Training To hell and back but we never actually left hell (Preseason thread)

Daw's a pretty average player but is great swingman depth. Can play back, forward and chip out in the ruck. Need it with Brown, Weed out and who knows whats up with Petty. Plus Hore was kind of a third KPD when he played so bolsters that end as well.

lol people on demonland are so weird having a proper melt over us inviting Majak to train. We haven’t even signed him but anyone would think this means that we’re anointing him as a saviour rather than it just being a potential structural fit due to injuries

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
lol people on demonland are so weird having a proper melt over us inviting Majak to train. We haven’t even signed him but anyone would think this means that we’re anointing him as a saviour rather than it just being a potential structural fit due to injuries
Yeah I don't mind the idea of signing Daw he wont cost much and has shown some ability.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, probably comes in for 90k a year and like Mitch brown, can play 3 or 4 spots to fill in.

We could find another rookie 18 year old, but they aren't gonna fill the void if we lose any more KPPs like Daw can.

PS demonland. Lol.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've always dreamt of following a team where the forwardline consists of Mitch Brown and Majak Daw as our 2 KPF! This is going to be epic!

Majak Daw training with us.
An 11th hour ring in with some AFL experience, height and flexibility in where we play him. There isn't much more we could have done with that list spot.

I'll take it.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
I think I may have called it when I said I wanted Majak Daw on our list. Can't remember which post though, which kinda sucks.

The only potential downside to Maj is if taking him prevents us from recruiting a draftee who slipped through the COVID cracks last year should one emerge who we like, but I’m sure they’ll have a good grasp on what’s available before actually signing him.

Looking at our list now obviously we all have doubts over the quality of the best 22 but I can’t see too many spots overall, if any, which you’d say are being wasted. Probably everyone there deserves a spot on an AFL list (at this stage in their respective careers). Hunt, ANB and Joel Smith maybe in the category of blokes who’ve been around for a while and haven’t really come on, but still decent enough depth and have played decent enough footy that they’re not egregious inclusions by any means.

Very far cry from even 2018 when we made a prelim with a number of straight up hacks on the list. Maybe you wouldn’t want a lot of those blokes playing week in, week out, and there’s still a few pieces missing from what you’d consider a top side, but it makes a huge difference lifting up the standard of that bottom 15-20 or so IMO.

EDIT: hmmm...Jonesy...less said about that the better

Looking at our list now obviously we all have doubts over the quality of the best 22 but I can’t see too many spots overall, if any, which you’d say are being wasted. Probably everyone there deserves a spot on an AFL list (at this stage in their respective careers). Hunt, ANB and Joel Smith maybe in the category of blokes who’ve been around for a while and haven’t really come on, but still decent enough depth and have played decent enough footy that they’re not egregious inclusions by any means.

Very far cry from even 2018 when we made a prelim with a number of straight up hacks on the list. Maybe you wouldn’t want a lot of those blokes playing week in, week out, and there’s still a few pieces missing from what you’d consider a top side, but it makes a huge difference lifting up the standard of that bottom 15-20 or so IMO.

EDIT: hmmm...Jonesy...less said about that the better
ANB is the definition of a list clogger, plays a couple games a year, does nothing, shows zero potential and is just a spud. Jones is an old list clogger. Does anybody even know what Bradtke, Nietschke and Chandler look like? Hear nothing about them and they don't play, don't even know if they have any talent. Agree that it's much better than a couple years ago.

The only potential downside to Maj is if taking him prevents us from recruiting a draftee who slipped through the COVID cracks last year should one emerge who we like, but I’m sure they’ll have a good grasp on what’s available before actually signing him.
Pretty sure we have 1 spot left in the mid-season draft for when we move Hore to the LTI list.

ANB is the definition of a list clogger, plays a Does anybody even know what Bradtke, Nietschke and Chandler look like? Hear nothing about them and they don't play, don't even know if they have any talent.
Hence why I said at this stage of their career, almost any AFL list is going to have two-three season players who you don’t know much about. At least all of ours are on the rookie list (inc James Jordon).

ANB is no star but he’s literally never played in his best position at AFL level. Hopefully he doesn’t play this year and we have half forwards who go past him but IMO he had a very good 2018 for an out of position role player. Showed what he has the potential to be in a decent side, in the only year he’s actually played in one. Could very easily have played in three flags for Richmond given Daniel Rioli apparently deserved to. Doesn’t compare to the standard of spud we’ve had previously.

Agree re Jones though, don’t see any hope there.

Richardson on SEN this morning said best case Brown & Weid will be back by rounds 4-6

Also Pickets mum passed away so he is on a leave of absence too

Richardson on SEN this morning said best case Brown & Weid will be back by rounds 4-6

Also Pickets mum passed away so he is on a leave of absence too
Very sad for Kozzie, mum probably wouldn't have been that old too. Wouldn't blame him for taking an extended break and missing the pre season games or round 1.

Back