Time to put a roof over the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous idea, football is an outdoor sport. Closing a roof takes the elements out of it, we're supposed to be excited over wet weather footy.

The only person that would love this idea is Brad Scott and he'll be sacked before it gets built anyway.
Suppose you would be the one sitting out in the open in the wind and rain when everyone else runs for cover.

it's more to do with cricket, surely?

I'd love a roof on top purely for cricket. nothing worse than ******* rain!

One thing I will say is that the acoustics of having a roof over the top would increase the atmosphere ten fold. Many of the big European stadiums are now designed with slanted roofs or roofs covering 75% of the pitch with atmosphere in mind as the crowd noise can no longer escape and all the noise is directed towards the pitch. Imagine a massive, close game with 80-90,000 with a roof over the top, it would be incredible. What I would probably prefer is having it similar to the Nou Camp/Wembley design whereby the roof covers the stands meaning on wet days the players still have to deal with the elements but the fans are still 95% dry, thus keeping that extra factor that can influence a game.

Img0.jpg

new_barcelona_camp_nou_stadium.jpg

Suppose you would be the one sitting out in the open in the wind and rain when everyone else runs for cover.

You get good seats doing that. Everyone else retreats to shelter, I go steal first row seats.

I'd like a clear glass roof.

I like being stuck in the rain as little as the next guy, but this would seem to be a fairly unnecessary splurge.
Have you read this thread? Apparently everyone loves sitting out in the wind and rain and anybody who thinks otherwise is a pussy.

Have you read this thread? Apparently everyone loves sitting out in the wind and rain and anybody who thinks otherwise is a pussy.
I can't believe people would ever exaggerate or talk through their backsides on the internet.

Me when hearing this idea:

4Vvo8_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

But seriously, Aussie Rules is an outdoor sport. If you want to watch a game where you don't get your little toes cold then i suggest you buy a ticket to the NBL...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame about the all the rain interrupting a good test match.

Although if there was a roof over the ground....

Apparently only 0.8mm of rain fell today in Melbourne.

If true I'd suggest a bit of common sense is of greater urgency than a multi-million dollar roof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back