To boo or to not boo: Scott Lycett

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s actually funny you say that. I attended the Woosh medals last year and briefly spoke with Scott and it genuinely did seem like he wanted to stay at west coast. My mate and I were a bit tipsy so it’s hard to recall what was said exactly but he was asked (half jokingly) if he planned on staying and he said something to the effect of “I hope so” kind of making light of the situation but you could hear the sincerity in his voice. Also seen reports that he actually wanted to stay, but who knows. If it’s true, I would feel bad booing the bloke who genuinely loved and wanted to stay at the club.

But would like to add that I’ve seen interviews of him post-west coast saying that he was happy to go back to port so I don’t know if he was just saying he wanted to stay because it was the polite thing to do or what.

Last week on the podcast they were pressing Bandy into setting up this weeks episode with big Scotty, hope it eventuates.

Love the big fella, and hope he has a cracking season - but gets a bath this week of course.

He had a few factors for him to go home. Money wasn't the only draw. He's an SA boy with family still in Adelaide/SA,he's also a Port boy and he's best mate Sam Gray plays for them (Lachie Neale moved to the other end of the country to play with his best mate). Also Port have an ageing Paddy Ryder and most ruckman want to be the main ruckmam at some stage.

The money would have tipped him in the end to go back home.

Should not boo. Lycett played his heart out for us and was a big factor in the flag, combining with Vardy to beat Grundy, Gawn then Grundy again. And his reasons for leaving were fair enough. We wouldn't have given him five years. There's no betrayal. It's a case of "thanks for your work and good luck". I have nothing but goodwill towards Big Scotty Lycett.

Why would you boo?

We didn't want to match Port's offer so we didn't.

I will booo because I have been told not to booo. Its the essence of the booo. Who are you to challenge my booo? I booed Brayshaw I boooed Gaff I'll booo my mother if told not too. It's just another 4 letter word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Scott Lycett's sponsor (in memoriam), I am the certified authority on booing him.

Isn't it punishment enough that he's ruined his career by moving from a premiership team to a perennially middling team?

944643.png

I think maybe something like a polite golf clap is on the cards. With a quiet boo behind it.

Difference is Lycett seemed to love the Eagles. Judd never seemed happy.

Great player but meh guy.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ve never seen a player look so unhappy on the premiership dais as Judd Did

He used the excuse he wanted to go home

Visy the dodgy cardboard company paid him a bonus wage above the salary cap until the Afl stepped in and nulled it

Lycett is good bloke and always gave his all...100% committed ...

Don’t boo him

May have wanted to stay but Port's offer didn't fall out of the sky on the last day of the FA period.

Club prioritised Gov and Gaff, player prioritised player. No issue with it at all. I won't boo but I might sneak in a Boo-urns. Actually looking forward to seeing how he goes at Port once Ryder finishes up. Been good so far.

Alas, he chose riches, over loyalty.

Not admirable, but then again, I have no ill feeling towards him.

He has done what many have done before him, and made a sterling contribution to the blue and gold.

As such, would disapprove of any motions to boo him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back