Time to move Gold Coast suns to Tasmania.. Could we? Should we?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol this individual still carrying on.

Obviously joined his band wagon after 2005.
There are tens of thousands of South Melbourne fans who followed the Swans to Sydney,

Add to that, the Swans won 16 games in 1986! Their 5th year! 16 games!

The Suns are a god damn basket case and no amount of wishful thinking and ad hominem attacks on me can change that fact.

Are you some kind of AFL apologist PR person?

Last edited:

Something definitely happen to this guy when he visited the Gold Coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are pleased with progress then? Things are on track?

Yes? Or you are very confident they things will improve dramatically? Based on? A few press releases from AFL HQ?

Not sure what you are 'lol'ing about.

The joke is well and truly on you.
Business class fare

There are tens of thousands of South Melbourne fans who followed the Swans to Sydney,

Add to that the Swans won 16 games in 1986! Their 5th year! 16 games!

The Suns are god damn basket case and no amount of wishful thinking and ad hominem attacks on me can change that fact.

Are you some kind of AFL apologist PR person?
Lol so that's a yes on my statement.

Swans were nothing in Sydney for 20 years. Bankrupt multiple times and a bee's dick away from death or being rebranded (I remember the tele pushing for a Sydney Raiders green and black change in the mid 90's).

Apologist no, but I'm not a child who can't see that not everything happens and cant be classed as a success or failure in only a short time.

If the AFL thought as you did there would be no Swans right now. You should be thankful

Last edited:
So let me get this straight a bloke who supports a perennial struggler of the competition is calling for a team to get cut because of being poor for a 9 year period. The South Melbourne/Sydney Swans went 72 years with out a flag and survived

Seriously if you dont think the AFL is privately very worried about the GC you are seriously gullible.

But but but ... little kids participation rates are through the roof....

FFS.

The AFL would be worried about the on-field progress, sure. But it seems you have a distinctly different impression of what the AFL are looking for out of the northern expansion teams than I would suggest they have.

Your entire viewpoint seems shaped by the fact that they have lacked on-field success. You then compare this to the Swans when they first started up (which I would argue is a bizarre comparison, as the Swans had a team, the GCS were filled with kids). You can argue that not trading for a variety of above average players was mismanagement when compared to the Giants, although it must be considered that the Giants had access to an extremely productive traditional zone to recruit from, while the Suns did not.

However arguing about the viability of a club based on their on-field performance is ridiculous. By that vein, Carlton, Fremantle, and until recently, Richmond also should have been folded - this is despite the fact that they are extremely successful off-field. Other than fan angst/jabbing, that would be a ridiculous suggestion.

The viability of GCS and GWS should not be judged based on their success on the field.

Now, if you were expecting entrenched rugby league supporting regions to immediately drop their club and code allegiances, and immediately start supporting the Suns, then you're crazy. That'd be like throwing a rugby league team in Geelong, and being disappointed they aren't selling the joint out weekly.

The objective, insofar as I can speculate (and I would argue it's a relatively reasonable theory), of these ventures, is to gain market share in foreign (and somewhat hostile) markets (particularly). This is a long term investment, however, for the reason outlined above. Allegiances will change generationally, from hostility in one generation, to awareness, and then possibly acceptance. A similar series of events occurred in Sydney with the Swans.

This in turn rewards the AFL by increasing TV Rights Revenue, as well as producing more AFL quality players in areas accounting for 50% of Australia's population.

The value of each fan that attends a game on the Gold Coast could also be argued to be more valuable than an average fan. The AFL maintains an official airline sponsor. I think it's relatively reasonable to speculate that the Gold Coast attracts a comfortable amount of interstate supporters to their games (weather, likely win at this point etc). This would go towards maximising airline sponsorship deals.

Also, the way you seem to rag on junior participation is bizarre to me. It doesn't take a genius to realise they have been doing good work to get the kids involved on the Coast. If you disagree, take a trip to Metricon on a game day. It's situated with fields all around it, and kids are out kicking on the fields all during the game. It's one of the (few) things I like about it compared to the Gabba.

I also don't understand your arguments about the Gold Coast not being a "city". I assume your argument is that someone from the Gold Coast would say they are from Southport or Surfers or something of the sort. I have lived in Brisbane my whole life, and I have never really run into anyone saying they are from Southport or Surfers rather than the Gold Coast, unless you are actually on the Gold Coast and talking to them (similar to the way I would say where specifically I am from in Brisbane if someone in Brisbane asked me).

I really don't understand why you are so mad about all this. I think expanding the reaches of the games are a good use of surplus funds (would you rather the executives get paid more?). It means down the line, more talent will come through the system from the northern states, and more money to the players which will help in keeping juniors picking AFL over other alternatives. I'm sure you are aware, being from Newcastle, that there are many SOO level NRL players that played in the AFL academies until they ended up choosing NRL in the end (Ponga from the Lions/QLD and Trbojevic from Swans/NSW immediately come to mind). It's also worth mentioning that almost all (literally all I believe) the NBA level basketballers from Australia also played AR, but chose the NBA for obvious reasons.

Although the AFL clubs currently bring in vastly more revenue, and have a comfortably higher salary cap than the NRL, the significantly smaller list size in the NRL, as well as the ability to sign players as juniors, allows players to earn competitive amounts to AFL players from a younger age. If the AFL continues to gain market share in the northern states while maintaining current market share in the south and west, the balance will begin to tip more towards the AFL (would also help if the AFL reduced players on the field/list, but that's a different argument).

You are pleased with progress then? Things are on track?

Yes? Or you are very confident they things will improve dramatically? Based on? A few press releases from AFL HQ?

Not sure what you are 'lol'ing about.

The joke is well and truly on you.
You're a muppet, just stop.

"(would also help if the AFL reduced players on the field/list, but that's a different argument)"

Dropping to 16 players on the field has to happen eventually.
It will be interesting to see if a Tassie team gets up in the next 10 years and if the AFL would the expand to 20 teams or replace the GC with Tassie and keep it at 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back