Tips for avoiding Jetlag

Remove this Banner Ad

Did this and was up and about next day. TBH I've always found coming back to Australia the problem. Combination of red eye flight, sitting for a long long period (long story) and the ******* freezing weather seizing the joints up. Otherwise like I never left. :'(
Its always harder when you go forward in time - even with trying to set yourself to the arrival time as soon as you board the plane, it never gets easier

I've been a regular long haul flyer for over 20 years, and I've tried pretty much everything to help cure jet lag, including many of the suggestions in this thread. However one solution that hasn't been mentioned, which has worked the best for me, is Pycnogenol. It's an all natural pine bark extract in capsules. You take it a day or 2 before fly, then every morning once you've landed, and it completely rids you for the day of that cloud-headedness feeling, eliminates that funky haze. It also helps you sleep better.

Can buy it at a chemist over the counter, or online with Amazon.

Not a tip for jet lag per se but book flights that leave in the morning. Don't assume you'll fall asleep comfortably in a crappy plane chair.

I've been flying long haul since a kid at the start of the jet age [I am now in my 70's lol as they say]. Back when the pilots used to wander back and give kids pilot air badges. TransPac with fuel stops in Fiji/Hawaii en route, until the non-stop PanAm/QF truncated 747SP. Looked like Dumbo, but @41K feet did the job. Upstairs bar. No M/E tax [security screens etc].

Then in my professional career - long haul everywhere around the planet. When flatbeds arrived in the early '90's it made business travel much better - getting a good sleep is important for jet lag.

Fortunately all my business travel was First Class [Business when First not available] including the ridiculously opulent private cabins in the A380 - but for me it was the flat bed. When flatbeds migrated to Business I was quite happy there - altho today's BC in most airlines is by comparison to back in the day, crap.

I remember once when I flew Singapore Air Seoul - Singapore - Kuwait, after an exhausting set of negotiations in Korea. The SQ lady wheeled out the trolley, made me a Bloody Mary, then the caviar mix, all done a la carte, and fussed over me until I said - Honey, appreciate it, but I gotta sleep.

Most folk in First then were on business - not there to be pampered.

I remember when I was the only person in First sometimes - sign of the times, and First is disappearing...

Now retired I fly coach/economy, but choose my airlines when at the back, re legroom etc. Yeah, it was nice in First, with the First lounges, limos etc - but unless I'm traveling with my wife, Economy does me now.

Anyway...My jetlag tips? Pick a plane with hi humidity, low noise, high pressurization. Those 3 factors are huge in reducing jet lag. A380 and Boeing Dreamliner are good at this. Eat before the flight - don't eat too much airline food. Drink alcohol - 3 gin and tonics will relax you. The alcohol thing re jetlag is BS. Then drink water later. Get out of your seat every 2 hours or so. Adopt local time and on arrival go to bed on local time.

On arrival, years ago, I used to shine a torch on the back of my knees as they thought that light shone on the remnant and fugitive reptilian sensors located there would help re-calibrate one's clock. But it never worked. Perhaps I failed to to sufficiently reprise my inner reptile...

I've been flying long haul since a kid at the start of the jet age [I am now in my 70's lol as they say]. Back when the pilots used to wander back and give kids pilot air badges. TransPac with fuel stops in Fiji/Hawaii en route, until the non-stop PanAm/QF truncated 747SP. Looked like Dumbo, but @41K feet did the job. Upstairs bar. No M/E tax [security screens etc].

Then in my professional career - long haul everywhere around the planet. When flatbeds arrived in the early '90's it made business travel much better - getting a good sleep is important for jet lag.

Fortunately all my business travel was First Class [Business when First not available] including the ridiculously opulent private cabins in the A380 - but for me it was the flat bed. When flatbeds migrated to Business I was quite happy there - altho today's BC in most airlines is by comparison to back in the day, crap.

I remember once when I flew Singapore Air Seoul - Singapore - Kuwait, after an exhausting set of negotiations in Korea. The SQ lady wheeled out the trolley, made me a Bloody Mary, then the caviar mix, all done a la carte, and fussed over me until I said - Honey, appreciate it, but I gotta sleep.

Most folk in First then were on business - not there to be pampered.

I remember when I was the only person in First sometimes - sign of the times, and First is disappearing...

Now retired I fly coach/economy, but choose my airlines when at the back, re legroom etc. Yeah, it was nice in First, with the First lounges, limos etc - but unless I'm traveling with my wife, Economy does me now.

Anyway...My jetlag tips? Pick a plane with hi humidity, low noise, high pressurization. Those 3 factors are huge in reducing jet lag. A380 and Boeing Dreamliner are good at this. Eat before the flight - don't eat too much airline food. Drink alcohol - 3 gin and tonics will relax you. The alcohol thing re jetlag is BS. Then drink water later. Get out of your seat every 2 hours or so. Adopt local time and on arrival go to bed on local time.

On arrival, years ago, I used to shine a torch on the back of my knees as they thought that light shone on the remnant and fugitive reptilian sensors located there would help re-calibrate one's clock. But it never worked. Perhaps I failed to to sufficiently reprise my inner reptile...

I reckon the flat bed is he biggest thing. If you can fly from here to Europe and get plenty of sleep you can arrive there fresh as a daisy. Now that I am also retired and time isn't an issue I'll probably opt for economy unless I can get bargain business class. IMO the difference between BC and FC is not worth the money.

Personally I never drink alcohol during my flights. It seems to reset the jet lag quicker. It might depend on the person.

Have an 8ball of coke waiting for you while you're clearing customs.

Sure thing ... once I win Powerball.
You don’t have to win Powerball, there are plenty of options to get Business class tickets at affordable prices if you are willing to do some research. I agree it’s tough from Australia but it can be done. Repositioning to Asian ports is just one way, Manila, Jakarta and KL are usually the best so purchase a cheap return economy ticket to there for the shorter legs and then there are often really good prices from there. Qatar Airways and Etihad in particular often have return flights to Europe from Asia for $2-3k. Saudia who are quite a nice airline to fly are offering Athens to KL return for $790 one way or $1100 return. Redemption flights are always great if you can find availability and by churning CC’s you can get a bounty of points to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back