Injury Tippett "back playing soon": Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

His knee was never a issue at Adelaide just his concussions? ******* hell we lost a lot of blokes in 2013 to leg/knee injuries.

Understand what you are getting at here John but I am with Punts on this. Bang for buck is what we are after. $1m a year for a bloke who cannot get on the ground after 6 months of rehab on a knee injury that was said to be not to serious at the time and would not require surgery. The party line at the moment is knee tendonitis. Give us a spell !!!! Mick O played his whole career with it and it is managable from week to week. I Know I played with it for 10 years and still have it in both knees well after my playing finished. Cameron and Co need to pull their finger out of their assssssses and get him out on the ground. It is farcical as is the Goodes situation who has had more time off than if he had a total knee reco. Don't want to get onto this whole Goodes like God argument and what he has done for the club or what he means to all us supporters but unless he can get on the ground in the next 3 weeks he should retire. Stop all this cloak and dagger BS as the charade is not funny anymore. I suppose if the club were more transparent and started being honest with the members of the club who keep it in existence it would stop rants like this but I have been inside footy clubs all my life and this is a joke. Mail is Goodes is nowhere near playing and if people think he is going to come in and wave a magic wand over the latter part of the season or the finals series providing we get there they are sadly mistaken. He has proven in the past he needs a half a dozen games or so to get going.

We recruited Franklin to partner Tippett & Goodes and have a forward structure that would rip opposition defences to shreds but the way things are tracking this is a pie in the sky pipedream. All we have at the moment is a superstar in Franklin who is being wasted by an appalling forward structure and ball use partnered by an inconsistent potential superstar in Reid who runs around looking like a jack Russell who has lost his tennis ball.

Oh make no mistake mate i agree with Punts 100% it's why i pointed out i just hope our multi million dollar forward line is not injury prone, i think we can all agree while he only played half a season in 2013 his performance well justified his salary.

Obviously i have no medical degree but thing that concerns me is we still don't know if Tippett requires surgery or not? as for Goodes well it's sounding like a lot like the prognosis on Bradshaw always 3-4 weeks next thing you know its past the half way mark of the season and a press conference is called.

Reid looked very good against GWS pre-season so i'm just gonna put it down to a offday, but i do ask myself if we are ever going to get our best forwardline on the ground :(

Understand what you are getting at here John but I am with Punts on this. Bang for buck is what we are after. $1m a year for a bloke who cannot get on the ground after 6 months of rehab on a knee injury that was said to be not to serious at the time and would not require surgery. The party line at the moment is knee tendonitis. Give us a spell !!!! Mick O played his whole career with it and it is managable from week to week. I Know I played with it for 10 years and still have it in both knees well after my playing finished. Cameron and Co need to pull their finger out of their assssssses and get him out on the ground. It is farcical as is the Goodes situation who has had more time off than if he had a total knee reco. Don't want to get onto this whole Goodes like God argument and what he has done for the club or what he means to all us supporters but unless he can get on the ground in the next 3 weeks he should retire. Stop all this cloak and dagger BS as the charade is not funny anymore. I suppose if the club were more transparent and started being honest with the members of the club who keep it in existence it would stop rants like this but I have been inside footy clubs all my life and this is a joke. Mail is Goodes is nowhere near playing and if people think he is going to come in and wave a magic wand over the latter part of the season or the finals series providing we get there they are sadly mistaken. He has proven in the past he needs a half a dozen games or so to get going.

We recruited Franklin to partner Tippett & Goodes and have a forward structure that would rip opposition defences to shreds but the way things are tracking this is a pie in the sky pipedream. All we have at the moment is a superstar in Franklin who is being wasted by an appalling forward structure and ball use partnered by an inconsistent potential superstar in Reid who runs around looking like a jack Russell who has lost his tennis ball.
Couldn't have said it better myself , Kurt has not done one main session the hole off season ( bullshit in my opinion ). I don't give a s**t that he kicked 35 goals in a half a season and has huge potential the guy is no good to us sitting in the stands collecting 1 mil a season. As for Goodes im sorry to say it but if he was not contracted for 14 I think he would have pulled the pin. Reid in my opinion would make a better defender but will wait and see what he can do when all 3 play together. If Reid , Buddy , Tippett cant become a force down forward there has to be fingers pointed because what else it needed

Did he have knee tendonitis at Adelaide? or is this just a recent thing.
Don't know just said he has had since he arrived at the club and flared up the week before the Carlton game.
M Cameron tomorrow , Tippett is coming along nicely and were happy with where he is at ( what in the stands matt ) r11
Jack , due to train on Thursday and will see where he is at but he looks to have over come his back issue r7
LRT , we had some extra scans and noticed a small strain so he will miss this week but will get him going next week , r15 return
Goodes , really coming along now , ball skills should start in june
Walsh , he has headed home for a couple of weeks but as soon as he gets back we will ramp up his training ( wont come back )

I would be annoyed if they recruited a player with a known condition without doing their due diligence, if they knew about it but chose to hold off on the surgery because they thought it might improve then that is a different story, you don't want to go in for unnecessary surgery if it can be avoided. It is frustrating not knowing though but I can understand why they would want to keep some things in house.

I would be annoyed if they recruited a player with a known condition without doing their due diligence, if they knew about it but chose to hold off on the surgery because they thought it might improve then that is a different story, you don't want to go in for unnecessary surgery if it can be avoided. It is frustrating not knowing though but I can understand why they would want to keep some things in house.

Are you talking about Tippett's knee or Buddy's brain?

Can't understand why Tippett is still out. Shaw did an acl and got back and he is 3-4 years older. In starting to think that Tippett had something more serious.

If he doesn't get back till after the halfway mark of the season after they have been saying he is touch and go every week, in gonna be severely pissed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes however in comparing Shaw to Tippett you have two very different beasts.

With Tippett out we lose not only our one major target deep forward but also a handy back up ruck option. With Shaw we lose one of our running defenders. As such, I'd say that Shaw is more easily replaceable in the side at the moment than Tippett. As such a more cautious approach is taken with what is seemingly a more valuable (i.e. harder to cover) player/position.

Secondly, Shaw is giving it everything to get back for what could be his last year or so playing the game. Tippett has a few more years ahead of him. Shaw is pushing to fit in playing before he retires. Tippett is focusing more-so on the more cautious approach to minimize risk while Shaw is pushing the risks to play before it's too late.

They are also two completely different body shapes and have completely different attributes. Shaw is more your accelerate and deliver type player. Tippett is more the jumping and contesting the mark type player. Shaw is bulky and has a seemingly mature (read: AFL tough) body too IMO.

The contrarian in me loves the fact that the big footy crowd is dropping its bundle and looking for anything that might be a negative. Tippetts a cripple, Goodes is finished, Buddy is the devil, Hanners is possessed and our game plan was designed by Fred Flintstone etc etc. Sure is going to be lonely without you guys prelim final week.

Seriously, time for some rational perspective guys!

Read title as "Tippett's knee split", briefly considered killing myself.

Sorry. :oops:

I split the thread because people wanted to discuss it. Have updated to reflect the latest update from the club per this article:

Tippett did not train with the Swans' main group last week, but ran strongly during the session on Friday. "He won't play the Collingwood game," coach John Longmire declared. "He ran on Friday and had a good solid session and workout, but he won't be playing this week."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ns-clash-with-collingwood-20140323-hvlvu.html

Last edited:
Lots of running happening this pre-season... Goodes, Tip, LRT, Shaw, AJ, Buddy.... Running running and running. Obviously they think cardio is a priority and a more cautious approach to injury management this year is on the cards after the horrific injury toll last year. It's a bloody shame all the caution and careful preperation in the world probably couldn't have prevented AJ going down again. Grrr... None-the-less, I think they are doing the right thing by us (and Tippett himself) with Tippetts recovery. Better safe than sorry. He'll be better for the run with an extra week or two off early than not. Likewise for Goodes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back