Analysis TK'S LAB ( AKA the bore room ) 🌈

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton Oliver is officially the worst in the AFL for kicking I50, of Claytons 45 kicks inside 50, just 4 have been retained by a Melbourne player.
Add that to the rubbish handballs of this season and hes playing as poorly as he has ever played in a Dees jumper. I know people get excited over high possession games but when he gets the ball almost nothing happens this season.

Olivers 8.9% retention rate is the worst in the AFL

3rd worst in the AFL is Ed Langdon with a retention rate of 17%, of course we are ******* interested in him

Add that to Viney and Brayshaw and thats the be all and end all of our terrible I50 entries. We will never be a consistently good team with these 3 playing together unless one of them changes their game.

Clayton Oliver is officially the worst in the AFL for kicking I50, of Claytons 45 kicks inside 50, just 4 have been retained by a Melbourne player.
Add that to the rubbish handballs of this season and hes playing as poorly as he has ever played in a Dees jumper. I know people get excited over high possession games but when he gets the ball almost nothing happens this season.

Olivers 8.9% retention rate is the worst in the AFL

3rd worst in the AFL is Ed Langdon with a retention rate of 17%, of course we are ******* interested in him

Add that to Viney and Brayshaw and thats the be all and end all of our terrible I50 entries. We will never be a consistently good team with these 3 playing together unless one of them changes their game.

Harmes is the best kick/decision maker of the "fulltime" mids.......would love if we could clone Salem and have one in each forward half. I know we are light on defenders this week but may need to roll the dice and get Salem forward of centre.

Harmes is the best kick/decision maker of the "fulltime" mids.......would love if we could clone Salem and have one in each forward half. I know we are light on defenders this week but may need to roll the dice and get Salem forward of centre.
Ill keep saying this and Ill keep getting s**t for it but Salem isnt a 'good' defender. Hes a beautiful kick and hes tough but he doesnt spoil, he doesnt intercept mark and hes not especially good at shutting someone down.

With Hore back there now I dont see why hes down there. All of the good sides are moving their best kicks back forward of the ball again. The risky kicks arent in the back half they are forward of centre and thats where we need Salem.

I think he could be even better as a HFF

Ill keep saying this and Ill keep getting **** for it but Salem isnt a 'good' defender. Hes a beautiful kick and hes tough but he doesnt spoil, he doesnt intercept mark and hes not especially good at shutting someone down.

With Hore back there now I dont see why hes down there. All of the good sides are moving their best kicks back forward of the ball again. The risky kicks arent in the back half they are forward of centre and thats where we need Salem.

I think he could be even better as a HFF

With Melk out seems worth a shot to me

With Melk out seems worth a shot to me
I'd agree but the backline is light on players too with Hibberd and Lewis going out

I want to try it but he might just have to stay there out of necessity

I'd agree but the backline is light on players too with Hibberd and Lewis going out

I want to try it but he might just have to stay there out of necessity

It would probably be a total disaster but I reassert trying Trac in the back. I know he can’t mark for s**t, but maybe he can just use his physicality to his advantage. He can’t be worse than OMac, and he also can’t do worse that when we get to see him attempt a goal kick, so win-win.

It would probably be a total disaster but I reassert trying Trac in the back. I know he can’t mark for ****, but maybe he can just use his physicality to his advantage. He can’t be worse than OMac, and he also can’t do worse that when we get to see him attempt a goal kick, so win-win.

Nah that’s be a horrible idea (No offence)

Here's a stoppage that really pissed me off and is the difference between us and a good team.

First frame Jones is on Shuey, Omac is the spare at the stoppage and Viney is on Redden left of screen

20190518_215121.jpg

Shuey makes his move here

20190518_215343.jpg

Jones has allowed Shuey to run free to the back of the stoppage, Viney has come into the contest for no reason and now Shuey and Redeem are free on the outside. Omac hasn't actually moved yet.

20190518_215510.jpg

Shuey and Redden now miles in space. Stretch has come to tackle and Petty is right beside him without a man. Viney and Jones have sold their younger teammates up the river.
Omac still hasn't moved a cm.

20190518_215557.jpg

Shuey collects the ball and snaps the goal. Omac is still standing in the exact same spot as when the ball was bounced. Literally stood by himself and didn't move more than a meter. Jones man kicks the goal in miles of space.

20190518_215732.jpg

Disorganized stoppage in a close game which is more of a difference than the umpires

Here's a stoppage that really pissed me off and is the difference between us and a good team.

First frame Jones is on Shuey, Omac is the spare at the stoppage and Viney is on Redden left of screen

View attachment 676667

View attachment 676669

Jones has allowed Shuey to run free to the back of the stoppage, Viney has come into the contest for no reason and now Shuey and Redeem are free on the outside. Omac hasn't actually moved yet.

View attachment 676670

Shuey and Redden now miles in space. Stretch has come to tackle and Petty is right beside him without a man. Viney and Jones have sold their younger teammates up the river.

View attachment 676666

Shuey collects the ball and snaps the goal. Omac is still standing in the exact same spot as when the ball was bounced. Literally stood by himself and didn't move more than a meter. Jones man kicks the goal in miles of space.

View attachment 676671

Disorganized stoppage in a close game which is more of a difference than the umpires

In depth analysis! In Omac's defence, I wonder if he is there because the corridor is the more dangerous space should the ball spill that direction? Either way, too much space allowed to someone like Shuey. Hard to tell exactly from those snaps as they don't show the full 50, but Wagner also clearly lets Rioli go goal side of him and pushes up into the contest himself. Rioli might've had an easy over the top goal too.
The really glaring error on Fri night was that example in Qtr 1 when we had seemingly half our team crowding around the ball on the wing. Their only player won the ball and pumped a big handball into the centre and they were off. I think Rioli finished that one with a dribbler from memory. You could see it all unfolding but powerless to stop it!

View attachment 676667

View attachment 676669

View attachment 676670

View attachment 676666

View attachment 676671

One i wanted to highlight but cant be arsed is the Eagles rush it forward we try to get numbers to the ball and hold it up. Frost is running with his man who goes to the square and Frost then rolls up to the contest, Get stuck in no mans land between his man and the contest ball. What i'm getting at is i'm not hating on Frost, but Omac isn't great but he's not alone i suppose

Like that, and it's been the buzz word at the club i play at it "bees to a honey pot" to many players try to get to the ball and then we just killed on spread when we either get it turn it over, or don't effect the contest at all. It's frustrating at local level when we're trying to play man on man footy. But it was interesting viewing us on Friday just to get a better perspective of how it can kill you

This would be ok if the ball was in our F50 or even around the ground as the intention is to win the ball, but when in the opposition F50, the first and foremost thought should be to at least defend your opponent. Jones and Viney are pretty much a see ball get ball player. They really don't have many other strings to their bow unfortunately. Oliver and Brayshaw similar. Harmes is about the only mid in our team who can be as effective defensively as he is offensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right not being lazy now decided to have a look for it, now Vardy doesn't get the goal from this, but could have easily. Frame 1. Ball hacked forward by the Eagles Courtesy of a bad Salem handball. Frost is trailing Vardy here but with him. Omac has kinda let Kennedy go. And Fritsch is trailing Darling. (The more i researched this the more i realise it's a whole indictment on the team here)
Frost1.PNG

Frost is watching the Contest, Vardy is changing direction on him. Wagner is guarding the inside. West Coast at this moment have two options for a handball receive and a player heading to goals, Ball is loose from Kennedy. Two players at the contest not able to make an impact
Frost2.PNG

Darling now is onto the loose ball and Wagner decides it's time to try and impact the play. Frost also decides to do the same thing leading away from Vardy to come up and Kennedy. There are four player behind the ball, one West Coast player is on boundary side. Imo Frost needs to read this better here, Wagner is closer and is on the move and can make an impact before Frost can
Frost3.PNG

Wagner has arrived at the contest, West Coast sill has a player on the outside. Now this is where Frost Gets caught in no mans land, he's come up at the footy, left is man Vardy about 10 metres behind him goal side. If Darling uses that player free on his side he can easily hit Vardy with a handball or kick
Frost4.PNG

Darling turns the ball back out, Kennedy has been left unmanned by Omac as we try to swarm the ball. At this point including Kennedy there are 4 players unmanned, with 4 essentially around Darling and Fritsch i think also caught in no mans land and a 5th running in top of frame. Salem leaving a man unattended as well more focused on the footy
Frost5.PNG

Omac really has been ineffectual here. Lost Kennedy initially then got pulled into the contest and left Kennedy free at the back. Frost is essentially nowhere now, two players are at where the ball was and didn't hold it up and Fritsch is just as lost as Frost is. Kennedy could have even gone back for a teammate on the run. Salem could probably pick up the man loose on the left but is jogging at Kennedy (Salem's man is free just out of screen having run down from where Salem turned the footy over)
Frost6.PNG

In the end Kennedy snaps the ball and Vardy isn't needed but, nor are the other players. Frost and Fritsch are lost in space. There are three players around Darling who could have got the loose ball from Kennedy
Frost7.PNG

Again having researched this more, i can't just get stuck into Frost here. Frost does get caught in no mans land when he lets Vardy go and comes at the contest and is lucky Vardy doesn't make in the square. If frost does man up Vardy he's at least on the goal line where he could perhaps touch the ball. In fact it's rather bad play by Vardy to take the space there in modern AFL. Frost needs to realise the he has Wanger over there and doesn't need to come up and support the contest

Fritsch jogs past the contest and just guards space.

Omac doesn't stop Kennedy from getting the ball, then get sucked into Darling on the loose ball that he allows Kennedy loose again for the snap or to handball.

Player is still unmanned on the left although that's a low percentage play to use him, it's still bad he's free. Especially earlier with Frost at the contest he could easily loop and handball towards Vardy

The only one i can actually praise here is Wagner. Which for me is rare. He puts himself in a position to a flick out to the corridor, doesn't get pulled into the contest initially, and then when it's his turn he attempts a tackle.

Salem who caused the turn over up field lets his man just stream into the 50 off screen

Ultimately imo this is just bad reading of the play by everyone but Wagner. And that everyone gets drawn to the ball and don't kill the footy or impact the contest. Bees to a Honey pot

In a weird way this is amusing to do, can see why you started this Topkent

View attachment 676667

View attachment 676669

View attachment 676670

View attachment 676666

View attachment 676671

Yep, was clear as day that Jones abandoned his defensive duties which allowed Shuey to get into space with ease. Terrible defending from Jones.

All this vision makes me remember in 2014 when we were defense first team. Two of Jones best performance was when he played on Murphy and Cotchin, he completely shut them down while also exposing them when we attacked. Now I know Jones isn't at his best anymore but there's no excuse for inability to defend. In fact if I was Jones I would make sure that's the most important part of my game because the other elements of his game are fading.

Dropped shoulder head over the ball.
View attachment 667686
Control on the ball drop right down, easy to see why he's a beautiful kick
View attachment 667687
Can we get a comparison from 2021 to see if it's a mechanics thing or if it's all between the ears?
Dory_77 can use these images on the iPad he takes to Manuka this weekend so our boy Fritta can get 100 A+ in kicking it through the big sticks

Dropped shoulder head over the ball.
View attachment 667686
Control on the ball drop right down, easy to see why he's a beautiful kick
View attachment 667687
Can we get a comparison from 2021 to see if it's a mechanics thing or if it's all between the ears?
Dory_77 can use these images on the iPad he takes to Manuka this weekend so our boy Fritta can get 100 A+ in kicking it through the big sticks

That post confused me.

The ball drop is way too high (as someone who did this themselves when I played) even back then. There is absolutely no need to have it that high, too much can go wrong between hand and foot. At best you're going to have the inconsistencies we see today, at worst you're going to become a butcher full time.

#ADPstoolshed

Robbo is the pinup boy for everything about changing ones set shot imo. He had a massively flawed set shot routine when starting his AFL career yet by the end of it he did everything you should and was a dead eye. (Run in a straight line ,got good momentum on his run up, drop the ball low)

That post confused me.

The ball drop is way too high (as someone who did this themselves when I played) even back then. There is absolutely no need to have it that high, too much can go wrong between hand and foot. At best you're going to have the inconsistencies we see today, at worst you're going to become a butcher full time.

#ADPstoolshed
Yeah I don't really remember that post but I think it was a comparison to Trac who had already let go of the ball at that point.

Tmac has a beautiful action. Holds it over his toes. It's very plugger like.

Tmac has a beautiful action. Holds it over his toes. It's very plugger like.

Absolutely, best technique on set shots in the team currently. Very little can go wrong.

Robbo is the pinup boy for everything about changing ones set shot imo. He had a massively flawed set shot routine when starting his AFL career yet by the end of it he did everything you should and was a dead eye. (Run in a straight line ,got good momentum on his run up, drop the ball low)

One of the very rare forwards who went from a terrible kick for goal to one of the best, actually probably the best turnaround in goal kicking that I can remember. Wouldn't be ridiculous to ask him to give Fristch the template on how he achieved that, but maybe he already did and it got worse...

It's back baby!
Some s**t house efforts from our mids to get Kingy and Nroo horny

Freekick at a stoppage to North, Trac trailing his man but is closer to the kicker remember that
Screenshot_20210502-094238~2.png

Next frame Trac has lazily jogged inside 50 and left his man completely alone in the corridor, he actually had to run past him to do this. Mind boggling

Screenshot_20210502-094305~2.png

His man easy mark in about 30m of space. Almost ends in a mark I50

Screenshot_20210502-094315~2.png

This one's the worst by far, so much of it is poor play, poor set up and poor execution

I've highlighted Jordan In this passage but there's 4 of them, Jordans just the laziest.
All our players defensive side of the contest, ditto for theirs. Jordan with the dot

Screenshot_20210502-095753~2.png

North win the ball, Pickett and Oliver gone past Jordan who's literally standing still.

Screenshot_20210502-095811~2.png

North have it now defensive side. Jordan still hasn't ******* moved yet. Not only that but we have 4 wingers unoposed. So not only are our inside mids being lazy but we are also banking on winning easily in the contest by keeping our width. The inside mids were lazy af today so north had extra at the contest.

Screenshot_20210502-095822~2.png

There's the 4 wings, plus Jordan still standing still.

Screenshot_20210502-095908~2.png

North kick it forward to 3 blokes alone. Just s**t footy all round.

Screenshot_20210502-100056~2.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back