Time to talk the "R" word yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m on board. Sign Sloane up and put both in for surgery for 2019. No point playing them now.

I'm getting a bit tired of Sauce. I'd like to see ROB get an extended run. Heck Dear looks headed for delisting. Might as well give him some games to see if what he's got before we decide for sure.

I'm getting a bit tired of Sauce. I'd like to see ROB get an extended run. Heck Dear looks headed for delisting. Might as well give him some games to see if what he's got before we decide for sure.
Sauce actually got a few hits to advantage in the 3rd. What a difference that made. We hit the front. The rest of the time he was just s**t, if he did win a tap it went straight down the throat of a GWS player. He is Done!

I’m on board. This club is exhausted and going nowhere this year.

A better draft pick would help. If we lose the next 10 games we finish 6-16, which might take us to 15th or thereabouts which would be pick 4. Win a few and we might end up 11th which would be a shame. (Pity Carlton have our 2nd round pick...)

We desperately need a full list to complete a full pre-season ahead of 2019. We started this year off the pace, we cannot afford to start next year the same way.

What does that look like?

Key players currently missing can take their time getting back:
- Gov and Smith may want to try to play a few late in the year to get back in the swing of things, but no rush.
- Tex and Sloane can take a much needed break to reset, rather than pushing through injury as they have been.

Role players who have been playing but struggling from time to time should not be driven to over-do things:
- Seedsman has been struggling with groin issues. Has struggled in the second half of games a few times. Has missed a lot of footy so he might want to keep playing where he can, perhaps miss a few here and there to avoid overdoing it.
- Greenwood is in his first full year, didn't get a full pre-season, and is our primary contested midfielder. At some point he will need a break.
- Jacobs needs a break. Return later in the year rejuvenated, and if he is still struggling, we have more info in hand coming into trade week.
- Lynch has had a sequence of minor issues this year. Commentators said he didn't join the 3QT huddle - disappointing from an acting captain. He can either play SANFL or have a holiday ahead of his apparent free agency departure.
- Gibbs is 29 and already missed a pre-season game with a back spasm. He shouldn't be pushed to overdo it. The match away to Brisbane would be a good one to give him a rest, maybe give him a break away to Carlton in round 23 as well. You can't be too careful!
The kids get as many games as would help their development.

From there, expect the mediocre spuds like Jenkins, Mackay, Gibson to play every game. We still need some mature bodies out there. If they don't have a good reason to miss, then they play. It's one thing to prepare for next year, and another thing to send in guys who aren't even up to SANFL standard. That way lies Primus-era Port Power.

Then we coach and set them up to try to win. You develop as a player when you are trying to win. We have talent in the kids we already have in the team. If Milera and Fogarty take over a game and we have an unexpected win, great, they can take that momentum into next year.

However I would hate for Sloane and Walker to drive themselves to get back into the team, push through injury to lift us up to 10th, and then miss the pre-season. That would be the worst possible outcome.

One thing the training camp fiasco reveals is that the current AFC management are not afraid of radical solutions. I think a one year reset would at least be on the cards.

Ruthless is the R word we need to talk about

Lets be fair , as a club , as a team and as a corporation we arent ruthless. Deadwood is allowed to pile up. Most of Adelaide thought Roo was the answer to this lack of ruthlessness. He got Phil in and it felt like he had confirmed it. Not sure if the club itself lost the courage to act after Phils death or if it was there and even Phil was going to butt heads over it.

Players are allowed to drift along without any pressure to perform or if so that pressure is eased by a good game. Standards have slipped that non-tackling is seen as being ok. Under 20 possession games by 150 game players is ok .

Coaches are allowed to get long service leave . There is no accountability at the top so there certainly cant be accountability underneath

The CEO talked about getting the best people in . Yet jobs for the boys has taken on even more of a joke meaning. Like our drafting message ' the one we wanted we got ' is a mantra for our employment. 'The best ------ just happened to be in our club all along'

No Ruthlessness.

It's like they pick their players at the beginning of the season, then all efforts are focused on keeping these players in and keeping their spirits up.

They ignore everything else.
This philosophy will ensure a high end pick end of the year. Hopefully top 6 which is not all bad. Don's stubborness may in fact work to our advantage.

There is no need for a rebuild, that assumes the list is ****ed and we have no future.

As I pointed out in my thread, have a crap year which is on the cards anyway given our injuries, bring in some elite talent and we will continue to remain a good chance of winning it.

Imagine Rankine in our forward line next year until he develops into a mid?

There is no need for a rebuild, that assumes the list is ****** and we have no future.

As I pointed out in my thread, have a crap year which is on the cards anyway given our injuries, bring in some elite talent and we will continue to remain a good chance of winning it.

Exactly.

Imagine what 5 top 30 picks would do for the club next year and going forward.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The R word I would be using is 'reset'.
Get rid of the dead weight and list cloggers and get as many 1st and 2nd rounders we can manage into the club.
Or refresh? :) I guess the difference in all this is a rebuild involves a team that despite having a full fit list, is struggling near the bottom and by choice trades out their older quality players for top draft picks.

Move on the coaches and fitness staff that are not up to it. Dont employ anyone from the boys club. Get the best in.
Do we know we are able to attract quality coaches and fitness staff (so that it ends up being the difference who are interested and ex-AFC people not high so might as well go boys' club approach) ?

think Carlton would take Gibbs back for a single first round pick? cut our losses?

There is no need for a rebuild, that assumes the list is ****** and we have no future.

Yeah, pretty much. Go hard at JGov, and load up on the draft to try and extend the window for as long as possible.

This year is just screaming restructure and a perfect chance to take a broom to our assistants/incompetents who are running the fitness side (and if that reddit rumour has any legs whatsoever, it may happen)

Gibbs is not the problem - he's delivering as expected. But he was never recruited to play Brad and Sloane's roles. He was brought in to be the icing on the cake

Well the cake has gone off, we don't need any icing.

latest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back