Tinkering with the Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL can't seem to help itself tinkering with the Laws of the game. Sometimes it's called for, often it's not.

They have established a rules committee or rules officer and related functions that manage umpires. That's fine but when you established a position or a body to oversee the rules they often feel they have to justify their existence so they come up with all sorts of unnecessary or contrived claptrap. To make it worse there is often little consultation and the AFL even seems to have done away with foreshadowing a rule change for the following season. They just implement it straight off. There's no "we'll trial it in the practice games and see how it goes".

It's made worse when they implement the new rules heavy-handedly in the first few weeks (like the umpire dissent rule) then like magic the level of enforcement changes, sometimes to the point that the rule doesn't exist any more (again, like the umpire dissent rule). The umpires are a victim of this impulsive behaviour too. They probably hear about a new rule not long before we do. We only have to watch it. They have to somehow interpret it and make sense of it without destroying the spectacle of the game. And when they have just about got the hang of it the AFL taps them on the shoulder and says "hey, go easy on that rule fellas, it's not working out too well". I'm surprised Brad Scott hasn't got a whistle shoved up his clacker. (actually, now that I think about it ... :think:)

Players and coaches too are mightily confused a lot of the time. Players have to adapt. Coaches do too, but they are usually a lot smarter than the AFL so they fairly smartly come up with workarounds and counter-measures that either neutralise the effect of the rule or create yet more problems for the AFL. And so the AFL gets to work devising yet more rule changes. And so the whole circus continues to roll on.

Sometimes less is more. Quite often in fact, especially where it applies to the AFL.

I thought we spend enough time whingeing about the AFL rule changes that it might as well have its own thread that we can fill up with tears, vitriol and spittle.

What prompted the idea was this latest piece. TBH I don't mind it and I think it's not before time, but again it seems to be a typical knee jerk from the AFL. I am 99.9% certain it will start being officiated one way and end up in a completely different place. For now the Ginnivans, Weightmans, Selwoods and McLeans of the world are on notice. Not because they are necessarily always the culprits but because they have a reputation and so the umpires will be very reluctant to reward them for high contact.

Umpire dissent was the hot topic for the first couple of months of the season. I watch a fair bit of footy, but I’ve only noticed about 2 dissent 50m penalties paid in the last few weeks.

Ironically it’s gone away a bit ever since Khamis smiled.

By the AFL’s own judication, we should have had a 50m against Saints after the JJ non-high then non-HTB decision when about 5 of their players had their arms out and were yelling at the umpire about why it wasn’t called after we took a forward 50 mark. It even took a while for the ump to give it against Pendlebury on the weekend.

Just a sub-plot to the ducking rule who thinks the umpires are paying soft free kicks in the last 8 weeks the slightest touch of an arm or hold of guernsey not to mention 50 metre frees the game is almost un watchable.

I reckon there's a place in the game for Enforcers and any rule tinkering should be directed towards this.

Lawfully being able to throw a few punches at the likes of Toby Greene, Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Hawkins and Tex Walker would be a welcome rule change. It would also allow for the veterans list to return so the likes of Barry Hall and Wayne Carey can be recruited as 40+ year old Enforcers.

Ive liked the way its been officiated the last couple weeks. I think word reached head office that fans were sick of the over umpiring

Remember "tunnelling", as one example? One of many flash in the pan rule changes and briefly enforced. And as dogwatch says, there are so many examples.

Does any sporting code in the world tinker with their own rules so readily and regularly? All it does is generate even more opprobrium for the umpires, as if enough didn't already exist.

Remember "tunnelling", as one example? One of many flash in the pan rule changes and briefly enforced. And as dogwatch says, there are so many examples.

Does any sporting code in the world tinker with their own rules so readily and regularly? All it does is generate even more opprobrium for the umpires, as if enough didn't already exist.
You would never see FIFA making such abrupt, arbitrary changes. Or World Rugby. Or the ICC.

Yes it's true these sports can't get away with it because they have so many stakeholders. But change does happen when it's needed. It happens slowly, carefully and with ample time for consultation, research and trials.

The AFL may have aspirations to be a world sport but its almost flippant approach to changing the rules makes it an object of derision among those who follow other football codes.

And yes it's a good point f1973 ... if they want umpire abuse to stop, how about giving them an easier job to do? Let the umpires apply a consistent set of rules with minimal change over time. With far less ad-hocery in the instructions given to the umpires in how to interpret them. How about cleaning up the debris of all the old rules on the statute books that are no longer applied? Or at least modernising them to meet current practice.

The worst bit is because the interpretation changes during the season, some teams get shafted and others don't. One example is the Dissent rule - Buku and DeGoey got done for pretty lame dissent efforts and then you see the Saints one on the weekend. Let alone the Brisbane guy who got done for putting his arms out early in the piece

The worst bit is because the interpretation changes during the season, some teams get shafted and others don't. One example is the Dissent rule - Buku and DeGoey got done for pretty lame dissent efforts and then you see the Saints one on the weekend. Let alone the Brisbane guy who got done for putting his arms out early in the piece
It's not just the interpretation, that rule enforcement seems to have disappeared almost completely. Which is par for the course with the AFL. New rules are brought in at the start of seasons, umpires are dynamite on them for the first few weeks, then enforcement drops dramatically for a few more weeks, then by the latter stages of the season, no one would even know the rules ever existed. This is an indictment on the AFL senior hierarchy, and the umpiring head honchos. (And the active umpiring group do themselves no favours in meekly accepting added layers of complexity to their job on a yearly basis seemingly on a whim from turnips like Jeff Gieschen, Rowan Sawers, Hayden Kennedy and Brad Scott.)

Believe there should be less rules, just let the players play. Cut back on some of the crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back