Analysis TK'S LAB ( AKA the bore room ) 🌈

Remove this Banner Ad

* me this is damning.
Oliver and Petracca are below the league average at finding targets inside 50 and we pay them a million each. That's embarrassing and with the amount they have it's a weight around our ankles
Vineys a better kick than them, Spargos the best in the league.

Sparrow should be dropped

IMG_20220808_062839877.jpg

7%! * me. Sparrow has hit a bloke up 4 times for the season. Reckon he had a good game where he managed 2-3 earlier in the year. Hard to believe that rate is possible while kicking it in air.
Even accidentally you should be able to find more than that.

7%! * me. Sparrow has hit a bloke up 4 times for the season. Reckon he had a good game where he managed 2-3 earlier in the year. Hard to believe that rate is possible while kicking it in air.
Looked further, against port in round 4 he had 10 Inside 50s for 0 goals assists

Sparrow is able to launch it further than anyone on our list, except for maybe Petracca and May, and it actually works against him. He seems to think that, when he takes a mark 65-70 out, and because he can kick it a long way, that he should try to get the ball pictured in the next James Webb Telescope image.

To be fair, if he kicked the ball low at Benny Brown, he might snap one of his arms off, so I guess it's a WHS issue.

Anyway, drop him. Not doing anywhere near enough.

Last edited:
Also I don't care if he marks it around the 50, Max Gawn shouldn't be kicking it inside 50 4th most on our team. Give it off for a handball the arrogance he plays with now is annoying

Looked further, against port in round 4 he had 10 Inside 50s for 0 goals assists
I wonder what % would be game plan, decision making/skills and forward craft/talent. Talking more about everyone and not specifically Sparrow.

Spargo has the neat kicking and decision making but also can't kick it 40 metres so he's never going to roost it anyway.

Maybe we should play Salem at half forward, seems he's forgotten how to kick longer than 35 metres so he won't dump it to the goal line or nobody.

Not really making a point here for you to react to, just generally complaining.

I wonder what % would be game plan, decision making/skills and forward craft/talent. Talking more about everyone and not specifically Sparrow.

Spargo has the neat kicking and decision making but also can't kick it 40 metres so he's never going to roost it anyway.

Maybe we should play Salem at half forward, seems he's forgotten how to kick longer than 35 metres so he won't dump it to the goal line or nobody.

Not really making a point here for you to react to, just generally complaining.

I do think if Spargo was going that far against the plan he'd be dropped

* me this is damning.
Oliver and Petracca are below the league average at finding targets inside 50 and we pay them a million each. That's embarrassing and with the amount they have it's a weight around our ankles

View attachment 1470657

Can't drop Spargo on the back of that.

Sparrow needs to go though. Time for Laurie?

Because it's like Watching Brent Moloney all over again.
Dead set, his first instinct is to just bomb the ball away with no awareness of what's up in front of him.

Should have been dropped about 6 weeks ago for his continued poor form.

Goody's reluctance to drop certain plays in bad form just sends a poor message to the 16-0 Casey lads who are busting their backside off for zero reward.

I do think if Spargo was going that far against the plan he'd be dropped
I don't think kicking like a moron is mandatory, but long dump kicks are clearly a part of the plan as an option.

We kinda play like it's Rugby, move it as far as you can and when you get resistance roost it for field position. If you tell players that if you don't have a better option kick it long and wide, most blokes will opt for that as it's easy. Shitty stats will call it an effective kick too!

I wonder if being instructed to kick it to a contest in the pocket has much bearing on these stats?
Surely if they were being told to lower the eyes and pick out targets the % would be much higher, either that or they are all s**t kicks and our forwards don't present on the lead.
edit - Looked up some stats to see how we compare to other teams, nearly highest I50 entries and just above average marks inside 50, Cats are nailing it.
Inside50s.jpg MarksIn50.jpg
and one of my favs
i50.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if being instructed to kick it to a contest in the pocket has much bearing on these stats?
Surely if they were being told to lower the eyes and pick out targets the % would be much higher, either that or they are all s**t kicks and our forwards don't present on the lead.
I dunno someone like Trac he's the most all or nothing kick I've seen for ages, he can kick it like Jarman and then very next kick he's Ty Zantuck

Oliver is a distance kicker like Sparrow. ANB and Spargo as the hamster said no their limits so they have to look short.

Viney used to be a hack but even without those stats it's noticeable he has tried to lower his eyes more than previous seasons. You're talking about Trac and Oliver being ranked in like the 100s in the AFL for kick retention inside 50...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me this is damning.

View attachment 1470657
I reckon that Spargo is helped by the fact he can only kick 35 metres

Means he is always looking for a short lead up target

The gameplan is to kick it long to the pocket for a ball up so we can play FrOnT HaLf FoOtY

If we lower our eyes, hit targets and kick easy set shot goals then the ball goes back to the middle and then it's not looking like A MeLbOuRnE GaMe

I reckon that Spargo is helped by the fact he can only kick 35 metres

Means he is always looking for a short lead up target

Maybe Trac, Sparrow and Oliver (doubt he can actually execute this though) should take note. Isn’t hitting someone up 40M from goal a heck of a lot better than the results we’re getting from bombing it long?

Maybe Trac, Sparrow and Oliver (doubt he can actually execute this though) should take note. Isn’t hitting someone up 40M from goal a heck of a lot better than the results we’re getting from bombing it long?
Yeah for sure it is

Since kicking is the key discussion point, I thought I'd list all of our players' kicking efficiency this year. (Note that this is just for kicking, not disposals overall). I've also included how each player ranks compared to league average for their position as per AFL stats.

Chandler and Turner have not been included due to limited sample size.

1. Steven May (85.1%) – Above Average
  2. Jake Lever (81.7%) – Average
  3. Michael Hibberd (80.5%) – Above Average
  4. Christian Salem (78.3%) – Above Average
  5. Harrison Petty (77.4%) – Below Average
  6. Jayden Hunt (75.6%) – Average
  7. James Jordon (74.9%) – Elite
  8. Jake Bowey (74.0%) – Average
  9. Adam Tomlinson (73.8%) – Below Average
  10. Angus Brayshaw (72.4%) – Below Average
  11. Trent Rivers (68.3%) – Below Average
  12. Sam Weideman (67.4%) – Above Average
  13. Joel Smith (66.7%) – Below Average
  14. James Harmes (65.7%) – Above Average
  15. Charlie Spargo (65.4%) – Above Average
  16. Ed Langdon (65.0%) – Above Average
  17. Kysaiah Pickett (64.9%) – Above Average
  18. Luke Jackson (63.9%) – Above Average
  19. Luke Dunstan (63.6%) – Average
  20. Toby Bedford (63.6%) – Above Average
  21. Tom Sparrow (63.0%) – Average
  22. Tom McDonald (60.6%) – Average
  23. Bayley Fritsch (60.4%) – Average
  24. Ben Brown (57.1%) – Below Average
  25. Christian Petracca (57.0%) – Below Average
  26. Mitch Brown (56.3%) – Below Average
  27. Alex Neal-Bullen (55.4%) – Below Average
  28. Max Gawn (53.3%) – Average
  29. Jack Viney (53.0%) – Below Average
  30. Clayton Oliver (51.5%) – Below Average
  31. Jake Melksham (51.2%) – Below Average
So, according to the stats, we have one elite kick on our list, and it's James "Jordon Jones" Jordon

Since kicking is the key discussion point, I thought I'd list all of our players' kicking efficiency this year. (Note that this is just for kicking, not disposals overall). I've also included how each player ranks compared to league average for their position as per AFL stats.

Chandler and Turner have not been included due to limited sample size.

1. Steven May (85.1%) – Above Average
  2. Jake Lever (81.7%) – Average
  3. Michael Hibberd (80.5%) – Above Average
  4. Christian Salem (78.3%) – Above Average
  5. Harrison Petty (77.4%) – Below Average
  6. Jayden Hunt (75.6%) – Average
  7. James Jordon (74.9%) – Elite
  8. Jake Bowey (74.0%) – Average
  9. Adam Tomlinson (73.8%) – Below Average
  10. Angus Brayshaw (72.4%) – Below Average
  11. Trent Rivers (68.3%) – Below Average
  12. Sam Weideman (67.4%) – Above Average
  13. Joel Smith (66.7%) – Below Average
  14. James Harmes (65.7%) – Above Average
  15. Charlie Spargo (65.4%) – Above Average
  16. Ed Langdon (65.0%) – Above Average
  17. Kysaiah Pickett (64.9%) – Above Average
  18. Luke Jackson (63.9%) – Above Average
  19. Luke Dunstan (63.6%) – Average
  20. Toby Bedford (63.6%) – Above Average
  21. Tom Sparrow (63.0%) – Average
  22. Tom McDonald (60.6%) – Average
  23. Bayley Fritsch (60.4%) – Average
  24. Ben Brown (57.1%) – Below Average
  25. Christian Petracca (57.0%) – Below Average
  26. Mitch Brown (56.3%) – Below Average
  27. Alex Neal-Bullen (55.4%) – Below Average
  28. Max Gawn (53.3%) – Average
  29. Jack Viney (53.0%) – Below Average
  30. Clayton Oliver (51.5%) – Below Average
  31. Jake Melksham (51.2%) – Below Average
So, according to the stats, we have one elite kick on our list, and it's James "Jordon Jones" Jordon

I'm utterly confused. How is the AFL ranking determined?

The ranking and percentage here appear to have only a vague correlation at best.

* me this is damning.

View attachment 1470657
I'd like to see the first half/second half split on these numbers. Our forward line in all our losses has functioned well H1 - it's after half time it all falls apart.

Not sure if that's fatigue or the oppo club tweaking their play or whatever - but there is a massive trend where we look great - and then start picking out opposition backmen going forward.

But in saying that - our scoring is as per mean in both our wins this year and last year (outside of the finals).

We've still got the best defence (pts scored) in the league - but it's failing in big games this year.

Part of that I think is continuity - May held the patchwork quilt together in the first 10 games, but he went mad and has dropped away.

The others have been injured or sick (or dropped). Brayshaw plugged holes as well - but is now in the guts - and we're seeing Gawn forward more rather than holding up the D50.

F50 is in a poor shape - but it pretty much was this time last year as well - was only from the Gold Coast game it started to click.

But for me, the defenders need to get their s**t together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back