Strategy Time to roll the dice...

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year Hawthorn had 7 first gamers play throughout the year, this was a team who was the best in the comp and had everything to lose.

Most of the Hawthorn "first gamers" had been at the club for two or three years. Some even longer and all were forced.

Look at Sydney and Tom Mitchell. Most people on this board would have ben foaming at the mouth over the time it has taken him to win his spot in the line up.

Young players in good teams benefit from a longer apprenticeship.

Probably not the main reason, but I'm sure it's on the back of our selector's mind.

If we are a Vic team, we should have a decent shot at the flag if we finish top 4 i.e. Even if we don't end up top 2, we may still get home ground if the finals opponent is a Vic team also.

For us, at our current position, we'll want to secure a top 2 and home advantage for the finals.

I assume our selectors will be very conservative when it comes to making big changes. When unsure, I quite sure they'll fall back to the incumbent (Suban, Stucliffe), whose output is at least a know factor, especially if they do a reasonable job at their role.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but the competition is pretty even at the moment and I suspect the selectors are worried about a bad call will cause us to drop one we shouldn't.

Seriously doubt Sutcliffe is going to be looked at now with Johnno out for a couple of months. Duffman still should for Tendai IMO but I doubt we'd go any more than that.

Almost half way through the season and playing the bottom team this week. Is it time to roll the dice and give some of the younger generation a game.

For the majority of the season both Blakely and Weller have been playing good quality footy. Langdon has shown a bit too and A. Pearce if his back has improved would be good cover for Johnson.

I'm not wanting for Ross to take GC as a certain win but better to give some players a go in this game than a top 8 team. They may even show up a few of the fringe 22 players.

The superstitious side of me blames you for the severity of MJs injury :(

When we don't win the flag watch everyone in here regret not playing youth when we had the chance.

The fact is Suban is crap and we may as well get games into his replacements when we're in the position. If anyone here thinks GCS are a danger game, then they have no clue about football. Next week is the easiest game we will play as the GCS are pretty much equal to a WAFL side with injuries and off the field problems.

Also lets not forget a player like Blakely will perform better in actually playing in a team opposed to the crap Peel set up. If he can get 12 disposals thats pretty much Subans contribution. Perhaps he may even last the whole game.
Sorry I have to disagree. WAFL to AFL form is always a hit and miss, we've seen it with so many players that dominate at state level yet barely get a kick in national level. Brining in Blakely for Suban will probably decrease our hardness as well as awareness around the ground. Blakely will need to come in with A graders around him and/or as a sub. I hate seeing what a AFL call up does when dominance at WAFL level. Only Neale and maybe Mzungu have done it consistently.

Sorry I have to disagree. WAFL to AFL form is always a hit and miss, we've seen it with so many players that dominate at state level yet barely get a kick in national level. Brining in Blakely for Suban will probably decrease our hardness as well as awareness around the ground. Blakely will need to come in with A graders around him and/or as a sub. I hate seeing what a AFL call up does when dominance at WAFL level. Only Neale and maybe Mzungu have done it consistently.

But instantly Neale and to a lesser degree Sutty came in and made an impact. It also helped develop them. Blakely and even Weller have the skill set and attributes. I would say that Blakely may be better than Neale at the same stage but we won't find out if Ross doesn't Roll The Dice.

But instantly Neale and to a lesser degree Sutty came in and made an impact. It also helped develop them. Blakely and even Weller have the skill set and attributes. I would say that Blakely may be better than Neale at the same stage but we won't find out if Ross doesn't Roll The Dice.
All that suggests is that the match committee know what they are doing. They promote youth and inject fresh blood into the 22 when appropriate and when players are ready. Clearly, to this point the MC and RTB aren't convinced that they are ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that suggests is that the match committee know what they are doing. They promote youth and inject fresh blood into the 22 when appropriate and when players are ready. Clearly, to this point the MC and RTB aren't convinced that they are ready.

In other words when the experienced players are injured.

The fact is that we're going for a flag and it looks like experience > developing players/effort. Freo are desperate for a flag and willing to let experienced duds take a spot even when they're not fit.

In other words when the experienced players are injured.

The fact is that we're going for a flag and it looks like experience > developing players/effort. Freo are desperate for a flag and willing to let experienced duds take a spot even when they're not fit.

Who is playing when they aren't fit ?

Fit in the sense of talent and effort.

For example last year Suban shouldn't have played most of the season but played because he plays a 'role'.

There is two trains of thought on Suban.There is the one that he is a crab and doesn't deserve his spot and then there is the view he does the job that is asked of him and plays his role in the team.Obviously Ross and the match committee have him in the second scenario and all the bleating by the sack Suban brigade is not going to change the clubs mind on Suban.

There is two trains of thought on Suban.There is the one that he is a crab and doesn't deserve his spot and then there is the view he does the job that is asked of him and plays his role in the team.Obviously Ross and the match committee have him in the second scenario and all the bleating by the sack Suban brigade is not going to change the clubs mind on Suban.

How about option 3.

Suban is a serviceable midfielder with the odd good game thrown in. I can't see him improving much more, what we see is what we got, we know where his limit is. I don't think swapping Suban for Blakely/Weller would be the undoing of our midfield, and who knows it might make it even better. :)

Just to say, generally I am less a fan of like for like replacements, and more a fan of tweeking a game plan around the best players available. We have seen that with Crowley not being replaced by a lock down tagger with good results.

I recently read that A.Pearce was recruited as a key forward. Has he played forward at all for Peel? How'd he go?

With Taberner struggling to hold his marks it might be a good opportunity to play him in defence and give Pearce a go up forward. If it's not working they can always swap.

My main concern with Johnson going down is the inability to rest McPharlin when he needs it.

Just to say, generally I am less a fan of like for like replacements, and more a fan of tweeking a game plan around the best players available. We have seen that with Crowley not being replaced by a lock down tagger with good results.
I agree but I don't think that Suban qualifies as best available and certainly isn't good enough to justify retraining 45 other player to make sure he keeps getting a game. That would be a Fyfe or a Sandi type proposition.
How about option 3.

Suban is a serviceable midfielder with the odd good game thrown in. I can't see him improving much more, what we see is what we got, we know where his limit is. I don't think swapping Suban for Blakely/Weller would be the undoing of our midfield, and who knows it might make it even better. :)
With you all the way here.
I don't think that dropping Suban for a untried player who will come off the bench will lose us a match and if it does we will not make the GF anyway. If Suban is the difference between a GF or not then we are in a bad spot. Not because he is playing badly but because he is a middle of the road option and if those aren't interchangeable that just says we have no depth. I just says that anything happens at all to our mids and we can pack bags and wait for next season.
Nope players like Suban, DeBoer, Sherridan, Crozier, Duffield, C Pearce, Sutty, Gu and a few others are not going to light up the comp this season and so we need to take a workman like attitude to their selection. Bad game and your out and another who is there or abouts is in. My concerns is that we have trumpeted "you play your way in and you play your way out" we just don't seem to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back