Time to review Fitzpatrick, Demetriou & Anderson's performance

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It's either a national competition or it isn't. I think it's arrogant when Victorian clubs to try to retain inherited advantages whilst pretending to run a national competition. Again, I think it's about integrity. This is not the VFL, and the days when I used to jump on a tram at 11 o'clock on a Saturday morning to take a short ride across town to catch the second half of the reserves, and then enter the quarter by quarter scores from all six games into the Footy Record... long gone.

A couple of years ago I used frequent flyer points to go see my team play an interstate final. There was no reserves game. It's the AFL, not the VFL.

I agree with you completely that aspects of history and culture are well worth preserving and celebrating, but perpetual advantages to Victorians because of Victorian football traditions undermine the fairness of a national competition.

You really are Mr Likeable:thumbsu:

It's funny how most Victorian's (not you, if you are one) bleat that us interstaters have chips on our shoulders or paranoid when we dare mention how Vic Centric the AFL is, then on the other hand will say how perpetual Victorian advantages are because of tradition or because us Johnny Come Lately's joined their comp.

Sure the argument that the Vic clubs are the foundation of the comp are true, but did any Victorian dream that the V (A)FL comp would be what it is today? The sheer money involved? Without the "interstate" teams virtually none of this would have been possible. It would still be a provincial comp spending more money than it earns. AFL House should keep this in mind when constyantly pandering to Victorian interests.

In my view, the ideal is a home state Grand Final at the best available venue. I would personally accept Subiaco, West Lakes or the Gabba, but for a great Grand Final, those states clearly need to add capacity.

Clearly they would have to build completely new stadia.
The fact is there is no current competition for the MCG.
So your "debate" is quite pointless especially if you hadn't noticed rl does exactly the same thing!!!!

At the moment your average AFL season has turned into the latest season of the AFL / FIXtel / CH7's own version of Big Brother. It is more a "reality game show" these days than it is an elite sporting competition.

The day we gave ANY controlling interest to the broadcaster is the day we lost any semblance of credibility in our great game and allowed it to start its journey to becoming the beast it fast becoming. The cart is pulling the horse down the road at a hundred miles an hour at the moment the end result is not looking pretty.

The AFL broadcasting rights are great for revenue and pumping up the gigantic ego that resides at the top of the AFL at the moment but that is it. They are a blight on the games integrity and the game itself.

2 GIGANTIC risk investments all put together for the sake of gaining this $1bn TV rights deal. Make no mistake, the main purpose for GC or GWS to exist is to appeal to the broadcaster at this stage, not to grow the game in the GC or Sydney. Ironically these clubs were built to "appeal" to the TV broadcasters, so that the AFL (AD) could get this great $1bn TV deal done but both are costing the AFL a ton of money, I wonder how long before the payoff has been eclipsed by the cost. The cost of administering this exercise, declining TV ratings, gate takings, competition divide and general dissatisfaction of supporters from watching a watered down and rigged competition that has money instead of its fans as a no1 driver.

The broadcasters have effectively been able to dictate not only who gets a team in this competition but also the AFL season FIXture. The AFL is burdened to release a FIXture that will give it the best chance of achieving an "ideal" financial outcome for AFL and the broadcaster. The only time a club or on field success is of priority is if you reside in one of the expansion zones or an area that the AFL has a vested financial interest in having a successful team, like in Adelaide or Sydney. The AFL currently needs a successful team in both these areas for varying reasons. Sydney needs as much exposure as humanly possible to help bed down GWS and build a market that has stagnated over the last decade and in S.A the AFL are currently propping up both clubs and needs that to stop as soon as possible. The best way to help both of these causes is to have a successful and thriving Football market and on field success is the best way to get that happening sooner rather than later.

Whilst the AFL is under this TV rights arrangement it is forced to run an agenda that does not have the game at its core. And by the game I mean the sport that we all love to watch. A tough, fair and uncompromising sport that is slowly becoming a soft, rigged and extremely compromised game to suit what the broadcasters and the defensive AFL administration want us to see.

Expansion of the comp & the TV deal are separate issues.

The FIXture is certainly beholding to the TV agreement & the AFL administration is 100% responsible for that, but FTA is kicking in a lot less dollars in the current agreement compared to Pay, so that is a changing dynamic & the whole media deal will be different again next time round. Some form of FIX isnt going anywhere soon.

The Tippett and Judd salary debacle has shown the complete lack of professionalism at the top of the AFL. The rules about not instigating but having knowledge of external agreements are clearly farcical and unenforcible. When the players association takes these matters to court, the whole salary cap edifice will collapse. The staggering incompetence of the AFL bosses will no doubt still go unpunished, as they are accountable to nobody.

Bit over the top lachie ...

The very nature of the competition sees the rules being changed to develop the game. e.g the development teams. Not just one set of rules.
Only today Eddie is railing against these rules, claiming to want a level playing field, but he's hardly fair dinkum when his club is the prime beneficiary of the annual FIXture.

The Judd deal was a debacle from day #1, as a West Coast fan I was puzzled by the way the deal was done apparently without West Coast being given the right to put a similar deal. I've always seen the deal as the AFL trying to get Carlton back into finals contention, no more, no less !

The problem for the admin is how you remove the advantage given to one club at the expense of another without creating another inequity.

If the AFL commissioners did favour one club over others in the Judd deal, then their competence as administrators is surely in question. Changing tack when the club is Adelaide, but leaving the decision until after the draft (as if that will make the problem go away) again shows a lack of basic administative competence. Clearly, nobody has sat down and actually planned the AFL structure. It has been cobbled together as a series of makeshifts to deal with perceived problems. The on field rules suffer in the same way. These people do not justify their inflated salaries.

If the AFL commissioners did favour one club over others in the Judd deal, then their competence as administrators is surely in question. Changing tack when the club is Adelaide, but leaving the decision until after the draft (as if that will make the problem go away) again shows a lack of basic administative competence. Clearly, nobody has sat down and actually planned the AFL structure. It has been cobbled together as a series of makeshifts to deal with perceived problems. The on field rules suffer in the same way. These people do not justify their inflated salaries.

clearly having a confession come up right before the draft, along with already running a tanking investigation at the same time, and trying to do it so they dont get sued out of court, is taking the AFL a bit longer than your standard white wash.

clearly having a confession come up right before the draft, along with already running a tanking investigation at the same time, and trying to do it so they dont get sued out of court, is taking the AFL a bit longer than your standard white wash.

Only a whitewash IF equity is an issue, & its not, e.g the FIXture, subsidies paid to clubs, the draft, extra picks ... nah, it just looks like a whitewash !

The AFL is a political organisation. It is obsessed with power & control. Micromanagement of issues as one of events leads to such inconsistencies.
Added to this, If we have a longterm economic downturn with associated loss of TV rights monies, then watch the excrement hit the rotating device.

The AFL is a political organisation. It is obsessed with power & control. Micromanagement of issues as one of events leads to such inconsistencies.
Added to this, If we have a longterm economic downturn with associated loss of TV rights monies, then watch the excrement hit the rotating device.

Wont happen, as long as AFL continues to be the biggest sporting competition in the country they will always get the biggest dollars, if the downturn continues it will be the lower ranked comps that feel the pinch 1st, A-League, S15, NRL, NBL etc etc. The AFL will be the last comp to feel the pinch. Theres now 2 clubs in ever major state (etc tassie) which is more than any other comp as well as memberships and attendance smash all othe games.

The obsession is growing the game nationally whilst protecting Melbourne clubs.

& it wants to control the game but cant always get there, e.g crickets control of the MCG for 6 months when footy pays the bills.

The media rights ongoing is interesting with FTA no longer the money tree it was once, and it diminishing over future years.

The Judd deal was a debacle from day #1, as a West Coast fan I was puzzled by the way the deal was done apparently without West Coast being given the right to put a similar deal. I've always seen the deal as the AFL trying to get Carlton back into finals contention, no more, no less !

The eagles did have the chance and Nigel Satterley put together a nice little package for Judd to stay at teh Eagles but he was always going home to Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The eagles did have the chance and Nigel Satterley put together a nice little package for Judd to stay at teh Eagles but he was always going home to Victoria.

Outside the salary cap bluesta? Got any links & a timeframe.

Remember the Visy deal didnt apply initially.

I'm not having a go at anyone, JUddy remains an all time favourite, he wanted to go home, all parties did their best ... history will reveal all, it may a while yet.

Outside the salary cap bluesta? Got any links & a timeframe.

Remember the Visy deal didnt apply initially.

I'm not having a go at anyone, JUddy remains an all time favourite, he wanted to go home, all parties did their best ... history will reveal all, it may a while yet.

Judd had original 3rd party deals with medibank private and satterley outside of the cap when he was with the eagles. Nigel Satterley had put together 3rd party deal to try and keep him at the Eagles but never really got the chance to present it to Judd as his decision had been made. I was told this by Satterley himself as I know him socially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back