Autopsy 'Tis but a scratch - injury time -v- Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Rory Lobb requesting a trade would be to money, so we should expect a pick in the 15 to 25 range.
Lobb is not going to request a trade haha! We would have to put him on the trade table and shop him around.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Lobb kicked that difficult snap on the run not long before his stupid set shot. He nailed that earlier goal, and no doubt this played a part in him trying to kick it the same way. Everyone around me started moaning as he set up for a snap, I think half the crowd knew what was going to happen.

Apart from that, I think he is being harshly treated. Playing on the number 1 defender (or multiple defenders), and not with the greatest delivery. I can see that some might say he ran under the flight of the ball. Maybe a few times, but a lot of the time the ball was poorly kicked and gave him little chance. Wherever Lobb was, it was usually filled with white jumpers a long time before the ball could get there. He didn't have a great game, but it wasn't easy for him and he worked his backside off and competed hard.

My two cents.
Midfield got owned, not with effort but with system, accountability, movement and disposal.
I know we need a KPF but if you can’t see we need a gun mid - even if Cerra stays then we are dreaming.
The game is won between the 50m arcs and although we are serviceable we are a long way off elite - it’s because apart from Cerra and Mundy we use the ball terribly.
Brayshaw is a gun.
Serong blazes away but will only get better.
Fyfe is a bull but average by foot and when he can’t get to contests like last night and impose himself aerially he struggles.
Blakely so disappointing.... sorry fella.
Acres - very poor by foot and waddles around to each contest.
Again on the scoreboard when we had the chances we didn’t get maximum reward for effort.

Needs:
- Shai Bolton type for the midfield who can impact forward.
- Hindsight- get Naughton, he is something else - have rarely seen someone that can consistently take a grab like that, if he could kick he would be the best talin the comp.
- Better run with injuries, if only during this season we could have blooded more games into Young and Chapman. That really hurts apart from the obvious injuries to established players.

If Cerra leaves we need a quality mid as our first pick and Jason Horne is the only one that seems to be that mid-forward elite.
No chance of pick 1 but that elite ball using mid is our biggest need - probably even if Cerra stays.
Really need both Willians and van Rooyen as well, don’t know how we get them - would need to give up something- but this list needs something radical to be done to flip it and have a big change in quality.

I must have been at another game last night, all I saw was a bunch of blokes in purple chasing a really well structured group of speed machines. The dogs positioning around the contest was way beyond anything we could counter and their transition was fast with multiple options. Their forward efficiency was so far in front of ours it was laughable and the way their forwards attacked the ball to ours was chalk to cheese. The bullies are a well drilled side and to be honest the score line was flattering our way. I’m still waiting on “Young Henry” to show physicality and his second attempts need a lot of work but I agree the signs are positive. Treacy is a find. As for the turnovers inside their F50 ug, but I’ll be there next week to probably more of the same with an once of expectation at a glimpse of what a new group of debutants can offer.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Really agree with most of this, apart from Henry- he is trying his arse off to get involved, his is a slow burn especially in a forward line with such inconsistent entry efficiency.
At the game you can see the whole ground where you can see the movement and gut running.
Some critics should get to games to watch this instead of commenting on what the cameras show you.
You can pick an armchair critic from a person who has played footy.....??

I've tried writing something but I am lost for a response.

I am struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have zero ideas for fixing it. It won't be a quick fix and I don't believe just sacking everyone is the answer (except for Acres, he should be sacked like a potato).

If the board believes the current coach is the long term answer, back him in and give him a contract extension but if he cooks it the board will have to go. I am struggling to have any faith in the current direction of the club and it seems our reasons for failure are the same every year.

+'s
Treacy - a legitimate leading forward that actually leads at the ball carrier and doesn't stand in the goal square waving it to be dropped on his head. And he kicks STRAIGHT!!!!

Henry - glimpses of a crumbling small forward we haven't had for a long time.

-'s
Andy's goal - yes it was a good kick. But it was a 1% chance of nailing it. Watch it on replay and there were 3 or 4 Freo players wide open directly in front, he should have passed.

Injuries - opportunities now for anyone who is healthy

Lobb - so much potential...

Acres - I fail to understand how he still gets a game.

I've tried writing something but I am lost for a response.

I am struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have zero ideas for fixing it. It won't be a quick fix and I don't believe just sacking everyone is the answer (except for Acres, he should be sacked like a potato).

If the board believes the current coach is the long term answer, back him in and give him a contract extension but if he cooks it the board will have to go. I am struggling to have any faith in the current direction of the club and it seems our reasons for failure are the same every year.
How did you pick Acres as the one sacking from that game? Easily one of our best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did you pick Acres as the one sacking from that game? Easily one of our best.

It is a hill I have chosen to die on.

And as I said in the game day thread, that will be his one good game that he sucks people back in with until next week when he goes back to 10 touches and shirking the contest.

Can't believe we are playing him in the ruck like he did at St Kilda. It's great.

I’ve been critical of Acres here but I thought it was his best game of the season yesterday. However one swallow doesn’t make a summer. He was reasonable yesterday but not in out “bests” or anywhere near it. If he can deliver 8 or 9 games like that for the reminder of the season I’ll change my mind on him.
On a separate note - Tim English is overrated. Pretty embarrassing for him that Acres was beating him in ruck contests at times.
Darcy is miles ahead of Tim English

Lobb's kicking is mainly just mental. He can overcome it so we shouldn't be giving up on him yet.

It is a hill I have chosen to die on.

And as I said in the game day thread, that will be his one good game that he sucks people back in with until next week when he goes back to 10 touches and shirking the contest.

Can't believe we are playing him in the ruck like he did at St Kilda. It's great.
Yesterday was his best game this year, but the last few weeks have been fine. He's not a star but **** me is he a whipping boy.

An absolute mile from being a serious issue for us.
I’ve been critical of Acres here but I thought it was his best game of the season yesterday. However one swallow doesn’t make a summer. He was reasonable yesterday but not in out “bests” or anywhere near it. If he can deliver 8 or 9 games like that for the reminder of the season I’ll change my mind on him.
On a separate note - Tim English is overrated. Pretty embarrassing for him that Acres was beating him in ruck contests at times.
Darcy is miles ahead of Tim English
See above on Acres.

Agree Darcy is a better player than English.

Just started rewatching the game now... holy s**t, the difference in the frees Bont gets for 'holding' compared to the treatment Fyfe got last week with no assistance. FMD.

Yesterday was his best game this year, but the last few weeks have been fine. He's not a star but **** me is he a whipping boy.

An absolute mile from being a serious issue for us.

See above on Acres.

Agree Darcy is a better player than English.

The recruitment of him and players like him are not helping us become successful.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Lobb kicked that difficult snap on the run not long before his stupid set shot. He nailed that earlier goal, and no doubt this played a part in him trying to kick it the same way. Everyone around me started moaning as he set up for a snap, I think half the crowd knew what was going to happen.

Apart from that, I think he is being harshly treated. Playing on the number 1 defender (or multiple defenders), and not with the greatest delivery. I can see that some might say he ran under the flight of the ball. Maybe a few times, but a lot of the time the ball was poorly kicked and gave him little chance. Wherever Lobb was, it was usually filled with white jumpers a long time before the ball could get there. He didn't have a great game, but it wasn't easy for him and he worked his backside off and competed hard.

Exactly. He's not a #1 and we didn't bring him in to be a #1. Tabs clearly helps things up forward. Give Tracey another season or so and he'll be cruising along as our #2. I don't fault the club for drafting Cerra and Brayshaw, but a Naughton in our forward line would make Lobb look 100% better. What we are missing is a marking beast i50. Fyfe was supposed to help in this department this year, but our young mids (who are not even 22 yo) are just not up to it at the moment.

The recruitment of him and players like him are not helping us become successful.
They are not setting us back either. We basically got him for free after losing both our wingers. He is serviceable most games, occasionally ordinary and occasionally great. Acres may not be a premiership winger (although his best is easily good enough to be), but if you have angst to get out, he is so far from where I would target.

Curse whatever the cause/s of our injuries. I would put them as 75% of our problems with big ticket trades (Hogan and Lobb) combining 20% and someone like Acres occupying maybe 0.01%.

Geez the difference in the marking strength of Lobb and Naughton is stark, which is annoying because we know Lobb *can* clunk them like that when he's on.

If Lobb could mark like Naughton he too would have the opportunity to kick 1.5 every game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back