Time to move Gold Coast suns to Tasmania.. Could we? Should we?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Titans, United, Blaze, Bears, Suns.

Of course location is relevant.

The Gold Coast is a grave yard for professional sports clubs.

Junior participation is irrelevant. The numbers are bullshit. Auskick is seen as free child sitting.

If 'junior participation' numbers actually meant anything then pro Netballers would all be on $2 million a year.

The OP is spot on. Those shooting him down are just echoing the AFL company line. The Suns are a huge basket case and the AFL cant admit it made a huge mistake. This is the mistake of Demetriou who has proven to be a man of terrible judgment and zero integrity.

Of course the AFL is losing money up there.
Lucky the AFL didn't think the same of you lot and just give up eh?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I hate how people equate on field performance with viability off field. How is the location of the Suns relevant to how terrible they are on the field? Would being in Tasmania have prevented Rory Thompson getting an ACL injury? Would each player magically become 10% better living in Tasmania?

I do wonder just how popular the Tassie Suns would be if they had 8 losing seasons in a row. Especially in a market where everyone already has a team.

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Junior participation is irrelevant. The numbers are bullshit. Auskick is seen as free child sitting.

If 'junior participation' numbers actually meant anything then pro Netballers would all be on $2 million a year.

The OP is spot on. Those shooting him down are just echoing the AFL company line. The Suns are a huge basket case and the AFL cant admit it made a huge mistake. This is the mistake of Demetriou who has proven to be a man of terrible judgment and zero integrity.

Well said.

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With no demand for an afl team in Gold Coast as has been evident from the lack of supporters and horrible performances from the actual club that seem out of touch with the rest if the league could we move them to a place where they would be wanted and rename them, or give the tassie team the option to take any gold Coast players they want, cut the rest and get rid of gold coast and introduce an new tassie side because the culture at the suns is so toxic and awful, and the on field performances so terrible.

The thing is that the crowds and profile relative to their actual success is actually pretty good they just have to start winning some bloody games. Living on the coast and traveling to Brisbane each day I get to compare cities and AFL on the coast is much more mainstream than Bronco city. If the suns made finals they would wipe the titans off the map. Also their facilities with the academy post comm games are state of the art

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS

The OP is spot on. Those shooting him down are just echoing the AFL company line. The Suns are a huge basket case and the AFL cant admit it made a huge mistake. This is the mistake of Andrew Demetriou who has proven to be a man of terrible judgment and zero integrity.

Let's use an NBL club (if we used NBL team collapses as a yardstick, then no tier 1 or tier 2 city in Australia except Perth is allowed a professional sporting team) and an A-League club (Clive Palmer's team - not Gold Coast's team. Take note Australia United Party voters) to measure viability of an Australian Rules club. Why do people always think these are relevant comparisons?...

I don't know what point you are trying to make with the Titans. Their issues have more to do with stadium politics than support. They typically get middle of the table average crowds despite being consistently poor performers (they have reached the finals 3 times ever).

The BRISBANE Bears never made finals once while playing on the Gold Coast. How well do you think a brand new NRL start up in Geelong playing under the Melbourne moniker would do?

Last time your club had an extended run of poor performances (more than one year outside the finals), you were averaging less than 10,000 to games. This despite a population in Sydney of over 3.5 million at the time. Gold Coast Suns in their history have NEVER averaged below 10,000 spectators to a game over the season. (For reference - the Titans have also never averaged below 10,000 spectators). This is despite a population of around a sixth of the Sydney figure.

Looking at the Swans now, after 30 years of hard work, you can see the generational dividends it pays off. The Swans are the biggest professional sporting club in Sydney, and have been doing great things for growing the game in terms of both participation and professional awareness. The idea is the same for the Gold Coast. Everyone calling for their head every 2 months in a generational business investment is ridiculous, and highlights the (lack of) foresight of a lot of fans.

The Gold Coast city is expected to grow significantly over the next few decades. By laying the ground work early, the AFL is able to build awareness and generational support as this comes to be. For reference, the Gold Coast is expected to double in size to 2050, and will have roughly the same population as Adelaide today has.

The biggest challenge for the Suns is turning their club into an on-field success. Currently, their average position on the ladder at the end of the season is 16th across their history, with their highest ranking season reaching 12th. If the Suns can at least become competitive, it will likely have a significant impact on their off-field performance.

This is all unrelated to Tasmania, but the Suns and Tasmania having clubs are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why the football community seems to act like the Suns have to die for Tasmania to have a team. The merits of a Tasmanian team in their own right is a separate discussion, and death-riding the Suns should not be seen as being in the best interests of a Tasmanian club. (I would argue the opposite - if the AFL can find success in its current expansion clubs off the field, I think it is far more likely to look at rewarding heartland areas).

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is all unrelated to Tasmania, but the Suns and Tasmania having clubs are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why the football community seems to act like the Suns have to die for Tasmania to have a team. The merits of a Tasmanian team in their own right is a separate discussion

I think everyone noticed a decline in level of play with 2 new teams draining the talent pool, and I fear what adding another team would do to weaken the strength of competition in the afl would do, so I kinda do see them as mutually exclusive. I think it would be negligent for the afl to have a Tasmanian team next season atm while the comp still tries to recover from the hasty decisions of predeccors to add 2 new teams in undesirable locations and draining the talent pool in the process giving us, the viewer , a lesser product. I think some vicco clubs need to go as well. They have too many teams for 1 state to support and reducing teams would increase the quality due to only the best players getting a spot on the list. F1 only has 20 drivers, imagine if they had 100 in every race. Do the other 80 need to be there?

It's about getting the right number of teams in the right locations for it to be a truly national comp, a D to make it fair in terms of how many times everyone plays everyone being equal, and location and travel being the same etc. And the afl don't share that vision clearly. They would rather keep it a semi professional league with almost half the teams in vic and have an uneven, unfair draw every year and give the players half the year to go get smashed overseas and get off their heads.

They're doing a good job of it.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think everyone noticed a decline in level of play with 2 new teams draining the talent pool, and I fear what adding another team would do to weaken the strength of competition in the afl would do, so I kinda do see them as mutually exclusive. I think it would be negligent for the afl to have a Tasmanian team next season atm while the comp still tries to recover from the hasty decisions of predeccors to add 2 new teams in undesirable locations and draining the talent pool in the process giving us, the viewer , a lesser product. I think some vicco clubs need to go as well. They have too many teams for 1 state to support and reducing teams would increase the quality due to only the best players getting a spot on the list. F1 only has 20 drivers, imagine if they had 100 in every race. Do the other 80 need to be there?

It's about getting the right number of teams in the right locations for it to be a truly national comp, a D to make it fair in terms of how many times everyone plays everyone being equal, and location and travel being the same etc. And the afl don't share that vision clearly. They would rather keep it a semi professional league with almost half the teams in vic and have an uneven, unfair draw every year and give the players half the year to go get smashed overseas and get off their heads.

They're doing a good job of it.
:thumbsu: Good rant. Almost unprecedented levels of irrationality.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gold Coast are here to stay, the future growth in revenue will come from NSW and Queensland so it was the logical play expanding our footprint in those markets.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
With no demand for an afl team in Gold Coast as has been evident from the lack of supporters and horrible performances from the actual club that seem out of touch with the rest if the league could we move them to a place where they would be wanted and rename them, or give the tassie team the option to take any gold Coast players they want, cut the rest and get rid of gold coast and introduce an new tassie side because the culture at the suns is so toxic and awful, and the on field performances so terrible.

No.

Whatever the 'outcome', don't try & flog some failed idea on us here in Tasmania. Enough of this rubbish about moving teams. They either stay/succeed or fail/die where they are.

The current AFL 'plan' for VFL/Mariners is a plan for nothing. Its just kicking the can down the road, again, again. Its about recruits for the AFL & spend less on the local community in Tasmania.

The real plan must be for the State Government to say thanks hawks & North, but theirs the front door, dont trip on the welcome mat on the way OUT. All the best for your own future.

We'll sink or swim without you. the next move will then be for the AFL to decide.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No.

Whatever the 'outcome', don't try & flog some failed idea on us here in Tasmania. Enough of this rubbish about moving teams. They either stay/succeed or fail/die where they are.

The current AFL 'plan' for VFL/Mariners is a plan for nothing. Its just kicking the can down the road, again, again. Its about recruits for the AFL & spend less on the local community in Tasmania.

The real plan must be for the State Government to say thanks hawks & North, but theirs the front door, dont trip on the welcome mat on the way OUT. All the best for your own future.

We'll sink or swim without you. the next move will then be for the AFL to decide.

I reckon you're wrong

I would say the Mariners as integrated club with under 18s and VFL is the path to the AFL side - which is being signalled.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Silly comment and one without any vision for the future.

Leave Gold Coast where it is and keeping supporting the venture, it will work out in time.

As for Tasmania, a thorough review of their state leagues, junior leagues & feeder clubs should be done with a view to creating the infrastructure to field an AFL team on its own merit.

Chuck two teams into NZ (one on each island) plus new entities in the Illawarra, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast & Newcastle whilst reducing the number of clubs in Victoria by three (they could relocate to one of the new sites or merge).

22 clubs in total playing a 21-week season (they play each other once per season) with a Final 10 format at the end.

Simples !!!

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon you're wrong

I would say the Mariners as integrated club with under 18s and VFL is the path to the AFL side - which is being signalled.

I hope I am.

Having watched this stuff for over 40 years, Listened & heard all the big wig plans & directions for football here, as well as what was said with the original VFL & marriners & the 2x state leagues & VFL/AFL clubs coming here, I await with baited breath.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the AFL want to continue to bankroll the the Suns good luck to the them, but i think that money could be better spent elsewhere.
Have a nice day

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the Suns can ever get their act together on field (which will take a few more years) they will be fine. They've actually attracted some decent crowds on the (few) occasions they've shown glimpses of competiveness. In addition, Australian Football has boomed at grassroots levels at the GC since their arrival. The latent support is already there - the locals just need a team on the field worthy of its support.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Bump.
Suns are an absolute joke.
Same old same old. Play the first month ok on adrenaline and false hope.
Then go back to rabble and back to reality.

The AFL apologists will repeat the same mantra about 'junior participation rates' but it is all empty words.

They are a s**t stain and a basket case.

Heading for another bottom 3 finish.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Bump.

The AFL apologists will repeat the same mantra about 'junior participation rates' but it is all empty words.

Glad you weren’t around in the early 1990s when the bloods were a s**t stain

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bump.

"Junior participation rates" are not empty words. They describe a tangible thing that even an idiot can grasp

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
"Junior participation rates" are not empty words. They describe a tangible thing that even an idiot can grasp
Hahahah. LOL.

Yeah which is why senior Netballers in this country earn $2 million each and play in front of huge crowds and pull huge TV ratings. You know. Junior participation rates right?

It doesnt mean a thing. Auskick is free child minding. Thats it.

I guess I must be an idiot and you must be way smarter than me.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Glad you weren’t around in the early 1990s when the bloods were a s**t stain

Firstly the Swans were re-located and kept many Sth Melbourne fans. This is simply a fact. There was some cultural and senitimental weight attached to the club.

Second - the Swans were red hot from 1986-89 winning 54 from 88.
From 1996-2001 we won 75 from 132.

So in their first two decades we had periods of sustained success and 3 finals wins.

So yeah good luck with that.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hahahah. LOL.

Yeah which is why senior Netballers in this country earn $2 million each and play in front of huge crowds and pull huge TV ratings. You know. Junior participation rates right?

It doesnt mean a thing. Auskick is free child minding. Thats it.

I guess I must be an idiot and you must be way smarter than me.

Nah, definetly you

You might place no value on them but they are hardly "empty words"

No one is claiming every kid that plays Auskick is a going to go on to play at youth level or even follow the AFL let alone end up playing in the afl. Reality is there is clear evidence that some number of kids do all of those things and have done in the Gold coast zones since their introduction

This thing can and will be measured over decades

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Firstly the Swans were re-located and kept many Sth Melbourne fans. This is simply a fact. There was some cultural and senitimental weight attached to the club.

Second - the Swans were red hot from 1986-89 winning 54 from 88.
From 1996-2001 we won 75 from 132.

So in their first two decades we had periods of sustained success and 3 finals wins.

So yeah good luck with that.
Well we aint going anywhere so keep up with threads like this as it’s a great use of your time

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
So we decide where teams should be based on which teams are winning? Better get rid of the Swans then who have only won a single game this season...

If the Suns are such a joke, maybe this year the swans can get within 4 goals of them.

Back