Media To Bye or Not To Bye: That Is The Question

Are you happy with the prospect of a bye round in S34?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

1635746012680.png
The expansion ballet goes on. As we stand at this moment there have been two expansion bids that have initiated the approval process with SFA administrator NaturalDisaster. Both the Isotopes and Vipers (soon to be rebranded something un-snaky) are aiming to enter the league in Season 34, and will now go through the official vetting process and bribing of Committee members to get the big tick of approval.

Of course, the two bids are not linked - so there is the very real prospect that one one will get a team license. At this stage one would have to say that the Viper bid is the stronger of the two, with the Isotopes having a lot of work to do in the coming weeks and months. A thirteen team competition could then be on the cards for Season 34.

But what does that mean for the fixturing? The answer is of course, BYES. And no, I'm not talking about a week with the Gumbies - I mean a proper bye where you have to spend the week only talking to your teammates or gatecrashing other match threads. There would also then have to be a discussion on whether we will move to a thirteen round season (each team playing the other twelve once + a single bye), or whether some (or all) teams get a second bye as we pad our way out to the current 16-17 game season. But that's another layer of complexity.

There have been byes in the past: Seasons 1 and 4 both had uneven team numbers, and resorted to a bye. There has been a split round in Season 18, which gave everybody a bye. But historically the league has gone to great lengths to prevent them happening: teams have joined in pairs ever since the early days to keep numbers even, and a shell team called the AFL Allstars was created in Season 7 to allow the extra team play a team of bots.

But let's test the waters first. What IS the appetite for a bye in Sweet? Would you enjoy a week's holiday to freshen your enthusiasm for the games to come? Or do you think it will stymie your club's momentum as the season progresses?

Last edited:

Not really enough numbers to be compelling media for me, really disappointed.
I didn't brand it Serial Stats for that very reason! This is a thread to get the pulse of the people. Have your voice HEARD - your Committee rep certainly won't voice it!

I didn't brand it Serial Stats for that very reason! This is a thread to get the pulse of the people. Have your voice HEARD - your Committee rep certainly won't voice it!
I'm all for byes, even if it means GremioPower's All Star team bid doesn't get up!!!

I prefer it when discussions like this are held in secret between the faceless men of the various factions.

Just wait until you see what the S32 Rookie PM release about their solution to the bye-- it includes triple headers, a song contest, and a charcuterie board.

My worry about the bye is some teams will use it as an excuse spam other match threads.

If one team is admitted, I think the admin will need to make it clear that teams on the bye should refrain from ruining other teams match threads.
Which teams do you believe would resort to that shameless tactic?

My worry about the bye is some teams will use it as an excuse spam other match threads.

If one team is admitted, I think the admin will need to make it clear that teams on the bye should refrain from ruining other teams match threads.

Then it needs to be 2 new teams ... or none

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are going to stifle participation then?

Colour me “shocked to be sitting here”

So you are going to stifle participation then?

Colour me “shocked to be sitting here”

A match thread is for the two teams playing that match and no one else. Not saying I have never posted in another match thread, nor am I saying it should be banned completely. We don't want a situation where an entire team is targetting and spamming one match thread that isn't theirs though.

Teams on byes can participate in media, wouldn't hurt to have a few have a go at that now and then.

A match thread is for the two teams playing that match and no one else.

Teams on byes can participate in media, wouldn't hurt to have a few have a go at that now and then.
So that every tired veteran can complain something similar was attempted back in Nineteen-dickety nine?

Please.

You landfill every second thread anyway

So that every tired veteran can complain something similar was attempted back in Nineteen-dickety nine?

Please.

You landfill every second thread anyway

Threads are only landfilled if they aren't SFA relevant.

Maybe your threads are just s**t.

Threads are only landfilled if they aren't SFA relevant.

Maybe your threads are just sh*t.
Started one thread in my first season, it did its job.

Started a match thread this season and it was deleted … twice. Match threads are relevant and my other thread is still open.

I am not the problem in this, stop deflecting.

Started one thread in my first season, it did its job.

Started a match thread this season and it was deleted … twice. Match threads are relevant and my other thread is still open.

I am not the problem in this, stop deflecting.

Because someone else was doing those weeks match threads, if you want to create a match thread, you sign up for it.

Then it needs to be 2 new teams ... or none
If you were to think that way, it could actually also be one new team + a merger...

No issues with a bye. Sometimes need a week off to refresh or so without one anyway so a bye would be nice. Also would allow those media inclined to have more time focused into it for that week

Plus the ladder will look more interesting. Behind but might have a game in hand? Could be fun

Because someone else was doing those weeks match threads, if you want to create a match thread, you sign up for it.
I know that now.

Please list some ideas for media, that are not even remotely using recycled material, which you would like to see. Even one completely original idea is welcome.

I am not going to point fingers, but I believe there are some teams that will, out of boredom, target and spam other threads.
Lol, just be honest. There are a bunch of losers on here that have literally nothing in their lives except for their noteriety in an online forum that couldnt bear to go unheard for an entire week, because again, theyve got nothing going on in their lives 🤗

Back