TIO (Marrara) Stadium Darwin. Anyone been?

Remove this Banner Ad

To sit in the stand the last time I went required booking through the club, the time before that was basically paying the Darwin entertainment Centre a visit on match eve, but they date back to 2010/11 (before the Long Centre at the McMillans Rd end, or left of screen, was dreamt of let alone built) and being a club member helped big time. Last year a company called NTIX was handling the online ticketing component. If you're a club member I'm sure they can help arrange something for a fee.

Suggestions of an afl team in the NT have apparently been expanded (although still early stages). This link suggests that they are looking to build a new multi purpose stadium (double the current size of tio stadium) in a different location.

I think this is the right place to put this. https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=733

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Looking to head up for the Saints game v Gold Coast next season. Keen to sit in the stand rather than on the grassed area Is that possible? Does booking through AFL travel help? Or is it the domain of the home side (like the stand in Townsville was for the corresponding game this year)

Thanks for any help!
Hey mate. I know it's not much help right now, but in future, when booking tickets for TIO Stadium, they generally will either have General Admin (the grass areas) or grandstand tickets available. The grandstand usually fills quite quickly, but AFL travel should be able to secure one. THey normally sell them via Ticketek, the Darwin Entertainment Centre, then have 1000-2000 available at the gate.

Yeah they've had those setup for a year or two now. Probably more important now for the COVID restrictions etc. to keep everyone seated. I always used to love sitting on the grass though, was a unique experience. Except if you got too close to the scoreboard/TIO signs as a kid, you'd end up covered in beer or spit
I wonder if there will be anyone on the grass or just in stands

I wonder if there will be anyone on the grass or just in stands

Yeah as far as I can tell, they will be on the grass. Was reading the TIO Stadium info and there's a "chair zone" where you can bring your own fold up chair and sit in the general admin areas, so i'd imagine there is still grass room. With the capacity capped at 50% for both games, I'd imagine the grass won't be as chockers as it normally is. I think they have a 1-2 metre line from the fence too to stop the locals getting too close to the players on the ground (instead of hanging over the fence banging the signs as we always see). It's that bloody hot up there at the moment nobody will want to get too close to anybody anyway

Definitely take a bus to the ground if you can help it. You'll be knackered if you walk from Casuarina Shopping Centre (where the interchange is located, downstairs I believe near the Woolworths exit) to the ground if you're not used to the conditions. It's a simple route walking down Trower Road, turning left at the Senior College and crossing McMillans Road before entering the precinct, but unless you're fit and used to the conditions or are desperate for a beer or two at the Airport Tavern pre match I wouldn't recommend walking. If you're on the city side absolutely do not walk from there to the ground, that really does take forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely take a bus to the ground if you can help it. You'll be knackered if you walk from Casuarina Shopping Centre (where the interchange is located, downstairs I believe near the Woolworths exit) to the ground if you're not used to the conditions. It's a simple route walking down Trower Road, turning left at the Senior College and crossing McMillans Road before entering the precinct, but unless you're fit and used to the conditions or are desperate for a beer or two at the Airport Tavern pre match I wouldn't recommend walking. If you're on the city side absolutely do not walk from there to the ground, that really does take forever.
Was staying near Tracy Village and walked to TIO once. Reckon I could’ve died

Was staying near Tracy Village and walked to TIO once. Reckon I could’ve died
I reckon you’d be pushing it walking from anywhere else that’s not in this map. It’s an unforgiving walk when you could just catch a bus for free or taxi. Even drive and park somewhere in Anula 79F434A6-40B6-42DB-AED3-73965933A70D.jpeg

I reckon you’d be pushing it walking from anywhere else that’s not in this map. It’s an unforgiving walk when you could just catch a bus for free or taxi. Even drive and park somewhere in AnulaView attachment 1021751
Wanguri isn’t that far if you just go down Lee Point Rd. No more than 6km surely?

Wanguri isn’t that far if you just go down Lee Point Rd. No more than 6km surely?
Or you could walk across Trower road and catch a free bus. FFS why would you walk from Wanguri?? I mean you could walk from Elizabeth River, but no one sane would try. Although Catweazle (ex NTFL ump Adrain Wellington) might try and run It.

Hoping to get up there for the Hawks v Suns game.

Are tickets sold through ticketek, ticketmaster or something else?

What's the usual cost for a seat in the Maurice Rioli Stand?

Hoping to get up there for the Hawks v Suns game.

Are tickets sold through ticketek, ticketmaster or something else?

What's the usual cost for a seat in the Maurice Rioli Stand?
Tickets tend to only go on sale the week before the games on www.NTIX.com.au.
not sure how it will work for members though etc. A lot of tickets are given away to communities/locals, but should hopefully be able to snag some. I usually go general admin so have never checked the Rioli stand prices sorry mate!

Tickets tend to only go on sale the week before the games on www.NTIX.com.au.
not sure how it will work for members though etc. A lot of tickets are given away to communities/locals, but should hopefully be able to snag some. I usually go general admin so have never checked the Rioli stand prices sorry mate!

Thanks mate!

Given I'll need to be booking flights months in advance, would hope that there's a way to secure tickets prior as a member.

Thanks mate!

Given I'll need to be booking flights months in advance, would hope that there's a way to secure tickets prior as a member.
Yeah it’s a pain of a setup. Hopefully this year with there being a bit more structure in the season we get more notice for ticket sales and the club can help out. The two games last year were a nightmare- system crashed, thousands of supporters missed out and they sold out both games (blues suns and tigers dons) within a few minutes. I’m hoping to fly up to finally see the hawks play at tio after I gave up waiting and moved interstate haha My family still live there though so it won’t be a wasted trip if I miss the tickets (or so I’ll say anyway)

Yeah it’s a pain of a setup. Hopefully this year with there being a bit more structure in the season we get more notice for ticket sales and the club can help out. The two games last year were a nightmare- system crashed, thousands of supporters missed out and they sold out both games (blues suns and tigers dons) within a few minutes. I’m hoping to fly up to finally see the hawks play at tio after I gave up waiting and moved interstate haha My family still live there though so it won’t be a wasted trip if I miss the tickets (or so I’ll say anyway)

Fingers crossed it all works out for us :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back