Strategy To get the Lions roaring again...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2015
Free State NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Brisbane team of 2001 to 2003 played brutal and beautiful football.

As a Collingwood supporter, watching the 2002 GF was disappointing and watching the 2003 GF was excruciating.

A thriving Brisbane is good for the competition on all levels, not least broadcasting deals that drive revenue to the whole competition.

So what needs to be done to get the Lions roaring again?

Lethal is right: the loop of trading existing talent for speculative future talent is a formula for mediocrity.

Is it to only draft players from Queensland (and maybe NSW and the NT)?

Do you need additional academy pick points discounts?

Do you want additional AFL assistance to fund training facilities?

Does your front office have the necessary managerial skills in finance and marketing etc?

Can your current coaches attract, retain, and develop people you want?

What would make the most difference?

Your heart might be in the right place, but there is a level of inherent patronisation to this thread one day after the Aish trade. You may not get a friendly response.

The two things we need most though are the funds for a training centre and a systematic review of the draft situation that sees young players leaving for less than value from all clubs (and particularly Northern state ones)

As a Collingwood supporter, watching the 2002 GF was disappointing and watching the 2003 GF was excruciating.

A thriving Brisbane is good for the competition on all levels, not least broadcasting deals that drive revenue to the whole competition.

Lethal is right: the loop of trading existing talent for speculative future talent is a formula for mediocrity.

Does your front office have the necessary managerial skills in finance and marketing etc?

Great points, but I can't see you getting the response that you are looking for. Expect a little bit of snideness.

If you were really interested and not just trolling you would have read the abundance of other threads on this subject and added your two cents over there.

Mods can we shut this down before it gets ugly

Step 1 to bring the lions roar back: Keep Eddie mcguires mouth shut about or academies.

Step 2 to bring the lions roar back: Keep Eddie mcguires mouth shut about or academies.

Step 3 to bring the lions roar back: Keep Eddie mcguires mouth shut about or academies.

Step 4 to bring the lions roar back: Keep Eddie mcguires mouth shut about or academies.

I think you get the point

Agree, academies are vital in NSW and Queensland.

Agree, southern staters have underestimated their significance.

Have seen the Swans' academy in operation and it retained a number of players who might have been lost to rugby union/cricket.

Heeney will be an absolute jet.

Last edited:
Why not worry about your own team.
Afl.need a competitive Collingwood.
Been a while.
Was very worried about Collingwood in the mid-late nineties. We were broke/going broke and without strong leadership.

Eddie's parochialism that angers Brisbane and Sydney turned Collingwood around.

From afar, and I emphasise that qualification, I wonder if you involve your past greats enough in corporate marketing / government lobbying?

Or, if you do, is it just incredibly hard competing with the Broncos?

Was very worried about Collingwood in the mid-late nineties. We were broke/going broke and without strong leadership.

Eddie's parochialism that angers Brisbane and Sydney turned Collingwood around.

From afar, and I emphasise that qualification, I wonder if you involve your past greats enough in corporate marketing / government lobbying?

replace incredibly hard with pretty much impossible. The govt closed down a tafe campus and gave it to them because it was right next to their training base and they needed more room. It took us the best part of 6 months just to get a meeting to discuss some sort of funding. Not to mention that we don't even have private school old boys business ties, as they all go to rugby union.

A competitive Broncos outfit makes it nearly impossible, and a successful Roar season (which looks to be happening) will only make it worse.

Further, the Wallabies success at the Rugby world cup will do nothing but bring people back to the Reds.

Oh no, our club is . Pies are . There ya happy now troll? GTFO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all clear to me now, we just need to poach Eddie and we are set. He would be a great replacement for Leigh Matthews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Without Lethal's steely resolve we would not have won the '90 Premiership.
(and you may not have three-peated)

I expect Lethal's resolve is also valuable to Brisbane now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back