Opinion Time to Stand up

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Must say I've been quiet since the end of season due to work involvements - however I am nervous about what may happen over the next couple of weeks and furious about what has just occurred.

The next week is the clubs opportunity to stand up and show some self respect and gumption when discussing a trade deal for Crameri and to make some statements in the football world.
How we stayed quiet as a club when Bomber Thompson last week showed he and his clubs arrogance to suggest Crameri would be leaving for money rather than flags is beyond me.

How Bomber Thompson thinks he can make those statements coming from a club that....

- Has the equal longest run of not winning a final of current clubs (except Suns and GWS)
- Hasn't won a final since 2004
- Hasn't made a pre-liminary final since 2001
- Has hardly played a game in September in the last 5 years
- Have been proven to show their players a lack of care and exposed them to health risks

Is well beyond me !!

They may have a better list in 2014 - they may not - but lets get real - they are not in a position to slag off a player leaving to our club after the way they treated their players last year and with their recent finals history. Had it been the Cats, Hawks, Syd, maybe id wear it - but Essendon !?!?

I hope everyone of us Dogs fans and players remembers that rubbish for when we meet in 2014 - maybe we get the advantage call we should have got in 2014 and win the game !!

And as for the trade talk ...... This time last year I blew a socket cause the dogs jumped on the first day of trade week at the offer presented. Time and a little luck has shown that the trade may turn out alright; Stevens looks ok, and the 6 jump in the 1st round and the fact Hvorat got out from the early teens to the early 20's means it may be a win win - but I remain strong - why we jumped on day one when we held all the cards was a surprise.

This year we again hold all the cards. We want a bloke who is un-contracted and wants to leave a club. So while pick 22 seems reasonable anything more than this to get the deal over the line would cause me to pull out my already receding hair ! And if rumours are true ( My word is they are not) regarding JJ it would be fair to say I would be a disgruntled member of the club in 2014. You don't develop a rookie just to give him away when he shows Daniel Wells like potential and is about to blossom just to give me a way. We are already paying Crameri overs financially which we needed to do to get him out - but lets not pay anymore.

EDIT
And further to this how about the club come out and dispell damaging rumours. The lions come out with a statement Rockliff will not be traded, west cost come out saying SHeuy would not be traded today - what have we heard about JJ after the herald sun article ??? I've heard he has done a fitness test last week, doing one this week - SURELY if there is no truth to the rumour, the kid is contracted, then come out and knock it on the head.
END EDIT

So my message to the club and our fans is to STAND UP ... BE STRONG - not take or accept mediocrity or be bullied by the big clubs anymore. We can hold out 3 weeks for Crameri - Essendon would be stupid then not to accept our first and only offer.... and when they accept our only offer be quick to offer the bird or some words of advice to Bomber Thompson !

Kelvin31

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. Would love Peter Gordon come out an tell Paul Little and Bomber Thompon to pull their heads in.
Eddie would have paid out on Thompson within 24 hours of hearing that brain washed rubbish.

That said.

I'm wrapped we got rid of Lake and got Pick 21 (Hrovat future leader). Lake won a NS and good on him. But I take a bigger picture scenario and when Lake retires in a couple of years our kids will be standing up. Was a win win for both clubs. Not unlike the Shannon Grant/Schwass deal in 97. The Kangaroos were spewing to lose a senior gun in Schwass, but ended up with a young Grant that won a NS and played 301 games.

We must hold our nerve on the Cram deal. If it falls through, then so be it. We save $1.7m and can go after someone else. We just can't let other clubs stand over us especially Essendon.

(PS: Dear Bomber, GO & GET STUFFED!)

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Im still pissed we had the 5th hardest draw last season and the least 'block buster games'. Port Adelaide that finished above us had the 4th easiest draw and the AFL even mentioned them as getting an easy draw because they finished bottom 4...which they didn't...we did. The AFL would spend millions of dollars in wages/technology/sponsoring to get the fixture right and yet they pretend they didn't know who finished bottom 4.

What did our club say?

'We like the draw' - Imagine Eddie saying that.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Im still pissed we had the 5th hardest draw last season and the least 'block buster games'. Port Adelaide that finished above us had the 4th easiest draw and the AFL even mentioned them as getting an easy draw because they finished bottom 4...which they didn't...we did. The AFL would spend millions of dollars in wages/technology/sponsoring to get the fixture right and yet they pretend they didn't know who finished bottom 4.

What did our club say?

Butane - that is exactly what I am talking about !!! So glad you mentioned it.
Peter Gordon is quick to play the poor card and have a crack when it comes to equalisation and the swans cost of living. So ill give him that.

Would love for us to be stringer when it comes to footy matters like the one you mentioned and the points I made in my post.
Stuff being the nice guys all the time and being everybodys fav second club -
Stand up for ourselves and if we ruffle some feathers in the process then who cares.

Must say I've been quiet since the end of season due to work involvements - however I am nervous about what may happen over the next couple of weeks and furious about what has just occurred.

The next week is the clubs opportunity to stand up and show some self respect and gumption when discussing a trade deal for Crameri and to make some statements in the football world.
How we stayed quiet as a club when Bomber Thompson last week showed he and his clubs arrogance to suggest Crameri would be leaving for money rather than flags is beyond me.

Just on this. Look at the press that Thompson's got and the reaction from many supporters of other clubs. They either don't care, or think he's an idiot. Us staying silent is a good thing, it shows we have the nerve, it shows that we know what's happening.

All Bomber is doing is showing that he's worried and is going over the top. It screams to me that they're not sure what's happening and they don't know what's going to happen. And i'm happy with that.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure the club needs to get involved with the Thompson comments silence is golden in these situations. Agree with TB above on this. I think as a club we have more class than to get into tit for tat spat with that mob.

But agree that with Crameri we should not go any harder than our round 2 pick. Let him walk to the PSD, if GWS, Melbourne or the Saints match our deal and grab him then so be it.

I only say that because I am just not that bothered if we get him or not.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree. Would love Peter Gordon come out an tell Paul Little and Bomber Thompon to pull their heads in.
Eddie would have paid out on Thompson within 24 hours of hearing that brain washed rubbish.

That said.

I'm wrapped we got rid of Lake and got Pick 21 (Hrovat future leader). Lake won a NS and good on him. But I take a bigger picture scenario and when Lake retires in a couple of years our kids will be standing up. Was a win win for both clubs. Not unlike the Shannon Grant/Schwass deal in 97. The Kangaroos were spewing to lose a senior gun in Schwass, but ended up with a young Grant that won a NS and played 301 games.

We must hold our nerve on the Cram deal. If it falls through, then so be it. We save $1.7m and can go after someone else. We just can't let other clubs stand over us especially Essendon.

(PS: Dear Bomber, GO & GET STUFFED!)
hqdefault.jpg

GET STUFFED!!!!

How Bomber Thompson thinks he can make those statements coming from a club that....

- Has the equal longest run of not winning a final of current clubs (except Suns and GWS)
- Hasn't won a final since 2004
- Hasn't made a pre-liminary final since 2001
- Has hardly played a game in September in the last 5 years
- Have been proven to show their players a lack of care and exposed them to health risks

Is well beyond me !!

They may have a better list in 2014 - they may not - but lets get real - they are not in a position to slag off a player leaving to our club after the way they treated their players last year and with their recent finals history. Had it been the Cats, Hawks, Syd, maybe id wear it - but Essendon !?!?

I hope everyone of us Dogs fans and players remembers that rubbish for when we meet in 2014 - maybe we get the advantage call we should have got in 2014 and win the game !!

And as for the trade talk ...... This time last year I blew a socket cause the dogs jumped on the first day of trade week at the offer presented. Time and a little luck has shown that the trade may turn out alright; Stevens looks ok, and the 6 jump in the 1st round and the fact Hvorat got out from the early teens to the early 20's means it may be a win win - but I remain strong - why we jumped on day one when we held all the cards was a surprise.

This year we again hold all the cards. We want a bloke who is un-contracted and wants to leave a club. So while pick 22 seems reasonable anything more than this to get the deal over the line would cause me to pull out my already receding hair ! And if rumours are true ( My word is they are not) regarding JJ it would be fair to say I would be a disgruntled member of the club in 2014. You don't develop a rookie just to give him away when he shows Daniel Wells like potential and is about to blossom just to give me a way. We are already paying Crameri overs financially which we needed to do to get him out - but lets not pay anymore.

EDIT
And further to this how about the club come out and dispell damaging rumours. The lions come out with a statement Rockliff will not be traded, west cost come out saying SHeuy would not be traded today - what have we heard about JJ after the herald sun article ??? I've heard he has done a fitness test last week, doing one this week - SURELY if there is no truth to the rumour, the kid is contracted, then come out and knock it on the head.
END EDIT

So my message to the club and our fans is to STAND UP ... BE STRONG - not take or accept mediocrity or be bullied by the big clubs anymore. We can hold out 3 weeks for Crameri - Essendon would be stupid then not to accept our first and only offer.... and when they accept our only offer be quick to offer the bird or some words of advice to Bomber Thompson !

So you've moved on from telling us the coach is no good to telling us the whole club is no good. God I hate the off-season....

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So you've moved on from telling us the coach is no good to telling us the whole club is no good. God I hate the off-season....

Where did I say we were no good ? And I am certainly not going over ground on the macca issue.
Wow you really have no idea !! How about you stop looking for fights all the time !
You have nothing better to do with your time it appears ??

I am sorry I want our club to come out in support of a young kid.
Brisbane done it with Rockliff
Eagles Done it with Shuey
Giants done it with Shiel
I could go on with the number o clubs issuing statements today about other young players.
I would like to club to do the same for JJ.

I am sorry I want the club to stick up for itself when it gets put down by other clubs.
You may be happy rolling over and coping it from the footy world - I am not.

I have a quick lesson for you - The sun doesn't shine out of anyones backsides down at the kennell.
No one is perfect and everyone can do and improve things.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Couldn't care less about Essendon or what Bomber Thompson says...

All I care about is the Bulldogs... All I want this year is to NOT trade for 4 average player from other clubs.
Lower - Gone
Goodes - Gone end of this or next
Young - Cool with the ball in hand but slow in the legs
Stevens - Cracks in but needs to use it better

2 trades is enough each year. Put your faith in the draft and picks.

Ridley This

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

News just in: Essendon think they're above everyone else.

I hate, and I mean burningly hate Essendon. But if we bite at every troll in the AFL to take a swipe at us, whatever the team, we'd end up derailing ourself. People underestimate/disregard the Dogs and always have. You can only really prove that wrong on the field otherwise you look like a dope. Teams like Collingwood can afford to be petty about this crap because they've got the income and silverwear.

Also, two weeks ago Thompson was a Big Footy monty to be a Bulldogs assistant next year. Wonder if we've changed our minds on that.

As for trades, looks like we're in no rush. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/crameri-to-dogs-far-from-done

Personally I feel we shoud be more aggressive then we appear to be so far, but that's just me. There's a fair bit of movement around already, which ought create oppertunity for clubs willing to find it. Would love to trade down to mid first round and target Marsh. Would also be spewing if we somehow offloaded JJ, but doubt it will happen. I'm sure I read somewhere that Jason Mc said he wasn't on offer, but I can't find the link. I could be wrong. Also, no mention of JJ in a artical specifically about the Crameri trade. We can only really judge after the dust settles anyway.

TempleKelvington

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2009
Out searching for omens pointing to our next flag.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn't care less about Essendon or what Bomber Thompson says...

All I care about is the Bulldogs... All I want this year is to NOT trade for 4 average player from other clubs.
Lower - Gone
Goodes - Gone end of this or next
Young - Cool with the ball in hand but slow in the legs
Stevens - Cracks in but needs to use it better

2 trades is enough each year. Put your faith in the draft and picks.

Very Harsh there on Goodes and Stevens. I reckon Steven is a ripper. If you are going to trade for players then you go for guys just like him, perfect age and straved of opportunities. Goodes was rookied and he had a great season until injured and filled a need for us, enabled Bobby to play forward. Young like Stevens is perfect age and starved of opportunity, he showed a lot I thought. He's also very young.

I think they were astute pick ups and happy to have more of the same. I think you need to use as many draft picks as you can on quality kids from 18 comps provided teh quality is there, but you also build you list by picking up players from other clubs who add to you list and fill needs. You don't want to grab too many in the Goodes age bracket though, unless you are in the Window. Blend of young, middle age and mature recruits is the way to go. The trick is getting good ones. I reckon we did well.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Where did I say we were no good ? And I am certainly not going over ground on the macca issue.
Wow you really have no idea !! How about you stop looking for fights all the time !
You have nothing better to do with your time it appears ??

I am sorry I want our club to come out in support of a young kid.
Brisbane done it with Rockliff
Eagles Done it with Shuey
Giants done it with Shiel
I could go on with the number o clubs issuing statements today about other young players.
I would like to club to do the same for JJ.

I am sorry I want the club to stick up for itself when it gets put down by other clubs.
You may be happy rolling over and coping it from the footy world - I am not.

I have a quick lesson for you - The sun doesn't shine out of anyones backsides down at the kennell.
No one is perfect and everyone can do and improve things.
Umm J-Mac was on radio the day after the Herald Sun article and strongly stated that JJ was 100 percent off the table. It was all over these boards. Where have you been?

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I'm not sure how much reassurement people need. JJ is definitively OFF the table.
And it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest this club isn't doing everything it can for it's younger players.

What did our club say?

The only reason why they said this is that's what the majority want to hear. They don't want to hear anything about doom and gloom, because they need positivity in order to attract the dollars and the members to keep the club alive. If we are seen to be saying that the draw is not favourable from an official standpoint then I can imagine the negative press that would be shoved down our throats for a day or two hurting the club in some way.

Mar 27, 2009
Whitten oval
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cyclops you are 100% right with this post. Essendon think they are above a battling club like us and we should bend over and take it like n roo does from z Dawson on footy trips. Makes me sick to the stomach and we have to stand up to them and tell them to go and f themselves. I'm sick to death of ess and their superiority complex. I grew up in ess. Hello it is not Toorak. Why are you all so arrogant I don't get it. I now hope we don't trade and go to the psd. * them. Sorry but I have had enough. They want a first rd pick for a guy who is a good player but far froma star. Ok enjoy your donut from the psd.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
lower was a FA so didnt even hurt us:)
Wrong attitude. He was a place on the list which lasted a year, therefore a mistake. Someone else could have been given the chance and become a player, it happens all the time. You can't afford too many mistakes. The pick was all wrong in the first place. I wouldn't have drafted Lower or Goodes even though I acknowlede Goodes played some good games.

Wrong attitude. He was a place on the list which lasted a year, therefore a mistake. Someone else could have been given the chance and become a player, it happens all the time. You can't afford too many mistakes. The pick was all wrong in the first place. I wouldn't have drafted Lower or Goodes even though I acknowlede Goodes played some good games.

He filled a need until Wallis took over. Was good to have another mature body around when a couple of our older players were out. He cost nothing and didn't take anyones spot really..

Would take him filling a spot and providing a mature body and leadership over a pick 84.

Back