly $2.2 billion dollars.

And that money comes in a large part from the tv rights the Suns and Giants are directly responsible for. The Suns and Giants contribute nothing to AFL footy...except the financial means for themselves and the other 16 teams to survive via the price of a 9-game tv rights package...

They aren't going anywhere...

'Paying off' ?

Looking at the published financials, that's probably not the term one should use. ;)
GWS are doing incredibly well for a team in an unestablished area. We will have to wait until a post-covid world to truly see the results. Gold Coast are a bit further away as the Gold Coast has typically been a dead centre for sport but the womens participation numbers I believe are the 2nd best in Australia. I could be wrong but I feel like read that somewhere.

Except for the growth in the grassroots and supporter numbers.
Every other team except the GC adds more. But of those higher attended teams, several are continually attacked as liabilities to the comp because apparently those numbers aren't high enough. Additionally, Tasmania would only have to find 25k members to match the Giants, a football mad state of 500k v a state of millions, those wdgaf vastly outnumbering the ones who do (like you, someone who walks the walk, insert thumbs up of humble approval icon here) - which is a number no bigger than Tassie at best. On every criteria here, GWS is a bottom rung placer. However, on the one that they excel in - being half of the Sydney tv market cashcow - noone can touch them as far expansion sides go...

So that's their value - which is still considerable. Grassroots...millions of bucks are spent on NSW football academies and recruiting in a state of 7m...last time I looked though, the Tassie Devils, on a shoe string budget, took these junior stars out the last time they met in the TAC Cup. Sounds like I'm bagging them, but I'm not - I like the way they go about their business in a tough market, one arm tied behind their backs (although they also have AFL minders to provide extra limbs!). But if everyone's honest, GWS is there to bring in bucks via tv rights which is divided amongst clubs and putting them all in the black. If they aren't there, clubs might die. The added bonus is when they play good footy, which happens a lot, and noone can knock them for that. A lot to admire, but their profile as an AFL club is clear...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back