Tip your hat to Hawthorn here, the greatest AFL club of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

The best club since we joined the VFL in 1925, there is nothing more you can ask...

Hawthorn 12
Carlton 11
Melbourne 11
Collingwood 10
Essendon 10
Geelong 9
Richmond 8
North Melbourne 4
Sydney Swans 3
West Coast 3
Brisbane Lions 3
Adelaide 2
Fitzroy 1
Port Adelaide 1
St Kilda 1
W Bulldogs 1

All in 54 years. Collingwood won their dozen in 57 years, the Demons in 64 years. Hawthorn won their 12 flags in a shorter timespan from first to last than any other club in the competition.

Last edited:
I tip my hat to Hawthorn as the TBE.

The best club since we joined the VFL in 1925, there is nothing more you can ask...

Hawthorn 12
Carlton 11
Melbourne 11
Collingwood 10
Essendon 10
Geelong 9
Richmond 8
North Melbourne 4
Sydney Swans 3
West Coast 3
Brisbane Lions 3
Adelaide 2
Fitzroy 1
Port Adelaide 1
St Kilda 1
W Bulldogs 1

All in 54 years. Collingwood won their dozen in 57 years, the Demons in 64 years. Hawthorn won their 12 flags in a shorter timespan from first to last than any other club in the competition.

I'm sorry, but Essendon & Carlton have you covered.

I'm sorry, but Essendon & Carlton have you covered.

Im sorry but how?

Because you won 6 irrelevant flags through the challenge system.

Im sorry but Hawthorn is the most successful club since HAWTHORN joined the competition. For us, that is our benchmark.

I really don't give a s**t about 1897 (in much the same way the Eagles fans wouldn't give two shits about 1946) given we didn't exist until 1902 as a football club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like cherry picking timeframes.

I do too. For example I like talking about periods when we actually competed in the competition.

FFS Hawthorn didn't play VFA until 1914. So for us 1906-08 and 1914 means nothing :)

Carlton is still a more successful VFL/AFL club but we are the most successful since we began competing in the competition.

Not a difficult premise to get at all really. For a West Coast fan, they'd respect us for our last 6 flags (all won since 1987) but would have scant regard for our first 6

This board feels even less credible than teh Bay. Should've taken it one step further and say "Who's won the most GFs since GWS have been in the comp.

No, obviously the logic is difficult for you to commute. Hawthorn is not the most successful VFL/AFL club (we are 4th) but we are the most successful club since we joined the competition. Which is the benchmark for ANY club

Do you understand the importance of that seemingly arbitrary figure for Hawthorn fans?

No, obviously the logic is difficult for you to commute. Hawthorn is not the most successful VFL/AFL club (we are 4th) but we are the most successful club since we joined the competition. Which is the benchmark for ANY club

Do you understand the importance of that seemingly arbitrary figure for Hawthorn fans?
I think this is what's referred to as a "circle jerk"?

Agree with the premise. Hawks are the dominant club of this competition. Their playing record is the best. Their flag record is the best on any meaningful analysis. They are strong and have learnt how to have sustained success. Collingwood I think remains the biggest club in terms of ability to generate news and bums on seats etc but Hawks not far behind even on this. But for the things that really countin a footy club Hawthorn have the competition covered.

In simple terms they are the benchmark everyone should aspire to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back