Tips & Tricks for D&D Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting a Pathfinder game soon and need tips and advice on how to be creative and how to create a good character.

Any tips from veteran adventurers?

Plan ahead. When developing your 1st level character have some idea what you want him to be at 5th and 10th levels. This is really important when it comes to feats and spells. That feat that looks really great on a 1st level character might be next to useless at 5th.

Don't be an Elf. They suck dogs balls and they're weedy little tree huggers that should be hunted down. Also, your party will spend the entire campaign questioning your sexuality.

Plan ahead. When developing your 1st level character have some idea what you want him to be at 5th and 10th levels. This is really important when it comes to feats and spells. That feat that looks really great on a 1st level character might be next to useless at 5th.

Don't be an Elf. They suck dogs balls and they're weedy little tree huggers that should be hunted down. Also, your party will spend the entire campaign questioning your sexuality.
Resist the urge to play chaotic evil. Sounds fun, but usually ends up with your party hating you. Take the time to think up a strong backstory

I'm thinking of becoming a human sorcerer. Sorcerer can be men right?

Pick your spells VERY carefully. You get at most 3 new ones per level, sometimes only 1. You can't afford to pick one that'll be useless in a level or two.

A campaign or two ago I played a favoured soul, like a sorcerer except using cleric spells. Every time I went up a level I'd spend ages reading all the source books to pick the right three spells.

I usually went with one heal-type spell, one party-protection or buff spell and one blast-em spell.

I stuffed up occasionally. 'Slay Living' seemed like a good idea at the time but it was a touch spell and I rarely got close enough to anyone to cast it.

Last edited:
Bards are a lot stronger than you might think at first glance. They can gather information from the lowly town bum to the highest of aristocrats, blend in anywhere, they can make the whole party have more powerful attacks, better odds at skill and difficulty checks. Charisma is their primary stat for spells, but healthy Con, Dex and Str are recommended.

Druids are a force to be reckoned with, they have various nature and elemental type spells that are beneficial to the party and can lay waste single-handedly with spells like "creeping doom". Wisdom is their primary stat for spells.

Paladins are very hard to play for you first time.You'll always get a dick DM/GM who'll make you face a tricky decision that will cost you your alignment and hence be cast out of favour of your god. You'll need strong stats across the board to pull it off.

Casters like Sorcs and Wizards need meat shields in the party because they get squished very easily in the lower levels. Poor saves, no armour and you can only cast magic missile so many times before that barbarian clobbers you. Wizards use INT as their casting stat, and Sorcs use CHA

Every party should have a Cleric, they can heal your wounds, and if you're in an undead heavy campaign they can banish them. Primary stat Wisdom, CHA is used for Turn Undead purposes.

Barbarians/Fighters are generally meh. How they start is pretty much how they finish. But you do need someone to play them for the lower levels. Barbarians really only need to worry about STR and CON scores, whereas Fighters generally need a solid INT score as well (13 should be enough).

Rangers are pretty solid. Good fighting skills, you'll have to pick either two-weapon fighting or the Bow and you'll get the feats regardless of whether your stats qualify you for them or not.

Rogues are awesome. depending on which style of rogue you'd like its hard to say which stat is best. Keep all your trap related skills maxed (search,spot, disable device,open lock, et al), keep your stealthy ranks high and you should be able to move across a battle well enough to avoid giving attacks of opportunities.

I think thats all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back