1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
There is nothing in main stream news about any report for eye gouging.

do you have a link.

Well done yesterday. Loved the physicality. Felt bruised just watching it.

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Review from my favourite AFL media https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/09/08/eliminationgwsdogs.

Just a few snippets:

The Greater Western Sydney Giants played a brand of football that completely stopped the seemingly irrepressible Bulldog style of play, with no easy possessions for the running Dogs at any point after the first 30 seconds. The Giants overwhelmed them with pressure and power. There were no easy touches and without their prime movers controlling the play, the rest of the team floundered. With an inside 50 count of 76-37, if anything, the score line flattered the Dogs.

The Giants sent Matt de Boer to the Dogs’ match winner, Marcus Bontempelli, and what ensued was an enthralling battle between the two, but there were other huge wins for the Giants, with Heath Shaw and Phil Davis stifling the Bulldog forwards and the GWS mids working overtime to limit the influence of Josh Dunkley, whose second half of the season was as good as anyone in the league.

As de Boer continued to dismantle Bont, I got to wondering just where GWS would be placed had Ben Cunnington not dumped de Boer on his shoulder and injured him during the season. Could de Boer’s presence be so important to the Giants that they could be a top four team with him in the line up? Could his diligence and commitment have been the difference in some games. And could de Boer be the player that tips the scales in GWS’ favour in the finals?

I love writing about this bloke, simply because no one else does! Jacob Hopper is the best young contested ball player in the league that you never hear about. I hate saying dumb things like this, as I reckon it devalues the Giants somewhat, but if he were playing for Carlton or Collingwood, commentators would be falling all over themselves to heap praise on him. Maybe it’s time they started paying attention to the kid in orange and charcoal in the same way they do to Tim Kelly or Sam Walsh. His 26.7 touches per game has them both covered for disposals, and his 14.1 contested touches does the same in that category. Teaming with Tim Taranto, they could the best one-two midfield punch under 23 years old in the league. Love the game of Tim Taranto. Often overlooked (just like Hopper… there seems to be something about GWS mids), he is such a complete package. He had 28 touches at 82% efficiency, ten score involvements, seven clearances, 11 inside 50s and five tackles… and the five tackles would be considered pretty low for him.

It almost deserves a section of its own, but Lachie Whitfield's gut run down the wing to receive an amazing over-the-head handball from Jacob Hopper was incredible. As others all but conceded the ball was going out of bounds, Whitfield kept those legs pumping, managed to keep the ball in play and got a kick away to the goal square. It was there a tackle from Toby Greene knocked the ball free and Harry Himmelberg converted from the goal square. Whitfield finished with 30 touches to lead the Giants with Hopper, and laid six tackles, but it was his 698 metres gained that was the key stat for him. Many consider that stat overrated, and I agree that it can be at times, but when it involves Whitfield, you know that he is gaining metres and breaking the hearts of opponents at the same time.

There has been a few times this season where I’ve watched Heath Shaw play footy and I’ve wondered how long he had left. He’s made some big errors at times and become a bit of a hacker off half back at times. But he turned the clock back today, and he did it with one of the best captains in the game by his side. Shaw and Davis put on a defensive clinic down back, with Davis able to alternate between Aaron Naughton and Josh Schache, whilst Shaw took responsibility for Bailey Dale and Sam Lloyd at times. It was a comprehensive victory to the Giants defenders.

Oh I love to watch Toby Greene play. He pushes buttons, yanks chains, ruffles feathers and if he ever had the misfortunate to be stuck in a lift with three or four opposition players, he’d be the one to fart and smile. His football persona is one of an absolute ass… and I love it. Players who talk the talk and back it up by walking the walk are rare. You have others that pose and posture… Jake Stringer leaps to mind, but where was Stringer when the finals rolled around? Where was the big performance to back up the bravado? It was nowhere to be seen. You cannot say the same for Toby Greene. He stepped up in this game and made a big statement, finishing with 20 touches and three goals in a fantastic display of a medium forward playing tall. We’ll get to his treatment by the umpires in a little bit, but Greene is a difference maker in this league, and the fact is there just are not that many of them – not true game changers.

This might just be a personal thing, but I love a player with a bit of Mongrel in them, and I love a player with a bit of swagger, and Jeremy Finlayson had both today. After slicing through the contest at a forward 50 stoppage in the second quarter, he let the Bulldog fans in attendance know all about it as he slotted a goal from the goal square. Finlayson repeated the dose in the third quarter to break the game open as Brent Daniels went to ground unexpectedly. The ball spilt to Finlayson, who bounced through a checkside kick from 40 out on the run. As the ball bounced through, Finlayson eyeballed the Bulldog fans in attendance and held a finger up to his lips. He knew what that goal meant. He knew that he had just swung the momentum his team’s way, and he wanted to let them all know about it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the team so many have feared for years, and they flexed their muscles at the expense of the Western Bulldogs this afternoon. It must have felt so satisfying.
First of all GS congratulations on the win. Clearly there was one side playing finals footy and the other side wasn't. The physicality and the obvious strategy of targeting Bont was perfectly reasonable - finals footy. What I would like to respond to is the stuff about Toby Greene. As a doggie person the memory of him in 2016 preliminary final using the soles of his boot to push in Dalhaus's face to prevent him from spoiling a mark is still very clear - a tactic that he has used at other times and one I would suggest is not in the spirit of the game. After all if a player has his eyes on the ball he should not expect a kick in the head. Now he is up on a serious conduct with the vision showing that he is eye gouging Bont - which is significantly more than pushing buttons, yanking chains, and ruffling feathers.

You are correct in labelling Greene as one of the few genuine game changers as he truly is a brilliant footballer. No doubt about it.
What the real shame is that he will not be remembered for his brilliance but as a dirty little grub. And that is disappointing.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
First of all GS congratulations on the win. Clearly there was one side playing finals footy and the other side wasn't. The physicality and the obvious strategy of targeting Bont was perfectly reasonable - finals footy. What I would like to respond to is the stuff about Toby Greene. As a doggie person the memory of him in 2016 preliminary final using the soles of his boot to push in Dalhaus's face to prevent him from spoiling a mark is still very clear - a tactic that he has used at other times and one I would suggest is not in the spirit of the game. After all if a player has his eyes on the ball he should not expect a kick in the head. Now he is up on a serious conduct with the vision showing that he is eye gouging Bont - which is significantly more than pushing buttons, yanking chains, and ruffling feathers.

You are correct in labelling Greene as one of the few genuine game changers as he truly is a brilliant footballer. No doubt about it.
What the real shame is that he will not be remembered for his brilliance but as a dirty little grub. And that is disappointing.
IF he did it.

In the vision shown Bont doesn't react as of eye gouged and neither do the multiple Mutts standing nearby.

But I guess you think Bont is a legend and great human. Even though he broke someone's Larynx.......

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Having now seen the footage, I’m not entirely sure. It certainly looks like he’s pulling hair (stupid) and his hands are in the general vicinity of the face (even stupider) but there also doesn’t appear to be the kind of reaction you see when you see eye gouging.

it will be interesting to see what the Bont has to say when he’s called as a witness. it will be interesting to see what the dog’s medical report says.

Really interesting.

suetonius

All Australian
Apr 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Kansas City Chiefs.
If you need a lift anytime, go have a peek at the Doggies board. It’ll lift your spirits. Hey, honest question... did ‘The Bont’ play yesterday?

I will love to watch the Brisbane Lions kick you out of the finals next week...

Seriously though, you are in the second week of the finals and you have won nothing yet. Until you actually win a premiership (or at least get into a grand final :mask:) it is best to remain humble.

Last edited:

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Having now seen the footage, I’m not entirely sure. It certainly looks like he’s pulling hair (stupid) and his hands are in the general vicinity of the face (even stupider) but there also doesn’t appear to be the kind of reaction you see when you see eye gouging.

it will be interesting to see what the Bont has to say when he’s called as a witness. it will be interesting to see what the dog’s medical report says.

Really interesting.
Don’t agree with what he’s done but ain’t it quaint that they are taking until Tuesday.
Bont got off to play after they rushed through the decision at the MRO. Can’t have an AA and MVP and possible Brownlow contender being done, right?
But it’s Toby, so they’ll screw him if they can.
The video is a bad look for him, and they’ll assume the gouge just because they can. There’s no evidence of cut/scraped skin to warrant an eye gouge but they’ll assume based on the rough hair pulling. It suits them.
When they booed him on Saturday, I took immense joy in starting a TOWWWWBEEEEEEE chant on our wing. Not sure I’ll want to do that going forward. Not a great look.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
At 0:36 it clearly shows that he was pulling his hair.

Hopefully that piece of human garbage gets a lesson from the tribunal.

Can you Dog fans go hump someone else’s leg on another board. Thanks.
You’ve had more than your share of scumbags in your team and the reputation is far lower than ours.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I will love to watch the Brisbane Lions kick you out of the finals next week...

Seriously though, you are in the second week of the finals and you have won nothing yet. Until you actually win a premiership (or at least get into a grand final :mask:) it is best to remain humble.
Lol... go read your own boards threads from games where you have beaten us.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
the idea that Bont will cover for him because players always cover for players and therefore his testimony will be unreliable is pretty weak.

while it is true players tend not to throw other players under the bus, there have always been 3 exceptions. Gouging, biting and spitting. and it is usually instantaneous.

"hey ref/ump, he Effing just gouged me"
"look at these bite marks" etc etc.

there was none of that from the Bont at the time.

but, you know, it's Toby. Guilty until incorrectly let off because the Giants are the AFL love child.

the idea that Bont will cover for him because players always cover for players and therefore his testimony will be unreliable is pretty weak.
They don't let players testify at the tribunal for that reason.

godoggies15

Team Captain
Nov 11, 2014
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The outcome for Toby will be largely determined by whether or not Bontempelli rats him out.
Don't think he will need to "rat" him out....pictures worth a thousand words.....plus I would assume if the foot was on the other foot you would be thinking very differently....the fact is what he did was not necessary, unsportsmanlike and unAustralian

Attachments

• bont.jpeg
    bont.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 94

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Don't think he will need to "rat" him out....pictures worth a thousand words.....plus I would assume if the foot was on the other foot you would be thinking very differently....the fact is what he did was not necessary, unsportsmanlike and unAustralian
Bit like a late his to the larynx?

Tell me... do you have a photo that proves anything more than roughing him up? any injuries?

This is sensationalism at its best

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Are you that biased that you consider Bontempelli's fair play equivalent to Toby Greene's? Or are you just an idiot?
Are you biased that you consider Bonts off the ball high incident breaking someone larynx fair play the same as a hairpull or just an idiot?

I'm going with a 3rd option. You're a *******.

Back