Time to move Gold Coast suns to Tasmania.. Could we? Should we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
North would be the better option playing out of both Hobart and Launceston.
They dont have much of a future in Melbourne.
Just watch their already poor support in Melbourne drop right off if they keep on losing.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Junior participation numbers on the Gold Coast might suggest different.

BUMP

That old chestnut. Straight out of the AFL PR department.

This idea that kids doing auskick means something for adult professional sports is a joke. The number of kids playing netball is huge and how does that translate in to adult professional support fans? It doesnt. How are TV ratings for netball???

The GC are a basket case.

The location of the ground is ABYSMAL! Miles from the airport and impossible to get to. You have to get some hellish bus. It is a huge mistake.

There is also no culture or geography for a professional sports team along the Gold coast strip.

The AFL has stuffed up big time and they cant admit it.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
BUMP

This idea that kids doing auskick means something for adult professional sports is a joke. The number of kids playing netball is huge and how does that translate in to adult professional support fans? It doesnt. How are TV ratings for netball???

The location of the ground is ABYSMAL! Miles from the airport and impossible to get to. You have to get some hellish bus. It is a huge mistake.

There is also no culture or geography for a professional sports team along the Gold coast strip.

are you joking? Netball attendances and TV ratings are great....

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
are you joking? Netball attendances and TV ratings are great....

What about the Gold coast netball side? Oh thats right. They DONT even have one!

The Suns v GWS match had 35,000 viewers and 10,000 at the ground.

The Suns are a dead set joke and the Gold Coast is a graveyard for pro sports teams.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
What about the Gold coast netball side? Oh thats right. They DONT even have one!

The Suns are a dead set joke and the Gold Coast is a graveyard for pro sports teams.
You are painful..
You realise the gws gc game was at giants stadium?
Surely you have better things to do with your time?

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Seriously wtf are you talking about?

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Comparison of Swans and Suns:

Swans Season 1990 (9 years after relocation):
Sydney population: ~3.5million
Swans ladder position: 13/14 (second last)
Swans average home crowds: 9,275
Swans market penetration: 0.265%

Suns Season 2019 (9 years after addition to the AFL):
Gold Coast population: ~550,000
Suns ladder position: 17/18 (second last)
Suns average home crowds: 12,180
Suns market penetration: 2.21%

Swans Season 2019 (38 years after relocation):
Sydney population: 4.627million
Swans ladder position: 14/18 (5th last)
Swans average home crowds: 30,035
Swans market penetration: 0.648%

Add in Giants home crowd average on top of the Swans and you make it to 0.898% market penetration.

So I assume you are advocating for the folding of the Swans in addition with your removal of the Suns?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
BUMP

Says a guy that wouldnt have a club if the AFL felt the same about his rabble in the 90s.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
BUMP

41D64D44-E3CB-4B4F-BC57-5A3312094DAC.gif

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
BUMP

When you’re club has only just been able to stand on your own two feet after being a financial drain on the comp for 30 odd years so you feel the need to pot the Suns

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
When you’re club has only just been able to stand on your own two feet after being a financial drain on the comp for 30 odd years so you feel the need to pot the Suns

But that just adds to my argument.
If it's hard to get a foothold in a city of 5 million then they have no chance up on the strip which isn't even a city

Also the swans took a whole heap of culture and goodwill from Sth Melbourne.
A stack of cultural identity and a bunch of rusted on fans. That is a fact.

And i'm not potting the suns. Whatever they actually are.
I'm potting the AFL.

I also find it funny that people take this so personally.
Like they have some personal interest in seeing the AFL expand and colonise.
As though it is somehow a reflection of their own identity?

As if the AFL being successful in QLD somehow makes them more of a person.
?

It's just ******* sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Maybe, just maybe, some people want to see some measures put in place now to ensure the talent pool and ability to attract talent for the league they love/are passionate about continues to develop. Like, is it really that hard to put it together?

Your rants add nothing by the way.

Like they have some personal interest in seeing the AFL contract and weaken.

As if the AFL being unsuccessful in QLD somehow makes them more of a person.
?

It's just ******* sad.

See, just as stupid and worthless.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If it's hard to get a foothold in a city of 5 million then they have no chance up on the strip which isn't even a city

I'm potting the AFL.

?

It's just ******* sad.

What's funny is your lack of self awareness

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm potting the AFL.

?

It's just ******* sad.
Only one who seems to be taking it personally is you.

Why should the Gold Coast be allowed to die they may not of got a huge amount of support but those fans don’t deserve to lose their club.

You dismissed the high participation rates in the area but that’s where the support will come from. When these kids grow into adulthood they will have money to spend supporting their side. Be that by becoming members are just casually attending

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
How dare people criticise our great brave crony capitalist leaders Demetriou and McLachlan!!!
It's treason!!!.
Imprison this treacherous traitor for daring to speak against the brave fearless leadership who do no wrong.
Are you drunk 24/7?

If you want a Tassie team by killing off another club so much let the AFL know that you are happy to kill off the swans.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Comparison of Swans and Suns:

Swans Season 1990 (9 years after relocation):
Sydney population: ~3.5million
Swans ladder position: 13/14 (second last)
Swans average home crowds: 9,275
Swans market penetration: 0.265%

Suns Season 2019 (9 years after addition to the AFL):
Gold Coast population: ~550,000
Suns ladder position: 17/18 (second last)
Suns average home crowds: 12,180
Suns market penetration: 2.21%

Swans Season 2019 (38 years after relocation):
Sydney population: 4.627million
Swans ladder position: 14/18 (5th last)
Swans average home crowds: 30,035
Swans market penetration: 0.648%

Add in Giants home crowd average on top of the Swans and you make it to 0.898% market penetration.

So I assume you are advocating for the folding of the Swans in addition with your removal of the Suns?

This is very misleading and flawed. For one, the help the GWS/GCS have got from the AFL in the first 10 years of their life would have been greatly appreciated for the first 10 years of the Sydney Swans life. Only in 92 did the AFL start to actually care and not pawn us off to the nearest guy with cash. A direct comparison is flawed from there.

2: If we are going by market penetrations, the Launny would be sitting at 10% nearly every game. Yay us, cant wait for the Launny Lancers

3: On "market penetration", just calculating city size is deeply flawed. At the women's football world cup recently, the Matildas played in a 25K capacity stadium in a town of 40K. The Green Bay Packers is another example of a "small city, big region". And of course, Launny or Geelong

4: and on top of that, the bigger the city is, the bigger the limitations are for good "penetration". There are limits to stadium capacity; the larger the city, the further one has to travel to get to the stadium and the more options for things to do. Smaller cities will always higher penetration compared to large ones because they are smaller.

I also hate it when people attack the team you support as a direct attack on the discussion point they have made.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
This is very misleading and flawed. For one, the help the GWS/GCS have got from the AFL in the first 10 years of their life would have been greatly appreciated for the first 10 years of the Sydney Swans life. Only in 92 did the AFL start to actually care and not pawn us off to the nearest guy with cash. A direct comparison is flawed from there.

2: If we are going by market penetrations, the Launny would be sitting at 10% nearly every game. Yay us, cant wait for the Launny Lancers

3: On "market penetration", just calculating city size is deeply flawed. At the women's football world cup recently, the Matildas played in a 25K capacity stadium in a town of 40K. The Green Bay Packers is another example of a "small city, big region". And of course, Launny or Geelong

4: and on top of that, the bigger the city is, the bigger the limitations are for good "penetration". There are limits to stadium capacity; the larger the city, the further one has to travel to get to the stadium and the more options for things to do. Smaller cities will always higher penetration compared to large ones because they are smaller.

I also hate it when people attack the team you support as a direct attack on the discussion point they have made.

I don't disagree with anything there really.

My main point was to highlight that the Gold Coast as a city is a lot smaller than Sydney, and the Suns as a team are a lot younger than the Swans. I thought it was obvious with the comment about folding the Swans in the last line (especially after I have alluded to how impressive the work they have done in the Sydney market is earlier this thread), but things get lost in translation online so fair enough.

I don't really know why people seem to expect a consistently bottom placed, 9 year old team in a foreign environment to be drawing absolutely bumper crowds and ratings. Especially when the city they are based in is not extremely large or wealthy right at this moment. It can't rely on the away fans from other local teams to bolster its crowds like the smaller Melbourne clubs can, nor can it rely on the sheer population and wealth of the eastern suburbs of Sydney like the Swans can. Realistically, the main thing it has going for it at this moment in its life is that it is an attractive destination for away fans to travel to (something which shouldn't be underrated, as it's likely to be worth something for maintaining and increasing flight partner sponsorship dollars).

The idea behind the Suns is to get in early on a big growth pocket. It's expected to roughly double in population in 30 years. There are a lot of future players and monies that the AFL would be giving up if it hadn't made a move into this area when the NRL did.

If the AFL can continue working on the ground up with a focus on grassroots in the Gold Coast, then everything will be fine. There are a lot of ex-Victorians up here who are opposed to the Suns, but are likely to encourage their children to play the game. Long term things are pointing in a positive direction. The Suns just need to get competitive on the field, and things will start looking a whole lot better.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
they have no chance up on the strip which isn't even a city

You've never actually lived on the Coast, have you?

Personally, I find it funny that you keep posting about how the Suns should fold. Do you have a personal interest in their demise? Is it a reflection of your identity? Because that would be equally sad.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You've never actually lived on the Coast, have you?

Personally, I find it funny that you keep posting about how the Suns should fold. Do you have a personal interest in their demise? Is it a reflection of your identity? Because that would be equally sad.

Yes I have
I lived in Broadbeach

The club is a compete joke and there is no such place as the 'Gold Coast'.
The 'Gold Coast' is the name of a city council which is a long strip of suburbs. The ground is in a stupid spot. Basically out in some back paddock miles from anywhere near a golf course.

Anyway. Normal programming has resumed. The club is 2nd bottom and has the worst % by a mile.

Another number 1 draft pick coming up I guess. Something for you to look forward to year on year.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't disagree with anything there really.

My main point was to highlight that the Gold Coast as a city is a lot smaller than Sydney, and the Suns as a team are a lot younger than the Swans. I thought it was obvious with the comment about folding the Swans in the last line (especially after I have alluded to how impressive the work they have done in the Sydney market is earlier this thread), but things get lost in translation online so fair enough.

I don't really know why people seem to expect a consistently bottom placed, 9 year old team in a foreign environment to be drawing absolutely bumper crowds and ratings. Especially when the city they are based in is not extremely large or wealthy right at this moment. It can't rely on the away fans from other local teams to bolster its crowds like the smaller Melbourne clubs can, nor can it rely on the sheer population and wealth of the eastern suburbs of Sydney like the Swans can. Realistically, the main thing it has going for it at this moment in its life is that it is an attractive destination for away fans to travel to (something which shouldn't be underrated, as it's likely to be worth something for maintaining and increasing flight partner sponsorship dollars).

The idea behind the Suns is to get in early on a big growth pocket. It's expected to roughly double in population in 30 years. There are a lot of future players and monies that the AFL would be giving up if it hadn't made a move into this area when the NRL did.

If the AFL can continue working on the ground up with a focus on grassroots in the Gold Coast, then everything will be fine. There are a lot of ex-Victorians up here who are opposed to the Suns, but are likely to encourage their children to play the game. Long term things are pointing in a positive direction. The Suns just need to get competitive on the field, and things will start looking a whole lot better.

The gold coast is NOT a city.
FFS.
It is a city council area.
Where is the GPO? Southport? Surfers Paradise? Serious question. Who would know?

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Where is the west coast?
Western (bulldogs).

Stupid arguments
You are stupid.
I am not talking about the 'Name'
I am talking about the geographic and cultural characteristics off the club.
'West Coast' is a Perth club with a Perth base and a huge cultural influence in that city which has been footy mad for 100 years +.

Seriously you are an idiot. You dont actually understand what my argument is - yet you call it stupid.
Thus putting your own stupidity on public display.

And p.s.

West Coast made the finals in Year 2 !
They won an AFL flag in year 5!!!

Are you comparing the Suns to the Eagles?

Seriously who is the idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back