Analysis TK'S LAB ( AKA the bore room ) šŸŒˆ

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind it. Not sure how his tackling is, Spargos stronger than he looks but I don't see why Boweys ball use couldn't be useful up the ground.

I bet it hasn't improved but at one point Oliver and Trac had kicked the ball inside 50, 55 times in a 4 week stretch and found 1 target.
Oliver thumps in the general direction of forward. Trac does one fantastic pass every 4th game or so, otherwise tends to thump in the general direction of whoever looks tallish ahead, regardless of whether they are surrounded by 4 opposition defenders.

I often get annoyed at our forwards for not leading, but it works both ways. A lot of effort to find space in the forward 50 only to keep seeing it sail towards an out-bodied Brown.

Oliver thumps in the general direction of forward. Trac does one fantastic pass every 4th game or so, otherwise tends to thump in the general direction of whoever looks tallish ahead, regardless of whether they are surrounded by 4 opposition defenders.

I often get annoyed at our forwards for not leading, but it works both ways. A lot of effort to find space in the forward 50 only to keep seeing it sail towards an out-bodied Brown.
The graphic especially of Lever and Oliver's kicks inside 50 illustrate it perfect. Both had blokes lead into their eyeline and both of them kicked it straight over the top of them to the square. By the end of the quarter with Petraccas kick no one even bothered moving anymore and Petracca still endeavoured to nearly kick it on the full

We have to find a way to get Bowey in and use his kicking. Heā€™s too good at an area weā€™re bad at not to be playing.

For the same reasons it feels like a missed opportunity that Laurie hasnā€™t been given some experience before now.
Not giving Laurie a game was presumably for Goodwin to back in the small forward structure that worked pretty well last year, with the occasional game from Bedford. Unfortunately, given where we sit compared to 10 weeks ago, the conservatism has blown up somewhat. Based off his presser, I'd not be shocked if he pulled the trigger on the guys who aren't executing their role every week. Unfortunately probably too late for Laurie and JvR to have any real impact unless they really are out the box types.

Not giving Laurie a game was presumably for Goodwin to back in the small forward structure that worked pretty well last year, with the occasional game from Bedford. Unfortunately, given where we sit compared to 10 weeks ago, the conservatism has blown up somewhat. Based off his presser, I'd not be shocked if he pulled the trigger on the guys who aren't executing their role every week. Unfortunately probably too late for Laurie and JvR to have any real impact unless they really are out the box types.

Yep, heā€™s failed to take risks to improve the team this year. Melksham instead of Chandler or Laurie for example. Spargo and Sparrow able to have too many quiet games just because they are premiership
Players.

Weā€™re pretty much the same as last year with a few more injuries and our gameplan more exposed and thatā€™s why several teams have gone past us.

Cumberland for the Tiges and Johnson for the Pies are two young forwards that have come in and made a difference late in the year, it can happen.

Both teams also give their forwards a fighting chance by moving the ball quickly and directly.

Selection will be interesting this week

I'm sure Collingwood made a lot of errors too and call me looney but these are positive, providing they actually do something about it. I'm not exactly sure when all these situations happen, I assumed in the first half when we dominated but couldn't punish them, if we actually start playing as a team and also start using our eyes, we might actually get to the pointy end. I'd feel confident getting Collingwood again but would need to some evidence.

This could be the turning point in our premiership pursuit. If nothing else, it's good to see some passion back on this board. Been far too little engagement lately. Was a lot more fun when we were terrible.

Bowie for Melk. Do it.
Hey mate, I'd love Bowie in the side (and around the front half too) but they're not really like for like players.

Although Melk isn't a tall player, we play him as a pseudo-tall on their team's best interceptor. He's done this well on players like J McGovern for the Eagles in the past because he's a smart forward and knows how to use his body in the contest.

He played on Darcy Moore who only had 5 marks and 6 intercepts for the game - and his role is definitely to keep these players honest and hopefully free up BBB and Fritsch in the process to get some more space on lesser opponents.

Just thought I'd spell that out

This could be the turning point in our premiership pursuit. If nothing else, it's good to see some passion back on this board. Been far too little engagement lately. Was a lot more fun when we were terrible.
I'd thought the Bulldogs humiliation was the turning point? Kinda frustrating seeing Lever and Viney spout cliches to the media about it "still being in our hands".

He played on Darcy Moore who only had 5 marks and 6 intercepts for the game - and his role is definitely to keep these players honest and hopefully free up BBB and Fritsch in the process to get some more space on lesser opponents.
Moore averages 5 marks and 7 intercepts this season. I'm not saying Melksham is playing badly personally, but I think we can do better.

I'd thought the Bulldogs humiliation was the turning point? Kinda frustrating seeing Lever and Viney spout cliches to the media about it "still being in our hands".
Yeah. I wish someone would mix it up a bit with something like "we are soooooo rooted if we don't get our s**t together". Get Ed Langdon on it

Yeah. I wish someone would mix it up a bit with something like "we are soooooo rooted if we don't get our s**t together". Get Ed Langdon on it
The first time they went with "I don't remember being this upset after a loss" was Sydney or Collingwood #1, I believe, which was pretty gratifying at the time.

Letting the same lead slip six times in half a year and running with the "aww, we just needed to play our brand for four quarters" feels a little tone deaf, not to mention naive, given these teams don't play their brand in the first half and seem to have no issues building back after HT. It's a pattern now, no use being filthy, "responding" the next week, and then doing the same thing the week after when the pressure eases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore averages 5 marks and 7 intercepts this season. I'm not saying Melksham is playing badly personally, but I think we can do better.
True, don't think Melk was amazing, but with the amount of blind bombs to nobody I thought keeping him to 5 marks was pretty good.

True, don't think Melk was amazing, but with the amount of blind bombs to nobody I thought keeping him to 5 marks was pretty good.
That's true. I feel like we have some genuine firepower in the twos, and I'm sick of overly-negating other teams when our best is still the best in the league. We've just stopped bringing it, whilst the Pies, Cats and Swans have built their form beautifully.

I really think this is the week for JvR in for Melksham. The plan isn't working. "Getting back to our brand" and relying on the usual players to rediscover their best footy isn't happening when it's clear that many of last year's 22 aren't as hungry as those competing with them. Let's get some fresh energy in and kick a few lazy ones (ie. Sparrow and Spargo) up the arse.

That's true. I feel like we have some genuine firepower in the twos, and I'm sick of overly-negating other teams when our best is still the best in the league. We've just stopped bringing it, whilst the Pies, Cats and Swans have built their form beautifully.

I really think this is the week for JvR in for Melksham. The plan isn't working. "Getting back to our brand" isn't happening when it's clear that many of last year's 22 aren't as hungry as those competing with them. Let's get some fresh energy in and kick a few lazy ones (ie. Sparrow and Spargo) up the arse.
Agree with your views on getting run down in the same way (especially at the MCG) is very concerning.

There is a bit of a Casey Globetrotter effect in play though - our forwards kick bags every week down there partly because they're talented enough (Chandler, Bedford, Laurie and I'd say JVR too) but also because the team is undefeated and often wins by 60+. Mitch White and Mitch Brown also kick bags down there too.

I think the hunger levels is concerning and not easily rectifiable. Chucking a kid in there is good and can have an outsized impact on the group through a spike in enthusiasm/energy/vibe/whatever (See Bowey last year) but ultimately it is still just 1, maybe 2 of 22 players. I'm open to a JVR debut though and I don't think being overly conservative at match committee or with strategy is the way out.

I liked throwing Brayshaw into the guts, that's been a tick. Melk back into the side as a deep forward has been hot and cold. Gawn forward with Dogga taking more of the ruck has also been hot and cold (would have been a big tick if the big fella had kicked a few).

We need more proactive changes as the team has gotten stale and worked out to a degree. I think Goody is backing the heat/pressure of finals (every game from here on out is essentially a final) will awaken that hunger and defensive running in the team, which will make us much harder to play against. I'm not so sure it clicks that easy.

The first time they went with "I don't remember being this upset after a loss" was Sydney or Collingwood #1, I believe, which was pretty gratifying at the time.

Letting the same lead slip six times in half a year and running with the "aww, we just needed to play our brand for four quarters" feels a little tone deaf, not to mention naive, given these teams don't play their brand in the first half and seem to have no issues building back after HT. It's a pattern now, no use being filthy, "responding" the next week, and then doing the same thing the week after when the pressure eases.
Yeah Iā€™m tiring of ā€œgetting the game looking like a Melbourne gameā€ and ā€œwe didnā€™t play our brandā€ is getting tiresome. Especially since I imagine our visualisation of A Melbourne Game probably looks like a game that we win, I donā€™t really need to be told this every time we lose.

The graphic especially of Lever and Oliver's kicks inside 50 illustrate it perfect. Both had blokes lead into their eyeline and both of them kicked it straight over the top of them to the square. By the end of the quarter with Petraccas kick no one even bothered moving anymore and Petracca still endeavoured to nearly kick it on the full
I do wonder whether it's become individual risk aversion- I.e. they would rather bomb to 15m out and (in theory) lock it in, than try and hit up a lead, risk screwing it up, causing a shallow turnover and a quick rebound, which then they have totake responsibility for.

We need our senior players backing their skills and actually being willing to take some damn responsibility. If there's a good lead, honor it. If you screw up the kick, acknowledge you fluffed it and do better next time. Don't always wimp out and take the easy, safer option for yourself. There are times to take the safer option but not every damn time.

I think we beat Carlton then lose to the Lions in the last round, really seems like a culture/attitude problem this season. It's bloody hard to go back to back, history says it rarely happens. The worst thing about this season though is Geelong improving and potentially winning a flag before that cliff comes, nightmare stuff.

Weirdly enough, I reckon we're the only side that can beat them on Grand Final day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back