Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowFan77

Senior List
Jun 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the time is right for the AFL to scrap all 10 existing Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega franchised Vic clubs. The existing Vic clubs are a massive drain on the system - several only survive by selling home games (Haw, NM, Rich and Melb). Cricket benefited enormously from abolishing the state T20 teams and franchising, and I think the AFL could benefit in the same way.

I think the following works:
  • a Central/North Melbourne team.
  • a South/East Melbourne team.
  • a West Melbourne team

Maybe split Central and North to make four Vic teams?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

It’s been done.

What is it with Eddie and plans?
Analysis - What is it with Eddie and plans?

I've used some of the inspiration from Eddie's latest plan last night and heavily considered the thoughts of many posters in this group in regards to mergers/relocation/rationalisation. As per the McGuire method of project planning and idea selling I've also come prepared with a graphic to explain to the real dimwits.

Current State
It has come to my attention that the AFL competition is bloated with too many teams in a very small country with a stagnating population that no longer care for the game.

This is further emphasised in the state of Victoria where there are 10 teams all competing for market share.

Future Plan
RATIONALISE!

I cannot stress this enough, we need to get rid of multiple AFL teams!

Merge them, relocate them, kill them off. All strategies that I would advise until the competition is small but strong like Mighty Mouse.

So here's what we do.

Graphic for dimwits below....
View attachment 1425376

Stage 1 - 2025

We go back to 2 clubs. Think about it, every week is a derby.

Club #1 - NORTH
Based out of Arden St, North Melbourne, playing home games at Marvel.

Using the metric of the club with the most media commentary in 2022 I can only assume that this is the largest Victorian club and therefore they shall remain in their current format as a merged entity created out of existing teams North Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood.

You may notice that Essendon is not listed above. That's because North have turned the tables on the 1921 merger and offered them entry into the new league but instead took all of their players and reneged on the merger, so unfortunately Essendon is no longer.

Also North have survived mergers and relocation around a dozen times so we know they aren't going anywhere.

Club #2 - SOUTH

Based out of Sydney, playing home games at the SCG

A merged entity created out of existing team Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast and Fremantle.

Reverting to their old name, South will be a worthy adversary of North and the TV ratings for the derby 22 rounds a year plus finals will be massive. It is a little concerning that South have already relocated once in their past, North will have to subsidise them for the first 30 years of the competition to ensure their survival.

Stage 2 - Estimated ~2040 onwards

Club #3 - WEST
Potentially if South remain viable for the first 15 years of the competition, we may think about de-merging the SA and WA teams and sending them back over to Perth to form a 3rd entity.

Unfortunately this would create a bye, not great for TV ratings.

Stage 4 - Estimated ~2050 onwards

Club #4 - NORTH 2
Obviously this requires the success of West but given the undeniable success of North 1, why wouldn't we create North 2 up there in the territory?

Sure there aren't many TV viewers up there but we've eliminated the bye now and the competition is still small enough to be at maximum strength......like Mighty Mouse.

I think the time is right for the AFL to scrap all 10 existing Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega franchised Vic clubs. The existing Vic clubs are a massive drain on the system - several only survive by selling home games (Haw, NM, Rich and Melb). Cricket benefited enormously from abolishing the state T20 teams and franchising, and I think the AFL could benefit in the same way.

• a West Melbourne team

Victoria has twice the population of wa and sa combined. So shouldnt it have twice the clubs. 4*2 = 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• a West Melbourne team

You on the vodka cruisers again big fella?

• a West Melbourne team

Will there be preseason camps like the ones Adelaide has ?

How does OP feel about merging Adelaide teams to create the Port Adelaide Crows?
Hmmm:

FB: Byrne-Jones, Jonas, Aliir
HB: Smith, Doedee, Laird
C: Butters, Duursma, Dawson
HF: Powell-Pepper, Walker, Keays
FF: Marshall, Georgiades, Gray
Foll: Lycett, Wines, Rozee
Int: Burton, Boak, Finlayson, Rachelle

Yep, happy with that!

• a West Melbourne team

100 posts, well done.
Have they all be shite posts like this one ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back