Secondary Tips for QCS Test (Qld seniors only)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Teacher

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Greetings Viewers

As a Year 12 co-ordinator at my school (a southside state high school), I've spent a bit of time watching students prepare for thia year's test under the guidance of experienced teachers as well external consultants.

Here's a few pointers I've picked up.......

General

This is not like any test you've done before, in that the QCS aim to spread out the marks across the range - from 66 down to 0. Firstly, they do this by setting out the paper very differently from what your normal teacher does. Who said we aren't on your side. For example instructions can sometimes be found across 2 pages. The marking values can actually be changed after the test - so a 4 star question becomes 5 stars if this helps with the spread.

Answer all questions - no responses are death.

Get the idea?!!!

Anyway the manipulation is the same for everone, so that makes it fair for everyone, doesn't it?

Equipment

Make certain you exactly the right gear for each paper. Schools don't set the rules and there are community supervisors in the room. If you think teachers are devoid of perosnality wait to you see these folk.

Short Response Item

There will be questions which involve analysing a picture/ painting/ photo and a poem - usally worth at least 4 stars each. Look carefully at what the question asks you to do - this is perhaps the most important point of the entire exercise - if they are for a narrative, give them one.

Maths Questions

Did you know that maths questions are based around year 10 srtudnets capabilities. Why? That's the last year that you all did the same level of maths.

Writing Task

Achieve the word limit.

Spend more time planning - write a draft, then give yourself 30 minutes to re-write the final copy. In reviewing - substitute 'big' words for 'small' ones.

For example - The cat sat on the mat, becomes the furry feline reclined across the red Persian rug as the late afternoon sun broke through the lattice covered window.

That's all for now.

Good luck

Dicko

I suck at English so was always going to bomb out on the WT, even an easy one and I managed to write 421 words. Dont know why I wrote about what I did, should have wrote about football. Ah well.

MC was easy, maths was a peice of piss.

Haha yeah I saw that one "scores at a crucial time in the match". Thought just about everyone would do that.

I reckon the SRI will be nuts, compensating for an easier WT.

Yeah thank god that's over...

Was it me, or was the mutliple choice harder than the practice tests? Seemed so much harder. The short response seemed really easy though.

Another few weeks of exams and assignments and then it's all downhill from there on :)

The SR and MC were so bloody easy. Made my usual stupid mistakes by not reading questions properly but dont really care. My written task will fail but the other 3 should be able to pull me up to a C or B overall I reckon.

Yeah thank god that's over...

Was it me, or was the mutliple choice harder than the practice tests? Seemed so much harder. The short response seemed really easy though.

Another few weeks of exams and assignments and then it's all downhill from there on :)

I did think the MCs were harder, moreso yesterday then today. SR was pleasantly easy. Im just glad I never have to do that again!!

meh, would do it again tommorow if I had to. Not really that hard, give me them all again (except the WT) instead of the 3 hour Maths test that I need to get an A in to get a VHA overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back