Injury Tippett "back playing soon": Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerning given how many times last year we heard "insert name is only a few weeks away" and it kept getting dragged out.

However Tippett is far too important to rush back for a round 2 or 3 game, so if they are being genuine and he's not that far off playing next week or the week after and it get's down to the 'touch and go' stage for any game. I'd rather they play it cautious and give an extra week, take absolutely no risks, if that means a round 5 or 6, 7 return then so be it.
There is enough talent (on paper anyway) available that they should be able to cover for the early portion of the season, provided they find their form ofcourse. Better he miss the first 6 rounds than the any other 6 game stretch.

Tippett will surely take a reduced rate, at the moment his body has not shown it can be branded on to stand up long term

He has only missed a few games he was able to play to be fair

I think it's a good sign that Longmire still wants him to ruck. If his knee was buggered I don't think he'd be even considering it.

It's time to take a deep breath and just wait for him to be fully fit. His progress seems pretty steady so I expect we'll see him very soon.

That's a fair point. Just frustrated we can never get our best team on the park at once
I must say that I am getting a bit sick of our woe is me position here. True this has been a really terrible 12 months for injuries. But it comes on the back of a really long period where we have been very fortunate. Imagine being a dees supporter whose three key forwards are all basically on long term injuries, or the pies whose aa backman is injured. Or the crows whose one key forward has been out for 12 months. or the weagles whose entire forward line bar one player was down last year. Or freo who came over to the scg last season without their aa ruckman as well as several of their best 22.

Everyone suffers injuries and sometimes they cruel your season.

Our problem really is that we genuinely have inexperienced depth because we shipped out all of our experienced depth at the end of the season.

The question is whether we can cover the injuries or whether we cant, the same as it is for every other team in the league.

I must say that I am getting a bit sick of our woe is me position here. True this has been a really terrible 12 months for injuries. But it comes on the back of a really long period where we have been very fortunate. Imagine being a dees supporter whose three key forwards are all basically on long term injuries, or the pies whose aa backman is injured. Or the crows whose one key forward has been out for 12 months. or the weagles whose entire forward line bar one player was down last year. Or freo who came over to the scg last season without their aa ruckman as well as several of their best 22.

Everyone suffers injuries and sometimes they cruel your season.

Our problem really is that we genuinely have inexperienced depth because we shipped out all of our experienced depth at the end of the season.

The question is whether we can cover the injuries or whether we cant, the same as it is for every other team in the league.
It's a fair point. Teams rarely ever do get their best 22 on the park at once.
Pre season everyone was concerned at how we were going to fit Rampe, Johnson, Laidler etc into the same backline or how Franklin, Tippet, Goodes and Reid would fit into the same forward line. As we've seen, these problems often take care of themselves and the 22 were left with should be good enough to get the job done.

Horse said that when Tippett comes back he is in no hurry to play him in the ruck. He also said thay Derickz will be playing ig LRT pulls up ginger. Im all for playing two rucks I hope Tippett never does and I think LRT is wasted in the ruck I think our young rucks will all get a shot over the coming months if any of them look the goods we wont see Tippett in the ruck when he comes back.

Last edited:
To be honest, while LRT offers a bit more more up front, Derickx is going to be able to handle ruck duties and allow Pyke to go forward at times.

So the options are:
LRT forward and pinch-hitting in the ruck, and a tired Pyke who can't spend time forward.
or
Derickx and Pyke rotating into the forward line and allowing more midfield rotations.

I know which i'd prefer to see. Bring on Derickx. Having a big forward at all times is going to take some pressure of Buddy and Reid. LRT isn't big enough to be that sort of goalsquare target which will let the other two roam around the forward 50 in a bit of space.

Love LRT, but unless he's in the backline, i can't see him as best 22 purely on team balance. But maybe he could go and play on Jesse?

I just wanna see this bloke in the Team so we can see how we structure and lets be honest him and Buddy together will be dangerous and you also have Reid , Rohan etc etc down there ( if we can get the ball in quick and past the centre of the ground more than half a dozen times a game). Hopefully by the Freo game he is right but he guess next week will be the big test to see if he can even get through training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanna see this bloke in the Team so we can see how we structure and lets be honest him and Buddy together will be dangerous and you also have Reid , Rohan etc etc down there ( if we can get the ball in quick and past the centre of the ground more than half a dozen times a game). Hopefully by the Freo game he is right but he guess next week will be the big test to see if he can even get through training.

This is probably adding to the frustration. It's like waiting until Christmas to play with the new toys we have

Remove this Banner Ad

Back