Time to move Gold Coast suns to Tasmania.. Could we? Should we?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm with AIE on this one. The Titans will be around for some time yet.
I hope they stick around too. Having two national sporting teams on the Gold Coast is great for our city. I got a fantastic thrill late last year when I read Jayden Campbell (son of Titans legend Preston) signed with the Titans and was on his way to representing the Gold Coast on the national stage after making his way through the local GC ranks. It's awesome to see professional sport go full circle like that on the Gold Coast.

Having said that, the ownership models are very different between the Suns and Titans so you can't really compare the two fairly.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Now is the time to reassess how we want the league to look in the future.

I, like many fans, have long held the view that it's unsustainable to have nine teams in Melbourne.

We don't know what the economy will look like beyond the pandemic, however when the dust settles, I think we should encourage a Melbourne side to relocate to Tasmania. St.Kilda and North are the obvious contenders.

In the future, someone may relocate to Canberra. I don't think a club is sustainable in the top end in the foreseeable future. It doesn't have the population nor the financial support to suggest viability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

I, like many fans, have long held the view that it's unsustainable to have nine teams in Melbourne.

We don't know what the economy will look like beyond the pandemic, however when the dust settles, I think we should encourage a Melbourne side to relocate to Tasmania. St.Kilda and North are the obvious contenders.

In the future, someone may relocate to Canberra. I don't think a club is sustainable in the top end in the foreseeable future. It doesn't have the population nor the financial support to suggest viability.
Perhaps one Vic team to WA?

We'll start with our own team in Tas, like WA & SA did, If you don't mind.

Then maybe we'll see if we also want an unwanted suburban side as well.;)

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Perhaps one Vic team to WA?

We'll start with our own team in Tas, like WA & SA did, If you don't mind.

Then maybe we'll see if we also want an unwanted suburban side as well.;)
I love Tasmania, but if Tasmanians really think the AFL is about to award a 19th - uneven amount of licenses - license to a small state economy-wise, following a global crisis, then you’re setting yourself up for misery.

Even your Premier changed his rhetoric on this issue last week.

Let’s get real, and surely a relocated club - like what South Melbourne did in 82 - is better than no club at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love Tasmania, but if Tasmanians really think the AFL is about to award a 19th - uneven amount of licenses - license to a small state economy-wise, following a global crisis, then you’re setting yourself up for misery.

Even your Premier changed his rhetoric on this issue last week.

Let’s get real, and surely a relocated club - like what South Melbourne did in 82 - is better than no club at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So we cant support our own club, but we can support someone elses club?

Did you read the Tasteam business case?

Tasmania isn't Sydney, people here often follow AFL clubs already. We are a mature footy state.

Can you see them suddenly supporting some suburban Melbourne team thrust upon them? Really?

Anyway it wont happen. Clubs wont leave their home, nor should they. They should sink or swim in their own puddle, not in ours.

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
With no demand for an afl team in Gold Coast as has been evident from the lack of supporters and horrible performances from the actual club that seem out of touch with the rest if the league could we move them to a place where they would be wanted and rename them, or give the tassie team the option to take any gold Coast players they want, cut the rest and get rid of gold coast and introduce an new tassie side because the culture at the suns is so toxic and awful, and the on field performances so terrible.
Hahahhaahhahhahahah.

Billy ray

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Bump.
Suns are an absolute joke.
Same old same old. Play the first month ok on adrenaline and false hope.
Then go back to rabble and back to reality.

The AFL apologists will repeat the same mantra about 'junior participation rates' but it is all empty words.

They are a sh*t stain and a basket case.

Heading for another bottom 3 finish.
Hehehheheh

thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL

Canberra Kangaroos and the Southern Saints has a nice ring to it. Can’t see it happening though, I think the next stage will be a 20 team comp (whenever that may be)

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Canberra Kangaroos and the Southern Saints has a nice ring to it. Can’t see it happening though, I think the next stage will be a 20 team comp (whenever that may be)
No relocated teams thanks.

Those clubs are part of their own communities. They can sink of swim where they are.

We'll have our own club, otherwise it won't work here or there.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
As of 21.7.20 (& despite a very delayed- & recent- start to GR AF comps.), there were 12,700 AF club jnrs registered to play in club comps. on the GC, Brisbane, & Sunshine Coast. This is higher than 2019, & a new record. This does not include club Auskick players 5 y.o.-8 y.o.; nor school comp. players.

Also on 21.7.20, "With the launch of the Queensland Schools Cup Primary Competition this week, nearly 100 teams have nominated in less than a week".

The South East Queensland jnr comp. covers 3 separate & distinct, widely dispersed regions, so it is not a single jnr. comp.

Regd. snr GR AF nos. are also strong at 9200, but not yet at 2019 levels.

It is universally accepted that having a local, & thus high profile, team in the AFL, with the attendant tribalism, role models, & elite pathways etc., provides a huge & necessary boost for GR AF in particular- & support for the AFL in general. The GCFC had Metricon crowds of 24,000+ when it was very competitive in 2014.

In late 2019 (ie prior to the 11.6.20 new Rights' agreements), AFL executives (including, by implication, R. Goyder) said the 9th game was worth an extra $50m+ pa for the Rights etc.

This would include direct & indirect benefits for the AFL- inc. govt & council funding for stadia & GR AF facilities etc., corporate funding for GCFC & GWS, financial savings for the major boost to NSW/ACT & Qld. regd. GR nos., significant rise in MSM coverage for the AFL in NSW/ACT & Qld. etc.
(The recruitment of K. Hunt alone, in the three days after it was announced, generated national MSM publicity for the AFL which "had a commercial value of $7.5m").

The GCFC is driving strong support for AF, will be on the GC forever, & will be a success.

Also, the GC currently has a population of c. 630,000; & the GC-Tweed Heads area is predicted to have 1.2m in 2050.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom