Training To hell and back but we never actually left hell (Preseason thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a combination of cost cutting and the doco last season probably would get laughed at this season (Even though I love behind the scenes stuff).
Maybe they're saving it for a doco after we win the flag this season :rainbow:.

Don't mind the quieter approach. Most preseason reports are propagandised so aren't particularly revealing. Although, a bit of info on the newbs, e.g. BBrown's knee/fitness etc would be nice.

Maybe they're saving it for a doco after we win the flag this season :rainbow:.

Don't mind the quieter approach. Most preseason reports are propagandised so aren't particularly revealing. Although, a bit of info on the newbs, e.g. BBrown's knee/fitness etc would be nice.

There was a brief bit on Nine (?) last night, but my Good Lady Wife was yapping at me, so I barely heard any of it. Telling her to "shut up - footy news" never ends well... I think he said he was "floying".

There was a brief bit on Nine (?) last night, but my Good Lady Wife was yapping at me, so I barely heard any of it. Telling her to "shut up - footy news" never ends well... I think he said he was "floying".
Tiny piece on 7 last night or night before. Basically saying Ben Brown has fit in really well and is over the knee injury. Then mentioned that Brayshaw is the only player on lighter duties. Fully fit list.

Tiny piece on 7 last night or night before. Basically saying Ben Brown has fit in really well and is over the knee injury. Then mentioned that Brayshaw is the only player on lighter duties. Fully fit list.
I read something within the last week (can't remember if it was club website, or something else from Burgo) saying similar. Brayshaw on track for a return to the main group around the 1st practice match, Hibberd had rolled an ankle which slightly aggravated an old injury but he was on track from games. Petty was the only other one mentioned, the approach was to take it very slow and steady with him given the groin (?) troubles last year.

For all those knocking the club and in particular, the lack of news coming out, the media department was absolutely smashed with layoffs, and those left over have been on annual leave after the extended time in hub.

I'd anticipate the content to ramp up from this week as they come back to work. Unfortunately, many other clubs are in a similar boat.

As disappointing as it is, I think all footy fans need to accept it's probably how things are going to be most of this year for all clubs.

Hunt maybe displaced by the two new recruits up forward - however, the handling of him has been curious. I think he can still play HBF, but he finally plays some good footy at the end of the year up forward, earns a new contract, now shifted back again. For someone who is more of an athelete than a footballer, i'm not sure if constantly switching him around will do his development any good. He needs a simple, clear role to play to get the best out of him.

Melksham was god awful when playing midfield last year, but similarly was rarely dangerous up forward. Could easily slip into obscurity given how quickly our senior players tend to decline.

Melkshams never been good in midfield, had a decade long career and never played well in midfield. Don't get it.
Hunt I agree with, his career won't last up forward but he atleast has a chance of making it as a back.

I think Hunt's a dud but he is very fast, isn't smart enough to use his pace up forward to apply pressure or be dangerous enough to warrant a consistent place in the side. Hope he does a lot of work with Choco on his kicking, if he gets it to a decent level he could play as a pure run and gun hbf, a la Conor McKenna.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* I need the footy to start, last night I dreamt we drafted a 50 year old Stephen Powell out of retirement with pick 188 in the draft.

fu** I need the footy to start, last night I dreamt we drafted a 50 year old Stephen Powell out of retirement with pick 188 in the draft.
which leads me to the question who is your favourite Cameo Melbourne player from another club? Nominations include: Stephen Powell, Byron Pickett, Peter Vardy, Jordan Lewis, Daniel Cross, Phil Read etc, less than 60 games qualifies as a cameo.

which leads me to the question who is your favourite Cameo Melbourne player from another club? Nominations include: Stephen Powell, Byron Pickett, Peter Vardy, Jordan Lewis, Daniel Cross, Phil Read etc, less than 60 games qualifies as a cameo.
Tom Gillies

Paul Johnson (JJ Liston winner)

Melkshams never been good in midfield, had a decade long career and never played well in midfield. Don't get it.
Hunt I agree with, his career won't last up forward but he atleast has a chance of making it as a back.

Sounds weird but I reckon Hunt is a pretty dumb footballer and playing back suits him more because traditionally you're only running one way whereas up forward you go forward and back. For someone who is quick and pretty hard at the ball his pressure up forward is non-existent.

Sounds weird but I reckon Hunt is a pretty dumb footballer and playing back suits him more because traditionally you're only running one way whereas up forward you go forward and back. For someone who is quick and pretty hard at the ball his pressure up forward is non-existent.
Also as a defender you don't need to be smart because your opponent can bring you to the ball. Plus he has the field infront of him to run.

Also as a defender you don't need to be smart because your opponent can bring you to the ball. Plus he has the field infront of him to run.

Yep. Don't get me wrong he is a decent finisher in front of goal but you and I both posted throughout the year in some of his games he'd kick 3 goals running into open goals but did literally nothing else for the game.

Oof that's a toughy, I did love Phil Read, being a campaigner for campaigners sake.

Daniel Cross because he played like he bled Melbourne.

Never really liked Lewis except when he belted Cripps.

Enjoyed Aiden Riley's ability to get 0 touches 4 spear tackles.

Tom Bugg anyone?

Yep. Don't get me wrong he is a decent finisher in front of goal but you and I both posted throughout the year in some of his games he'd kick 3 goals running into open goals but did literally nothing else for the game.

Hes ok at leading at the ball carrier and has a decent set shot. One trick pony forward though and especially with Brown now we don't need a straight line lead up forward

This is a great question. Love Crossy for his efforts in our darkest days, and had huge hopes for Mitch Clark before it all went to s**t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back