Review Titanium-edged Giants beat the over-rated Dishlickers

Remove this Banner Ad

How you gonna go next week mate ? Win win ? Haha

I know the feeling haha. It's actually quite tough especially finals being a dual supporter

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wife already offered to send me up. I don't think I can justify it - I'd much rather watch one of the teams flog a third party.

Review from my favourite AFL media https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/09/08/eliminationgwsdogs.

Just a few snippets:

The Greater Western Sydney Giants played a brand of football that completely stopped the seemingly irrepressible Bulldog style of play, with no easy possessions for the running Dogs at any point after the first 30 seconds. The Giants overwhelmed them with pressure and power. There were no easy touches and without their prime movers controlling the play, the rest of the team floundered. With an inside 50 count of 76-37, if anything, the score line flattered the Dogs.

The Giants sent Matt de Boer to the Dogs’ match winner, Marcus Bontempelli, and what ensued was an enthralling battle between the two, but there were other huge wins for the Giants, with Heath Shaw and Phil Davis stifling the Bulldog forwards and the GWS mids working overtime to limit the influence of Josh Dunkley, whose second half of the season was as good as anyone in the league.

As de Boer continued to dismantle Bont, I got to wondering just where GWS would be placed had Ben Cunnington not dumped de Boer on his shoulder and injured him during the season. Could de Boer’s presence be so important to the Giants that they could be a top four team with him in the line up? Could his diligence and commitment have been the difference in some games. And could de Boer be the player that tips the scales in GWS’ favour in the finals?

I love writing about this bloke, simply because no one else does! Jacob Hopper is the best young contested ball player in the league that you never hear about. I hate saying dumb things like this, as I reckon it devalues the Giants somewhat, but if he were playing for Carlton or Collingwood, commentators would be falling all over themselves to heap praise on him. Maybe it’s time they started paying attention to the kid in orange and charcoal in the same way they do to Tim Kelly or Sam Walsh. His 26.7 touches per game has them both covered for disposals, and his 14.1 contested touches does the same in that category. Teaming with Tim Taranto, they could the best one-two midfield punch under 23 years old in the league. Love the game of Tim Taranto. Often overlooked (just like Hopper… there seems to be something about GWS mids), he is such a complete package. He had 28 touches at 82% efficiency, ten score involvements, seven clearances, 11 inside 50s and five tackles… and the five tackles would be considered pretty low for him.

It almost deserves a section of its own, but Lachie Whitfield's gut run down the wing to receive an amazing over-the-head handball from Jacob Hopper was incredible. As others all but conceded the ball was going out of bounds, Whitfield kept those legs pumping, managed to keep the ball in play and got a kick away to the goal square. It was there a tackle from Toby Greene knocked the ball free and Harry Himmelberg converted from the goal square. Whitfield finished with 30 touches to lead the Giants with Hopper, and laid six tackles, but it was his 698 metres gained that was the key stat for him. Many consider that stat overrated, and I agree that it can be at times, but when it involves Whitfield, you know that he is gaining metres and breaking the hearts of opponents at the same time.

There has been a few times this season where I’ve watched Heath Shaw play footy and I’ve wondered how long he had left. He’s made some big errors at times and become a bit of a hacker off half back at times. But he turned the clock back today, and he did it with one of the best captains in the game by his side. Shaw and Davis put on a defensive clinic down back, with Davis able to alternate between Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache, whilst Shaw took responsibility for Bailey Dale and Sam Lloyd at times. It was a comprehensive victory to the Giants defenders.

Oh I love to watch Toby Greene play. He pushes buttons, yanks chains, ruffles feathers and if he ever had the misfortunate to be stuck in a lift with three or four opposition players, he’d be the one to fart and smile. His football persona is one of an absolute ass… and I love it. Players who talk the talk and back it up by walking the walk are rare. You have others that pose and posture… Jake Stringer leaps to mind, but where was Stringer when the finals rolled around? Where was the big performance to back up the bravado? It was nowhere to be seen. You cannot say the same for Toby Greene. He stepped up in this game and made a big statement, finishing with 20 touches and three goals in a fantastic display of a medium forward playing tall. We’ll get to his treatment by the umpires in a little bit, but Greene is a difference maker in this league, and the fact is there just are not that many of them – not true game changers.

This might just be a personal thing, but I love a player with a bit of Mongrel in them, and I love a player with a bit of swagger, and Jeremy Finlayson had both today. After slicing through the contest at a forward 50 stoppage in the second quarter, he let the Bulldog fans in attendance know all about it as he slotted a goal from the goal square. Finlayson repeated the dose in the third quarter to break the game open as Brent Daniels went to ground unexpectedly. The ball spilt to Finlayson, who bounced through a checkside kick from 40 out on the run. As the ball bounced through, Finlayson eyeballed the Bulldog fans in attendance and held a finger up to his lips. He knew what that goal meant. He knew that he had just swung the momentum his team’s way, and he wanted to let them all know about it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the team so many have feared for years, and they flexed their muscles at the expense of the Western Bulldogs this afternoon. It must have felt so satisfying.

Yes, I was a little bit harsh. I was just sick of the disrespect so many Dogs supporters show towards our club.

Sick of the disrespect shouldn’t be compounded by repeating it. After spending years trying to get the word banned from the main board, to come onto our own board and see it in a thread title wasn’t particularly pleasant. I have no interest whatsoever in “reclaiming” it - it is certainly nowhere near the “only a ginger can call another ginger ginger” attitude that some groups have that was parodied in that song.

So thanks for changing it.

Btw, you don’t need to tone down your descriptor of our opponents - it’s our board we can call them what’re the Ef we like (they have thread titles galore calling us the P word on their board which I couldn’t care less about) so “overrated scum-sucking-a$$hole dishlickers” would have been absolutely fine by me because it’s true.

Review from my favourite AFL media https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/09/08/eliminationgwsdogs.
I love writing about this bloke, simply because no one else does! Jacob Hopper is the best young contested ball player in the league that you never hear about. I hate saying dumb things like this, as I reckon it devalues the Giants somewhat, but if he were playing for Carlton or Collingwood, commentators would be falling all over themselves to heap praise on him. Maybe it’s time they started paying attention to the kid in orange and charcoal in the same way they do to Tim Kelly or Sam Walsh. His 26.7 touches per game has them both covered for disposals, and his 14.1 contested touches does the same in that category. Teaming with Tim Taranto, they could the best one-two midfield punch under 23 years old in the league. Love the game of Tim Taranto. Often overlooked (just like Hopper… there seems to be something about GWS mids), he is such a complete package. He had 28 touches at 82% efficiency, ten score involvements, seven clearances, 11 inside 50s and five tackles… and the five tackles would be considered pretty low for him.

You missed the best line from the Hopper bit...

“He’s flying so far under the radar he has gravel rash on his stomach.”

Yep.

Really good article, thanks for the link.

This is not ideal. But unfortunately very true. I have said it multiple times throughout the year

The twitter coments on there are a joke, the PA is used widely around the league, it was also on every news in Melb that Dogs fans couldnt board flights because of the wind.

Where did this s#*t about crowd noise over the PA cone from? I read it in the main board game day thread when I got home. I know I’m getting old and slightly hard of hearing but there was no crowd noise through the PA that I heard. The “make some nnoooiiissseee” videos on the scoreboard got a bit annoying but we were loud without the help of the PA.

But hey, Truth vs Narrative. We’re not winning that one I suppose

BTW, I am enjoying the saltiness of (most) Doggies' supporters comments across various threads on BF. Their tears, excuses and s**t-throwing is a joy to behold. Ferals. (Apologies to the small percentage of Doggies' supporters who have shown class in their balanced comments - you deserve respect.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little surprised to see some Brisbane supporters on their board running with the "plastics" and "no supporters" cards.

Thought a team from a non traditional AFL state may be a bit more understanding

Obviously not

Let's smash these Lionesses

Sorry Dlanod

I see one reference to "plastics"? I guess that's "some", but there were more people calling out a user calling GWS last week than total uses of "plastic".

Yaaaaaaaasaasssssssssssssss!!!!

That was a very good win for GWS.

Look with that effort there is no reason GWS cannot at least make the Grand Final if not win it and who is to say the Giants cannot win in.

There are no super teams in 2019!!!!

Brisbane are easily gettable. They were helped by a good draw are inexperienced and surely an intense full effort of the Giants can test them.

Then if GWS get through that Collingwood without De Grey and other possible weaknesses are gettable as well.

Even if GWS get into the Grand Final West Coast or Richmond and Geelong can be trumped at the G.

No reason GWS cannot dare to dream and provide full effort for the rest of the season!!!

Well done guys well done, so happy you smashed those pretenders. Bloody the media hype around them i almost wanted to vomit. Well done, by the way Josh Kelly looked slick yesterday wow

Where did this s#*t about crowd noise over the PA cone from? I read it in the main board game day thread when I got home. I know I’m getting old and slightly hard of hearing but there was no crowd noise through the PA that I heard. The “make some nnoooiiissseee” videos on the scoreboard got a bit annoying but we were loud without the help of the PA.

Yeah it was there... giants chants were played over the pa. Personally I thought it was a bit lame but I think we need it to encourage our often quiet observer crowds to get loud

BTW, I am enjoying the saltiness of (most) Doggies' supporters comments across various threads on BF. Their tears, excuses and s**t-throwing is a joy to behold. Ferals. (Apologies to the small percentage of Doggies' supporters who have shown class in their balanced comments - you deserve respect.)

With the way the Bulldogs have been carrying on, here's a famous quote from Mark Twain:

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured".

Let's just focus on next week.

I was on the sunny side wing for the game and there were two different chants that came over the speaker system.
My wife thought it was Michael S’. Maybe a recording?

Congrats on the win yesterday. You guys were far too good. And commiserations about Toby Greene being reported for clawing at Bonts face. He’s not dirty. He’s just misunderstood.

Haven’t seen the footage but if it is an eye gouge then 12 weeks and no sympathy.

Absolutely no place in any game for low acts like an eye gouge. None whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back