Training To hell and back but we never actually left hell (Preseason thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at our list now obviously we all have doubts over the quality of the best 22 but I can’t see too many spots overall, if any, which you’d say are being wasted. Probably everyone there deserves a spot on an AFL list (at this stage in their respective careers). Hunt, ANB and Joel Smith maybe in the category of blokes who’ve been around for a while and haven’t really come on, but still decent enough depth and have played decent enough footy that they’re not egregious inclusions by any means.

Very far cry from even 2018 when we made a prelim with a number of straight up hacks on the list. Maybe you wouldn’t want a lot of those blokes playing week in, week out, and there’s still a few pieces missing from what you’d consider a top side, but it makes a huge difference lifting up the standard of that bottom 15-20 or so IMO.

EDIT: hmmm...Jonesy...less said about that the better
I reckon our list is in far worse shape than 2018. Happy to be proven wrong but don’t recall much poo on that list and the part that mattered - the top 35 players - were much better.

I reckon our list is in far worse shape than 2018. Happy to be proven wrong but don’t recall much poo on that list and the part that mattered - the top 35 players - were much better.
It does feel like we've taken a step back doesn't it. But time will tell if the kids from the last 2 drafts can replace the Nev's, Hibberd's, Melksham's, Jones etc. Jackson, Kozzie and Rivers could be a boom for us tbh. If those 3 become elite(which they all are a chance to based on what we've seen and heard), then Oliver, Trac, Weid, Langdon, May, Lever, Brown should be still around for us to have a genuine tip at the flag.

Far worse? We’ve lost Hogan, Kent, Frost, Tyson, Hannan, Vince, Pedersen, Lewis and OMac and Garlett (none of whom other than Hogan had particularly good years) and picked up May, Langdon, Brown, Tomlinson, Lockhart, Sparrow, Pickett, Rivers, Jackson and the new draftees. Seems like a net win to me. Not sure who of those 2018 players would consistently make us a better side now, and who you’d give up to get them back.

Have also cleared out dead weight like Balic, Bugg, JKH, McKenna, Spencer, Stretch, J Wagner and Ben Kennedy as well as your Mitch King types. I don’t know if I’d put any of our current players in that category.

Far worse? We’ve lost Hogan, Kent, Frost, Tyson, Hannan, Vince, Pedersen, Lewis and OMac and Garlett (none of whom other than Hogan had particularly good years) and picked up May, Langdon, Brown, Tomlinson, Lockhart, Sparrow, Pickett, Rivers, Jackson and the new draftees. Seems like a net win to me. Not sure who of those 2018 players would consistently make us a better side now, and who you’d give up to get them back.

Have also cleared out dead weight like Balic, Bugg, JKH, McKenna, Spencer, Stretch, J Wagner and Ben Kennedy as well as your Mitch King types. I don’t know if I’d put any of our current players in that category.
May and Langdon were top 5 in our b&f, the only person on the list of players gone who could do that is Hogan, but we all know how that turned out, Frosty could finish high up if he was the main man and we were trash.
Also who from the top would still be best 22 if their best times at Melbourne were replicated for 2021, i've got Hogan, Frost, Vince, Garlett. 7 best 22 players in the bottom, most not even at their peak.

Well said G2B. The elimination of the list cloggers is what I like - I'd much rather have Jordon, Bedford, Chandler, Bradtke etc on the list for 3-4 years, on low wages, continuing to develop, than a whole bunch of depth players taking an extra 50-100k than them per year, and getting the hump when not selected.

May and Langdon were top 5 in our b&f, the only person on the list of players gone who could do that is Hogan, but we all know how that turned out, Frosty could finish high up if he was the main man and we were trash.
Also who from the top would still be best 22 if their best times at Melbourne were replicated for 2021, i've got Hogan, Frost, Vince, Garlett. 7 best 22 players in the bottom, most not even at their peak.
It’s peak MFCSS to say that the list is worse than it was in 2018 lol, or at least huge overrating of a few blokes who were well past it by then.

Some of our older heads who we relied upon heavily in 2018 have declined perhaps but that’s not the same as the list being in worse shape. Jetta, Jones, TMac and Melksham are all substantially down on performance but the first two were already slowing and the latter two have been impacted by form, injury and structure. Hibberd was rubbish in 2018/19 and almost at his best in 2020. We have fewer players at their peak now, challenge is getting them there.

Last edited:
It’s peak MFCSS to say that the list is worse than it was in 2018 lol, or at least huge overrating of a few blokes who were well past it by then.

Some of our older heads who we relied upon heavily in 2018 have declined perhaps but that’s not the same as the list being in worse shape. Jetta, Jones, TMac and Melksham are all substantially down on performance but the first two were already slowing and the latter two have been impacted by form, injury and structure. Hibberd was rubbish in 2018/19 and almost at his best in 2020. We have fewer players at their peak now, challenge is getting them there.

The 2018 list was pox
Defence was crap, it's a 100 times better now
Oliver is probably the same player, Petracca is a superstar now.
We had Tyson on a ******* wing, Langdon is shitloads better.
Hogan was good, but he beat up on s**t.
We've improved the list. We were better this year than 18 across the whole year. Just a couple game slump hurt us

The 2018 list was pox
Defence was crap, it's a 100 times better now
Oliver is probably the same player, Petracca is a superstar now.
We had Tyson on a ******* wing, Langdon is shitloads better.
Hogan was good, but he beat up on sh*t.
We've improved the list. We were better this year than 18 across the whole year. Just a couple game slump hurt us
Begs the question - if our list is better and we made a prelim, what's the problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd trade half the list for Bugg and Vince back TBH.

Hogan was good, but he beat up on sh*t.
tbf if we had a forward who could beat up on s**t we may have pinched one of the Sydney & Freo games and played finals

Of course that is if we were getting the 2018 version and not the 2020 version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back