Autopsy 'Tis but a scratch - injury time -v- Bulldogs

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I'd argue he's the anti-Fyfe.

Every mistake of Fyfe's is amplified because we expect him to be perfect, every good thing Acres does is amplified because we expect him to f*ck everything up.

I'm halfway through the last qtr and while there was a few things I congratulated Acres for, they were still all counted on one hand, while I feel like he still messed up more than that.
Very harsh. He wasn’t close to our worst. Stood up against their fast, big guys. Not afraid to get inside and provide grunt. He is surprisingly strong and intelligent in the ruck. Every player made mistakes last night, more or less. Acres didn’t stand out in that area, sure he missed a handball here and there, however he wasn’t a passenger much like Schulz, Tucker, Lobb were at times.

Aish did great things then did poor things. Went back with the flight a few times, probably flinched due to expecting impact, dropped a few marks.

Only one that can replace Acres is Bewley. But he will probably come in and Aish goes half back for Wilson.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Man, I was so excited about the prospect of us getting our preferred backline set up with each player in the role they thrive in

Pearce - Locking down gorilla KPFs
Logue - 2nd tall, depending on match-up. Logue's greatest weakness IMO are being overly confident where he should be spoiling rather than trying to win the contest and getting lost on occasions. We are playing him on the 1st tall out of necessity but he'd look a lot better on 2nd talls where he will win most 1 on 1 contests and not be punished as badly for getting lost.
Cox - Roaming third tall, he's not a 1 on 1 defender which is why we prefer Logue on the big boys rather than him. It's why almost every contest win from Cox is coming back or from the side, he hates a wrestle. He's OK as 2nd tall where they arent as good as the big guys
Ryan - roam around doing whatever the fu** he wants because he reads the play better than anyone else in the game just about

It was FINALLY going to happen this week or sometime soon but we all know Cox is out for the year and I have no faith AP wont be an amputee by round 1 next year.
Cox loss early vs Naughton, then I thought he got the better of him as time went on. Sure Naughton marked, but gee some of them were elite level. More deflated at Cox’s then of the three

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I swear that kick by Treacy for his second goal from 50 out was the purest set shot kick from distance this club has seen since Pav retired. I defy anyone to show me vision from the last five years of a single set shot to rival it's effortless competence. Maybe Cam Mac might have been closest? That's great for Treacy, disgusting that five years of professional football hasn't seen a single player on our list that can do this.

Shane Kersten was a beautiful kick for goal too. Couldn't do anything else though.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Jesus, that late free on the goal line against Wilson that cost us a goal.

How can anyone argue umpires don't have an effect on games when that would have been let go 95% of the time for some teams but not others?

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Jesus... that double act from the umps when they ping Serong for the 'push' on Daniels that the Dogs goal from followed by pinging Serong for 'HTB' at the centre clearance.

No way in the world that was HTB, clearly a punishment free for Serong disagreeing with the previous bullshit call.

you talk about the soft frees to Bont.
First bounce after the free against Wilson.
Libba walks Fyfe under the ball with both arms around him. It’s this sort of inconsistencies that boil my piss

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
He only has one year left so he could be traded as if he got 3/4 years you can spread the money out. We could only do it if we were sure we could bring in at least two 195cm+ forwards in the draft this year though.

I think he is still worth around 500k due to the rarity of decent fwd/rucks. As frustrating as he is, he is still better than 90% of them.
What a ******* indictment that is on the quality of fwd/rucks out there then. Bloody hell.

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
3.30 to go in the last... if that isn't an absolute textbook arm chop on Brayshaw. In fact it wasn't even an arm chop, it was a complete grab of the arm and drag backwards.

Compare that to the tiggy touchwood s**t the Dogs were getting in marking contests all night. Every game is easy when you're playing on cheat mode.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
And there’s that dopey prI know Chamberlain looking right at the Bulldogs guy throw the ball out of the pack. The ball goes to Weightman and then Ray gives another horse sh*t free against Wilson on the goal line. fu** me
Why do this to yourself on your day off mate haha.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Taking the legs is the worst free there is. Completely handicaps the bloke going for the ball, happened to JJ just earlier than this one. JJ and Walters should both have been rewarded for attacking the ball, instead theyve given away frees. Stupid stupid rule.

The rule was brought in to stop players sliding into contests. Eg. Mr Goodes. The way it is being interpreted lately, is totally wrong. Reward the ball winner.

If you slide in, throw the rule book at them.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
That ended up being a decent effort under extreme injury duress. We could have been annihilated if not for some real ticker shown by the boys in the final quarter. Getting 2 goals late in the final quarter after the injury crisis was commendable.

While the effort was great the skills were just the opposite. Regardless of Lobb's preference for his schoolboy round the corner kicks on goal the team takes precedence once the rest of the team has worked their guts out to get the ball to him and he must be told to kick the ball straight at the goals.

Treacy with three goals was very good and Liam Henry not too bad either. Best games by them both in a loosing cause is a good sign.

The standard of umpiring inconsistency in the AFL is baffling to say the least.

Adam Cerra may have good skills and poise but has he ever received a bruise? I thought he needed to step up a lot more than he did last night. Just my opinion as a very disappointed onlooker of last nights game.
+'s
Treacy - a legitimate leading forward that actually leads at the ball carrier and doesn't stand in the goal square waving it to be dropped on his head. And he kicks STRAIGHT!!!!

Henry - glimpses of a crumbling small forward we haven't had for a long time.

-'s
Andy's goal - yes it was a good kick. But it was a 1% chance of nailing it. Watch it on replay and there were 3 or 4 Freo players wide open directly in front, he should have passed.

Injuries - opportunities now for anyone who is healthy

Lobb - so much potential...

Acres - I fail to understand how he still gets a game.
I have no problem with Brayshaw pinging at goals whenever the opportunity arises.
We need more goal scoring from our mids and the more they going the more confident and accurate they wil get .
Nothing does my head in more than watching them mucking around with the ball in the forward 50 and then watching it turnover and bounce out .
“ Have a ping and then lock it in !”

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have no problem with Brayshaw pinging at goals whenever the opportunity arises.
We need more goal scoring from our mids and the more they going the more confident and accurate they wil get .
Nothing does my head in more than watching them mucking around with the ball in the forward 50 and then watching it turnover and bounce out .
“ Have a ping and then lock it in !”
Yeah I watched Brayshaw's goal closely tonight (because he's up for goal of the year this week along with Henry) and yes there were Freo players free in the corridor but they were behind him so not the easiest to execute when you think you've got a player on your hammer.

Criticising him for going for goal is laughable.

+'s
Treacy - a legitimate leading forward that actually leads at the ball carrier and doesn't stand in the goal square waving it to be dropped on his head. And he kicks STRAIGHT!!!!

Henry - glimpses of a crumbling small forward we haven't had for a long time.

-'s
Andy's goal - yes it was a good kick. But it was a 1% chance of nailing it. Watch it on replay and there were 3 or 4 Freo players wide open directly in front, he should have passed.

Injuries - opportunities now for anyone who is healthy

Lobb - so much potential...

Acres - I fail to understand how he still gets a game.
If you watch the after goal replay it looks to me like AB would have be passing to about 4 Doggies players, absolutely the best decision to have a ping

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't know if it was Lobb and/or the kickers but he was not in the right position for the vast majority of those marking attempts yesterday. Running underneath or sat on his head.
Kicking constantly to him was dumb football
Was always outnumbered .
Same as the week before against Port .
Was an opportunity gone begging to lower their eyes and work it in through the smalls .
Or if a bomb was the only option then utilise Treacy and crumb .

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
The rule was brought in to stop players sliding into contests. Eg. Mr Goodes. The way it is being interpreted lately, is totally wrong. Reward the ball winner.

If you slide in, throw the rule book at them.
It was brought in because Sydney moaned long and hard about Gary Rohan breaking his ankle when Lindsay Thomas slid in to collect the ball in the wet.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it kickers or Lobb?

A little bit of both. We routinely kick to the deepest option which makes us very easy to defend. So that's on the kickers.

But when you watch Lobb live, he is very ordinary at creating space and getting himself some separation. He does much better at taking the contested mark in the pack from down-the-line kick. Which is more about positioning yourself in the pack, rather than making a proactive lead at the kicker.

In short, he is a poor Full Forward and a much better around-the-ground ruck or half forward. Which is what he has shown his whole career.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's totally weird. He doesn't even look to be doing anything strenuous at all.
Sometimes they are just so loaded up they just snap , you can hear them Go.
Have done mine twice and calf tear once .
That huge black bruise on the back of Darcy’s thigh looked like clotting from the Hammy tear but probably wouldn’t see that till the next day ? Must have been a contact bruise ?

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sliding in to play the ball on the ground is extremely dangerous, especially with amount of night footy we play now. We should all be glad we have this rule.

My bold prediction: sometime in the future it will be illegal to taken possession of the footy when on the ground. Similar to the way you must stand on your feet in the ruck to play the ball in rugby union. No more slide or diving etc on the ball at all. This change will ultimately be driven by OH&S concerns.

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sliding in to play the ball on the ground is extremely dangerous, especially with amount of night footy we play now. We should all be glad we have this rule.

My bold prediction: sometime in the future it will be illegal to taken possession of the footy when on the ground. Similar to the way you must stand on your feet in the ruck to play the ball in rugby union. No more slide or diving etc on the ball at all. This change will ultimately be driven by OH&S concerns.
No way, go in lower and harder. Rohan is a dumb footballer and was unprepared for any contact.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
No way, go in lower and harder. Rohan is a dumb footballer and was unprepared for any contact.
That's the way I was taught to play footy too. But it won't be about the way we have always played. It will be about trying to make the AFL workplace safe to avoid lawsuits. Like the way rules (or at least interprerations) have changed re head-high contact and the bump.

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's the way I was taught to play footy too. But it won't be about the way we have always played. It will be about trying to make the AFL workplace safe to avoid lawsuits. Like the way rules (or at least interprerations) have changed re head-high contact and the bump.
Concussion is very different to leg injuries IMO.

Back